“AMAZING GELATO & CREPES”
Review of Chocolat

Chocolat
Ranked #23 of 161 Dessert in San Diego
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Chocolat, 5th Av and University in Hillcrest District. Eclectic combination of bistro fare with fine wines and beers, breakfast, as well as gelatos.
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have actually been here 3 times and EVERY single time I have been here, both the food & service have been great!
The GELATO is the best I have had outside of Italy! Every flavor myself or my friends have ordered has been amazing! I like the gelato inspired mixed drinks too! That's a bonus, gelato & alcohol! :)
Food wise I have eaten the rosemary chicken panini & it was so flavorful & yummy, my favorite savory crepe is the portobello mushroom & gruyere cheese is so light and creamy. The portobello mushrooms are sliced very thin & the gruyere is a smooth creamy richness that just pulls it all together with the light wonderful crepe.
I haven't tried the pizza yet, that will be next trip, but basically you can't go wrong here.

I have eaten at both the Hillcrest & downtown location & of course the hillcrest is a bit more hipster, laid back & the downtown more flashy but both great service & food!

You can't pass this restaurant by if you are in either location!!!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My best friend and I were planning to visit another place in Hillcrest but this was on the way and we just stopped in our tracks. The place was bright, clean, trendy, and modern. Just my kind of place. We both ordered the breakfast flatbread that arrived on a small cutting board, topped with the best over-easy eggs I had. Maybe the goodness of the egg broken on the flatbread and mixed with cheese and herbs made it taste better. I don't know. But I'll order it again when I come back. The coffee was great (I had my own little coffee pot on the table). I know it was breakfast time but we had to get the dessert...hazelnut flour-less chocolate cake with chocolate ganache. The best ever! We were very happy girls when we left! The servers were outstanding. I had the best experience here.

1  Thank CultureLush
Reviewed July 22, 2013

For the price $4 for one scoop, $5 for two, I expected top-notch gelato. Both flavors I ordered were too sweet and lacked intensity, though the texture was good. The cone was stale. Friendly staff is definitely a plus, but I'll be looking elsewhere for my ice cream fix.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were looking for a light late night meal, and had some wonderful savory crepes here. What we could see with the other diners looked equally well prepared and delicious. A little pricey, but the quality is what you pay for. The real treat here is the gelato, probably the best I've had this side of New York. Creamy smooth with I'm guessing 20 different flavors, AND they serve a decent portion. Eat in or take out.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I've only had gelato at Chocolat, but I thought it was amazing. I was back there recently and had one scoop of chocolate with grand marnier and one scoop of chocolate with jalapeño. This is serious gelato. I don't live in the area, but I'm going to try dinner there the next time I visit. I'll be very happy if their entrees are as good as their gelato.