“Very good gelato”
Review of Chocolat

Chocolat
Ranked #18 of 152 Dessert in San Diego
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Chocolat, 5th Av and University in Hillcrest District. Eclectic combination of bistro fare with fine wines and beers, breakfast, as well as gelatos.
Palm Desert, California
“Very good gelato”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I've only had the gelato here. The chocolate with Grand Marnier was excellent. At first I thought one scoop was expensive, but they give a really big scoop. I'll be back.

• Visited April 2013

San Diego, California
“Creme de la creme”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Really good gelato! They have an extensive menu of other items such as crepes and panini but I have never had anything besides the gelato. For a rather small shop, it has an extensive menu and they serve espressos and liqueurs as well.

• Visited January 2013
La Jolla
“Great find”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My youngest daughter has been asking to go to Chocolat for the last year, & I hesitantly agreed to take. I wasn't expecting anything fabulous. We ended up going for dinner and dessert. To our surprize, the food was very good, service excellent. Dessert was pretty good. One daughter ordered a berry crepe, it was not very good & we actually ended up not eatting it, one of the gelatos (caramel) wwas not a big hit at the table either. My other daughterordered the melon gelato, which she devoured. I had the Baba Rum which was also delish! We will be heading back there again....and again.....and again :-)

• Visited March 2013
Los Angeles
“Great dessert in the Gaslamp!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Delicious crepes and gelato as well as savory sandwiches, etc. And they serve liquors that they mix with the desserts--clever and beautifully served. Bright fun decor, and you would be totally comfortable sitting in here by yourself, which I always look for. Great place for a chocolate fix (chocolate banana crepes were large-could have been split); and it was a nice ending to our walk through the Gaslamp. I look forward to my next SD trip to re-visit.

• Visited January 2013
San Diego, California
“Still drooling...”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

So many menu choices, it was hard to decide what to order. Finally went with a Prosciutto & Gruyere panini for the male carnivore (who also enjoyed the salad that came with it), while I opted for the Pollo Calabrese (grilled chicken breast topped with Italian sausage, mushrooms, onions, and cherry tomatoes in a Marsala cream sauce--light on the cream, which I prefer). Panini was grilled just right...and chicken breast was flavorful and juicy. Chicken came with golden fingerlng potatoes roasted to creamy perfection, and the portion size was big enough for take-home left-overs. Dessert was an equally difficult choice, which required sampling several of the gelato flavors first (high up on the list were pistachio, peanut butter, and Grand Marnier). Ultimately it came down to a custom crepe (strawberries and bananas with mascarpone cheese, dusted with powder sugar, and 2 scoops of gelato (macadamia and espresso). Our waitress brought us a small cup of complimentary gelato at the end of our meal when she brought our check...pineapple and strawberry, both of which were tastebud treats. So sorry we didn't get her name, because she was great, but we blame it on the food fog we were in! Still drooling over all the other menu choices, so we'll definitely be back.

• Visited December 2012