“They make you feel like family.”

Omni San Diego Hotel
Ranked #18 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Excellent customer service from the time we stepped out of the car to check in, up to the time we checked out. Very kid friendly hotel. They provide bag full of books as well a gift bag for kids o take home. Our bellman ( i forgot his name ) walked us up to our room and provided information about the area. He answered all our questions and more. Riley, the valet was helpful as well. They both took their time talking to my son joseph and exchange numerous high fives. We stayed here from 4/28-5/1. The only thing i would recommend would be the beds. They were not comfortable at all. Our mattress had an indent in the middle which made it hard to get comfortable and i needed up just sleeping on the floor (2011) Thank you Omni staff for making our first omni experience an awesome one.

• Stayed: April 2013
There are newer reviews for Omni San Diego Hotel

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We LOVE staying at the Omni San Diego!

We got hooked on Omnis with the upgrade to suites & morning beverage service some years ago through their FREE Select Guest program. Can't be beat.

ALL the staff is wonderful and service oriented but particularly Asst Front Desk Manager Angelo Gomez helped make our multiple night stay great along with their terrific concierge Mark Schoenberg.

Regarding our rooms, THE BEDS!!!!! I could sleep in their comfy, snuggly duvet Omni beds like Rip Van Winkle forever! :-) We are perplexed however by previous reviews here about noise. We were on the 17th floor and we heard NOTHING. In fact, I mentioned how danged quiet it was to my family during our stay considering the SD Padres & SF Giants were playing consecutive games next door at PETCO Park and with the 4000+ person Occupational Therapy convention across the street with many attendees staying at the hotel. Hhhmmmm....

I AM glad to read about the parking lot across the street availability as an option, instead of buying the Valet/Breakfast package possibly for next time. Although the convinience of valet is terrific, the breakfasts at McCormick & Schmidts in the hotel were decent but pricey. We also expected a little more flare or variety for a restaurant of its' calibre. Somewhat lackluster. (Server Chris from Oklahoma/England was a delight though!) The Broken Yoke up the street has MANY unique choices & with wide variety. I had "lunch" for breakfast.

Thank you Omni for a memorable and happy trip!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The hotel common areas were all well kept and very attractive, the staff was fantastic and incredibly helpful, the rooms were clean and comfortable, and the location was great for visiting the Gas Lamp District. We were also on a high enough floor that the view was great (if you look past the train tracks!). Those are the good things. Now the issues. We were on the 18th floor so the noise from the trains and the street wasn't as problematic as many reviewers found it to be. However, the walls are paper thin and we were awoken each morning by the sound of the shower coming from the room next door. All this would probably have been ok, but the bathroom was a major issue. Who designs a bathroom that has doors that don't close all the way and has a wall that has louvers that don't close completely and are RIGHT NEXT TO THE BED? Even if you are staying by yourself, that makes no sense. It reminded me of the jail cells you see that have the toilet right there in the corner. Not appropriate for a "luxury" hotel. Fix that issue and it would definitely be a place that i would stay again.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Omni for a little two night vacation from our busy work schedules in Los Angeles. I had mentioned when making my reservation that it was our fist time to their hotel and it was my son’s first time in San Diego. When we arrived, we were promptly greeted by the valet and doormen. Both were extremely polite and helpful. The Front Desk staff were kind and helpful with the questions that we had with regards to visiting Sea World, the Wild Animal Park and local restaurants that were best suited for a 22 month old. When we arrived to our room, the hotel had graciously upgraded us to a junior suite and had 2 cookies and milk waiting for my son. (How awesome was that!!) The room was clean and well appointed with a view of the pool and bay.
Housekeeping was amazing too. I had found a room attendant the following day and asked if she didn’t mind having a microwave brought to our room when they serviced it to heat up my sons food that was in a cooler. She happily acknowledged and continued with the room she was going to service. Later that night, we came back to a room with a microwave AND a refrigerator that was cool enough to store his food. Talk about being proactive!
I have stayed at other hotels in the area and did enjoy them, but the Omni San Diego is BY FAR the best in town. My previous experience with the Gas Lamp District has changed with one visit to the Omni. They are the best.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2013

It really is a gorgeous hotel, and it's very close to the convention center. I had a beautiful view of the harbor, and the sliding glass doors opened to a great view of the pool. and the bed was comfortable and the room dark at night. Also, great tv with lots of channels. That being true, I was there for a week, and it is not a quiet hotel. At one point I had to call the front desk, because it sounded like someone was dropping marbles on the floor above me for over 20 minutes.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I visited this hotel for the first time in April 2013 for a 5 night stay connected to a work conference.

Overalll the hotel is very nice, finished to a high standard, roomds decent sizes, beds comfortable, bathrooms well appointed and ok wifi for free (you have to pay for premium speeds).

The only real downside of this hotel is the noise. And this comes from two sources.

Firstly the walls are paper thin. It was excerbated for me with a locked connecting door through to the room next door. I could hear every word of every conversation, toilet visit, TV continously etc. I have never in 30 years of visiting hotels experienced such poor noise insulation between rooms.

Even from the room without the connecting door sound travelled extremely easily through the walls.

Noise from outside the hotel was also fairly loud and I was on the 16th floor.

This noise problem would be enough to stop me staying again at this hotel and unless you are a heavy sleeper or are booked in there for a conference, I would chose another hotel.

Great shame, as everything else was just fine.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sydneytravelbug71
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni San Diego Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

We apologize for the noise issues you experienced during your stay. We are happy to accommodate a room change when our occupancy allows. We’re sorry that you had a connecting room. As far as outside noise is concerned, our windows are double-paned and well insulated, but being downtown there will be a certain amount of city noise we can’t control. While it may not be an ideal solution, we can also provide ear plugs for guests who are particularly light sleepers. We hope you might consider staying with in the future in a non-connected room.

Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I think I've stayed at the majority of hotels downtown and this is my favorite so far. Everyone was nice, rooms were great, room service was quick and good! I had a good night sleep and don't get that in most hotels. The room was quiet, there was a white light machine, windows opened. I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013