“Upscale Hillcrest”
Review of Chocolat

Chocolat
Ranked #23 of 159 Dessert in San Diego
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Chocolat, 5th Av and University in Hillcrest District. Eclectic combination of bistro fare with fine wines and beers, breakfast, as well as gelatos.
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Don't be confused by the name, not only do they serve many desserts, gelato, and numerous pastries, but they have a full menu for lunch or dinner. I have had lunch there twice in the past 2 weeks and was pleasantly surprised both times. Panini's are wonderfully delicious, and the selections are very interesting.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We were told that the restaurant was much more than just desserts...although the gelato is spectacular and surpasses most we had in Italy. There is a large selection of crepes, both sweet and savory. However, both evenings, (yes, we went back the next night) we had potato gnocchi and pizzas. All the pizzas we sampled were tasty but the gnocchi was outstanding. We highly recommend the restaurant which has an authentic Italian Chef!

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Only went to get gelato so this is not a review of the rest of the menu. However, Chocolat is worth a trip just for their Gelato. Very rich and creamy.

1  Thank LesfromSanDiego
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Okay, so we've eaten gelato there two nights in a row. That should tell you something. The gelato is very dense and very flavorful. True to their name, they have several different versions of chocolate gelato including a spicy (pepper) chocolate. The service tonight left a little to be desired. I told the clerk two times which gelato flavor I wanted, and I still got the wrong one. I think she had her mind up what I really wanted. She acted as if I didn't exist through the whole transaction. Still, I was there for the gelato and not for her. So, the score so reflects.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is my go to place on fridays for ice cream treat. They also have a wide selection of crepes. Highly recommended!