“Horrible customer service, Over sells shows”

The American Comedy Company
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This place SUCKS!

We pre-purchased tickets for a comedy show starting at 930. We arrived around 9 and there were ~10 people on line so we went for a drink. Came back around 920 and there was a line down the block. We joined the line b/c there was only one line so we assumed everyone else on the line had pre-purchased as well.

A security guard came down the line and announced that there was a 2 item minimum per person once we entered the venue. That wasn't printed on my ticket, so I found it a bit disturbing, but I was there already and wanted to see the show.

After 10-15 mins of people being let in someone came around and announced that if anyone was purchasing tickets at the door they would have to wait at the end of the line. Why weren't they doing that from the beginning?

A few people before my party and I were to be let in it was announced that it was standing took only from that point. Wtf?! There were about 15 of us left that had prepaid and about 6 left that hadn't. Most of us didn't want to stand for a 2 hr show, so we asked to speak to the manager.

The manager refused to come up, that is until a cop arrived. The cop talked with the manager, Danny to see what could be done and Danny refused to do anything (no transfers, no refunds) so the cop urged us to file a civil suit.

Eventually Danny agreed that if we put out name on a list we could come to the next evening's show. The next evening was Sunday and most of us have work Monday so we asked if there were any other options. He gave us the contact info for the director of marketing and urged us to contact him if that was the case. I emailed the guy 3 days ago and still no response...

I'm $87 bucks down and I am NOT a happy camper.

1  Thank NY2theWorld

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Went on a lark. Thursday night very sparse crowd. $20 each to get in AND two item minimum. Girls ordered diet coke x 2 each but got charged for all you can drink $10 each. Crown and diet $12 each. Over $100 dropped. 8th grade humor at best. Laughed 10% at best. Each comic kept singling out the lone black guy in front for humor. Not cool. Would find better venue for comedy.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My partner and I went to the American comedy company to watch the hilarious Charlie Murphy, with the show start time at 09:30 pm. After waiting outside since 08:30pm, we were allowed to enter the club at exactly 09:30, placed in our seats and waited another 40 minutes for the show to start whilst staff rushed around trying to place orders as best they could. Once the show began, we realised the people that had ordered food and drinks around 20 mins after us were receiving their food first. We waited around and hour for our drinks to be brought to the table and received one of our 2 food orders another 20 mins later. We then awaited our next meal only to be told that it had ran out and we would need to choose something else. Well we didn't even get the food until the show was over at 11:30 pm at night. Such an unorganised place. The acts are awesome but management needs to do some serious re planning for future events here.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

It was fun but the two item minimum per person was a little too much. First time going there and I wish I knew that because I went to two different restaurants and bars and I was already full and wasted by the time I got there. Also there was an annoying guy that kept complaining that our table was too loud even though we werent and the server messed up our order but we got a free patron shot for it.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I attended the 7 pm New Years Eve show. Each ticket was priced at $50, which included: the show, hors d'oeuvres, champagne, and party favors.

We were seated in the middle of the audience area in front of a table occupied by 4 others. We waited a few moments to for a server, but no one came around. My husband walked back to the bar to get our drinks instead of continuing to wait, which he did on a second occasion as well. Not once during the entirety of the show were either of us asked if we would like to order drinks or food. The place was obviously very busy and likely poorly understaffed for a New Years Eve event. No hors d'oeuvres, champagne, or party favors were offered to us. We did not not get to toast the east coast new years in with everyone else as we had hope to. After the show we caught a waitress and asked to speak to someone in charge. After waiting for about 5 minutes we decided to leave due to other reservations we had across town.

So that was are in house experience, which obviously wasn't up to par, but it gets worse. The following day I emailed the establishment expressing my complaint with lack of service and how believe it or not, it was like my husband and I were invisible to the staff. The response I received was this, "My jaw dropped. We've had nothing but rave reviews. What did the manager say when you approached him about this? You allowed him to fix it before you left yes". Nothing more or less. Simply that. I responded thanking whomever it was for getting back to me. I told them I too was surprised and disappointed. I also stated we were not able to see a manager and I hoped they could make it right.

I did not receive a response to the follow up email so that evening I called and spoke the the Manager on Duty, Patrick. I told him I had received an email from someone there, but no follow up. I told him the story and he asked me to forward the emails to him and he would get back to me. I did so. I am not quite sure what the emails had to do with taking care of the customers concern. The email was not the issue, the service was. I also email him asking to please reimburse our ticket costs and thanked him. After a couple of days of not hearing back I called the American Comedy Co. again and spoke to Patrick again. I confirmed with him that he had received my emails said he had to talk to the OWNER about the situation.

Last Thursday I sent an email to Patrick asking for the Owner's contact information and guess what? No response.

This whole thing is due to poor customer service all the way around with this company. We were very excited to try this place out on such a great night. We spent our hard earned money at their establishment and weren't even offered what supposed to be included. Neither of us are complainers and were very tolerant (much too tolerant). Looking back one of us should have chased down a server, but we shouldn't have to when it comes down to it. Not when we are paying $50/ticket and a bar tab. And when can't a manager handle a customer issue such as this? Taking it to the owner? Badly ran business. Poor customer service.

As far as rating the show.... Bobby Lee was fantastic!
The food: I have no idea
The drinks: They had a tasty Malbec, but no hot chocolate or Irish Coffee.