“Nice and clean”

Ranked #13 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego
“Nice and clean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2006

Nice Hotel, I suggest that you become a Select member. The prices of the bar/refrigerator items in your room are crazy. If you are a select member one of the things you get is complementary beverages in the morning, which is nice. The rooms are very small, but clean. I will say I got a good price from Priceliine, but would never pay the full price. The only downfall is the parking $24.00 a day. Should be a lot cheaper for guest!!!!

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank Jason R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Indonesian first
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2006

Enjoyed the Omni!!

Positives:
+ Soft Blankets....Huge Bed
+ Bathroom!! (I love the fact that there are blinds from the bedroom and the doors are sliding....Love it!!)
+ I requested to be placed on one of the higher floors with a view of the Bay and I received both.

Could be Improved Upon:
+ hmmmmm.....I only stayed one night....so I didn't utilize too many of the hotel's services...
+ Would've like a bigger bath tub....but probably needed to shell out some more dough.
+ Revolving bed. =)

In my eyes it was worth a one weekend splurge.

Stayed June 2006
3 Thank schmudu
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2006

The Omni San Diego is right across the street from the Convention Center, which is nice. It sits beside the Hilton and adjacent to the in-construction Hard Rock Hotel. It is connected to the San Diego Padres' stadium Petco Park via a 5th floor Skywalk which takes you directly to the stadium. The Omni actually has ballpark view which allow you to see into the stadium. That's pretty neat. Definitely the place to stay if you're going to see a Padres game. There are actually about 5 tables with seats on the 6th floor that allow you to do work and look into the stadium. The 6th floor also has a decent and quiet seating area to do some work (across from the fitness center). Pool is nice, a bit small for the size of the hotel, but heated. There is also a nice little hot tub. Not a big pool area though, compared to the Hyatt Manchester Grand down the road. Hotel is very clean and has a nice, modern look. It looks brand new actually. Rooms are nice and are cleaned efficiently and quickly. Turndown service with some chocolates at night are nice (for Omni Select Guests). Select Guests also receive free coffee or orange/grapefruit juice in the morning along with their choice of newspaper. It's delivered right to the door. A nice touch. My family had a bay view on the 19th floor with excellent views of Coronado Bridge, Coronado Island, Point Loma, and down Harbor Drive (where you can see past the Marriott, Hyatt, and to the Embassy Suites. Very pleased with my stay. Staff is nice and courteous.

Complaints: What is the deal with the bathroom door? There is a sliding door with a frosted plexiglass window separating the bathroom from the bedroom. A silhouette is clearly seen through the door. There are even cracks in the side so anyone walking by can see. The Omni might has well have hanged a sheet or piece of plastic in between the bathroom and bedroom. It was so annoying. There is a complete lack of privacy and you have to essentially tell people not to get near the bathroom when you are in there. Bathroom is nice, with nice shelving, but the door needs to go! Also, the $24/night valet parking is outrageous. The valet guys are annoying as well and aren't very efficient. I would prefer a lot to park in where I could come and go as I please. Also, due to the location being in downtown, and there is a lot of construction all over downtown, there can be banging throughout the day. Also, while being beside the train tracks is nice because of trolley service, there are also freight trains that use that tracks (mostly at night) and you can expect to hear train horns and whistles a couple of times an hour throughout the night.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank sekashi010
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2006

My wife and I spent Memorial Day weekend in San Diego and stayed at the Omni. Here is my review:

The Good:
-Location: Right next to Petco and the gaslamp district. We walked to Seaport Village and Horton Plaza while we were there. The location really cant be beat.

-Clean: The room was very clean and well kept.

The Bad:
-Valet: On three seperate occasions i called down to have our car pulled up, but the valet wouldnt even pick up my call. I understand that they were very busy with the holiday weekend, but if i am going to pay close to $30 a day in parking i should have stellar service. My advice is to park across the street...its cheaper and you can access your car without dealing with the inept valet service.

-Room: A lot smaller than expected....expected a lot more for the price. Not worth the money in my opinion.

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank KauaiNewbie
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2006

My boyfriend and I spent Cinco de Mayo weekend at the Omni San Diego and had a marvelous time! The location of the hotel is hard to beat...adjacent to the Gaslamp District, steps away from the trolley and connected by pedestrian bridge to Petco Park. That was a plus...it took us 5 mins to get from our room to our seats!

All of the Omni staff we came in contact with were incredibly cordial and helpful. We decided to do the $24/day valet parking after all, just because of the convenience and the in/out privledges (even though we didn't even need the car the whole weekend!). They do park the car in the same lot as the $9/day self park lot across the street, but I didn't mind paying extra for the convenience.

Upon check-in we were given a 20% off coupon for the McCormick and Schmicks restaurant in the lobby...quite a good deal!! The food was good and actually, even if you are not staying at the hotel and eat there, you can use the convenient pedestrian bridge to Petco Park.

We reserved a King room. The room was not super large but definitely fine and cozy for 2 people. It was a busy weekend so unfortunately we couldn't get an ocean view room and instead got a view of the city. There is quite a lot of construction going on so we did hear some of that on Fri and Sat, but the windows are pretty thick so it wasn't too bad nor an issue for us. The bed was extremely comfy, and the bathroom was huge considering the overall size of the room. We didn't have those wierd slats like others have complained about (between the bedroom and bath) but I must agree the hotel walls are quite thin. This only bugged me the first night..unfortunately I could hear the couple next door having a "good time." But, earplugs were the easy solution and I slept like a baby. There were no noise issues for us the second night at all. Unfortunately the bathroom doesn't have a fan, we thought that was a little strange. But we did like the fact that you can open the bedroom windows.

We used the gym both days and really liked the setup. The orange water, apples/oranges, towels and spotless facility were definite plusses. The pool area looked really nice, but we didn't use it due to the cool and gloomy weather that weekend.

Do register for the Omni's Select Guest Program....the room was set up to our specs (extra towels, turndown service, get fit kit) and we really enjoy the complimentary morning beverage service. The other great advantage is late check out! We left by 230 but Select Guests can stay as late as 5pm.

All in all our stay at the Omni San Diego was great. We were there for a getaway weekend (we live in LA) and came back rejuvenated and relaxed! The service is fantastic and we will be back.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank superez
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2006

We were in town for a Padres/Dodgers game and decided to stay at the Omni. The proximity of the hotel to the Gaslamp area and Petco Park make the location perfect for exploring San Diego. The hotel lived up to the reviews- easy check-in, early check-in accomodated, comfortable and well furnished rooms, and the most efficient bell staff I have ever encountered! The valet seemed "disappointed' when I mentioned we would be self-parking across the street... great tip TripAdvisor members, thanks! We did not have a view of the water or ballpark but the bellman did arrange for us to be moved to a higher floor so we were not looking directly into the parking structure. The Downtown area is undergoing an incredible building boom so it is unavoidable that all rooms facing the front will have a view of construction. Joining the Omni Select Guest program expedites reservations, preferences and the morning beverages and paper (delivered to your door). There is a coffeemaker in the room but take advantage of the SG free additional beverages of choice. You can also add on a muffin or bagel for a couple of bucks a piece. Most places charge more than twice that amount. If you appreciate quality amenities and attention to detail, the Omni does not disappoint. Now on to the question of the bathroom "door". Our bathroom had a frosted- glass wood framed "door" that rolls on a suspended track rather than being attached with hinges. And yes, therefore, there is not a sealed door but... the spaciousness of the bathroom, huge tub/shower with great water pressure , quality towels and amenities more than makes up for the unusual door. Actually, our curiousity contributed to our selecting the Omni. A great location!

7 Thank 101travelers
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2006

My husband and I recently spent a week at the Omni Hotel when he attended a conference. We loved the location: the conference centre was right across the street, the Omni is at the base of the Gaslamp District, and the public trolley is right outside the hotel. I took the trolley to go to a couple of malls on the outskirts of town - easy. Originally, my husband and I had a room just across from the elevator. We asked for a room change and got moved up a few floors and with a great view of the bay! The concierge staff were very helpful in recommending restaurants, arranging a car rental etc. We had a great meal at Chive restaurant in the Gaslamp District. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2006