“good location for tourist”

WorldMark San Diego - Balboa Park
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 14, 2013

At first it seemed that we were too far away from the touristy places but then we got a bus pass. We got a card that we refilled every day for $5. The bus system made everyplace that we wanted to go possible. The hotel is a couple of blocks from a main station called college station. We got our tickets from a vending machine with the assist from a transit police lady. The next few days we did it on our own. The busses and trolleys go everywhere and frequently.
The hotel was a one bedroom with a small kitchen, small sitting area, small dining area. We only eat breakfast and drink coffee in the room so it was great for us. There was a tv in the sitting area and the bedroom. We were on the go all day. It was fun in the morning to watch the kids walk to school. The hotel is across the street from the high school and the community college. On the top floor, rooftop, is a nice sitting area. There are also gas grills there if you want to cook.
The front desk people were very nice and informative. They could answer all our questions with a smile.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Love having a condo for a stay. This WorldMark is smaller than all other WorldMark places we've stayed. Not that it's cramped, just smaller than you would expect of this brand. Not that great a location across from City College and no pool. They claim you could walk to Balboa Park or downtown to Gaslamp Quarter...not me, anyway. Inadequate parking for all guests is a real bummer and this one charges $20 per day to park. That's the worst! We much prefer the Mission Valley WorldMark for its location in the heart of Mission Valley.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chilvr
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Once I was checked in and relaxing in my room I felt better after driving from Angel's Camp, CA. during LA rush hour traffic. I had a studio overlooking Park Blvd. across from San Diego City College (11th and A Street). Just across the street from the hotel, a McDonald's is open 24 hours/day. Other fast food places are within easy walking distance. Getting there was interesting due to the one way streets and the on ramp to/from 163. Limited parking only and $20 per night. The first night since they were sold out, I needed to pay $15 for 24 hours at another parking lot within view of the hotel. Homeless people were camped on the outskirts of the lot yet did not bother me. I used the hotel as a base as I did my excursions to OB, Mission and Pacific Beaches, etc. therefore I didn't walk around that area. Gaslight district (clubs and restaurants) is not far yet I don't think I would walk there and back at night. Petco Stadium is also in that district. I understand Worldmark just bought 3 more properties, one of which is up the hill from this location and in a better neighborhood. I also took the opportunity to find the Mission Valley location which is a tad interesting to find - very secluded, much larger, and has parking. Chris (?), at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. The roof has a lovely area to see the view and relax in the lounges. I didn't partake as I was off each of my three days visiting my old haunts.

Room Tip: I had a corner room on the third floor. I could see the off ramp well and see the green grass of SD...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Gramadragon
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed here for a week in July on a family vacation for Comic Con. Great location - just two blocks to the train. The unit was a large studio with a full size kitchen. Staff was very nice and accomodating. Parking does cost $20 a day but it has security and was a better bet than parking on the street. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing out. Some have interior views which is pretty much looking across at other room...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Debra N
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a nice property located within walking distance of many of the downtown areas and attractions. Not much in the way of amenities, no pool, no grounds, but the rooms are very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wade H
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Not much to add to what was previously stated about the hotel, except that there is a pattern to which rooms have a view. All the odd number rooms seem to look out to the city from all 4 sides. However the even numbered rooms all just look into the inner air shaft. Luckily, it 75% of the rooms look outward. Maybe you can use this at check in to try to get a better room. Room 301 looks west, toward the main part of downtown.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Fred3nPhx
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This resort was being remodeled while we stayed there - all new carpeting, The work was done with minimal discomfort to customers but it still detracted from the overall experience. Staff is very helpful. Business office and common rooms including game room were well appointed. The pool is small and in shadow much of the day as it is between sections of the resort. Several restaurants are within walking distance. We used the exercise facilities daily.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family