“Great location, comfortable beds”

Omni San Diego Hotel
Ranked #18 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 12, 2009

I really enjoyed my four days at the Omni. The bed has a pillow-top mattress, the sheets are smooth and soft and I was very comfortable. The room was quiet and had a nice view. The doormen always opened the door as smiled as we came and went. One night a noisy party started in the room next door at 2 AM. I called the desk and within 5 minutes hotel security diffused the party and I slept well the rest of the night. The front desk staff printed my departing flight boarding pass for me the morning I left. For the location, view, and courteous staff I would recommend the Omni to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PlainsDweller

Reviewed November 11, 2009

I was at the Omni just over 48 hours, and I spent most of the time going in and out. I became almost dependent on the parking valets who all turned out to be pleasant and helpful people. I couldn't have done this trip without their efficiency.

When I asked my travel service for a booking, I wanted to be close to the interstates, to the airport, and to downtown. To be at the foot of the Gaslight District and yet between the convention center and the baseball stadium was way, way over the top convenient -- though it made for some tricky traffic situations. I mainly used my 15th floor room's desk and Wifi when I was in, and I was pleased by the quiet up there even though there were planned events going on most of the time I was there. And even with guests arriving in gowns and formal wear, the valets got my car quickly and got me dispatched when I needed to go out.

My only problem came when I checked out at 5am Monday morning in order to catch a 7am flight. I decided to pay my bill with cash, and the hotel's billing computer and an inexperienced clerk couldn't make it work. My long stay at check-out brought out both the local hotel manager -- and then hotel security to see what was going on. When I got outside 20 minutes later, a smiling parking valet had my rental car there with my keys in his hand (worth a *big* tip :-) .

Nevertheless, I have **nothing but good things** to say about the Omni.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Forest20851
Reviewed November 6, 2009

if I hadn't booked through Priceline, I'd be totally furious. The Omni has scratchy sheets, similar to bargain chains. The basin in the sink had a huge crack and I'm guessing it has been that way for a while. When we were leaving, there were four doorman standing together nearby who ignored us in unison. As my companion pointed out, at least at bargain hotels, there's be only one door person to ignore the patrons. Also, valet parking is $30 - or $8 across the street for self parking. My recommendation: Do NOT pay full price for this hotel. You'll be sadly disappointed if you do.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LuxuryLinens
OmniSDManagement, General Manager at Omni San Diego Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2009

Dear LuxuryLinens,
Thank-you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel. I would like to extend my most sincere apology to you for the aspects of your stay that we did not meet your very reasonable expectations. Earlier this year, we upgraded our entire bedding package which included 250 thread count linen. For comparitive purposes, Consumer Reports states that cotton sheets with a thread count of 180-200 are considered satisfactory. I can only conclude that some form of deviation from our normal drying procedures may have negatively impacted softness. While an aberration, I do apologize for this less than satisfactory experience. I was also very concerned to read about your experience with our doormen. We absolutely understand that high performing hotels must create very positive first and last impressions and fortunately, based upon our #1 TripAdvisor rating among downtown San Diego hotels, we are normally very effective at creating positive arrival and departure impressions. Again, I sincerely apologize for your experience and hasten to add that your comments have been very helpful to us in re-focusing our efforts in this regard. Thank-you for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Brian Hughes

Reviewed November 3, 2009

OK, I was a Priceline traveler, so those who pay in full might not share my enthusiasm. But I was not singled out as a Priceline traveler. I was even allowed to enter my Omni laylaty program number, which gave me a) free WiFi, b) free beverage every morning and c) a choice of newspapers - free. The room was big, right at the edge of the Gaslamp quarter, right on the other side of the tracks of the convention center. Cheerful employees. Ear buds for the odd train at night. What more could one ask for?

Reviewed November 3, 2009

I requested a non-smoking room. They didn't have any left and forced me to stay in a non-smoking room. Ughh! For this kind of money, you would expect more.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank juliogulio
OmniSDManagement, General Manager at Omni San Diego Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2009

Dear Juliogulio, Thank-you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel. I am very sorry that your room assignment impacted the enjoyment of your stay with us. We endeavor to accomodate all guest requests and while we are successful most of the time, I am very sensitive to the rare occasion where we are sold out and we have a shortfall in non-smoking rooms. Our housekeeping team works very hard to make sure that all rooms are clean, including air quality and an inviting first impression. I hope that we will have the opportunity restore your confidence in us soon. Again, please accept my most sincere apology.

Reviewed November 1, 2009

This is mid-sized well run hotel in the middle of the action in downtown San Diego. It's a short walk to the convention center in one direction and the Gaslamp District in the other direction. Also, I could see Petco Park outside my window--you guessed it, a few blocks away. All in all, the stay was very satisfying. I had an end room with a very nice view. The only downside (probably true of any hotel in the immediate area) was the passing train traffic making a commotion quite often throughout the day. Were I not a good sleeper, it would have been a more significant problem. Service was prompt, pleasant and very good. While there were some convention meetings going on at the hotel, it was much less busy than the larger Hilton and Marriott that also tend to serve the convention crowd. All in all, this was a good choice.

1  Thank JLTP
Reviewed October 21, 2009

We stayed at the Omni San Diego for around a week while I attended a conference. It doesn't have the flashy new building which the Hilton does across the street, but it is the one we would definitely prefer to stay in. The moment we arrived we were greeted by friendly and helpful staff. The rooms are clean and comfortable and it is conveniently located across from the convention center and Gaslamp district. The staff are exceptional: friendly and professional. During our week there, we were constantly impressed on how the little things were done well.
Sign up online for their Select program and your stay includes free wifi, beverages in the morning, and newspapers. Very nice touches. The room had wired and wireless internet with stable and fast connections, and important consideration if you're on a work trip.
There are a couple of negatives, the first being poor “smell insulation” from the bathroom to the bedroom (separated by an “open concept” wooden panel, not a wall), and the second being poor sound insulation between rooms. For example, during the initial part of our stay, we had an issue because the guests next door decided to hold all night parties throughout the weekend. To be fair, this was not a fault of the hotel that some of their guests were unruly. On the second night we phoned to complain (thrice!!) between 1am and 3am in the morning. The hotel promptly sent up the security guard, and later the manager. The next morning, the hotel staff reassigned us to a quieter, nicer room (thank you) and the night manager even sent a handwritten letter to apologise. Later I learnt that they decided not to rent out our room for another few days, till the noisy guests had left.
The responsiveness of the staff and their good service really stood out for us. We will definitely be back to stay at the Omni the next time we're in San Diego.

1  Thank kwanghui