“GREAT hospitality and rooms!”

Omni San Diego Hotel
Ranked #13 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles
“GREAT hospitality and rooms!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We LOVE staying at the Omni San Diego!

We got hooked on Omnis with the upgrade to suites & morning beverage service some years ago through their FREE Select Guest program. Can't be beat.

ALL the staff is wonderful and service oriented but particularly Asst Front Desk Manager Angelo Gomez helped make our multiple night stay great along with their terrific concierge Mark Schoenberg.

Regarding our rooms, THE BEDS!!!!! I could sleep in their comfy, snuggly duvet Omni beds like Rip Van Winkle forever! :-) We are perplexed however by previous reviews here about noise. We were on the 17th floor and we heard NOTHING. In fact, I mentioned how danged quiet it was to my family during our stay considering the SD Padres & SF Giants were playing consecutive games next door at PETCO Park and with the 4000+ person Occupational Therapy convention across the street with many attendees staying at the hotel. Hhhmmmm....

I AM glad to read about the parking lot across the street availability as an option, instead of buying the Valet/Breakfast package possibly for next time. Although the convinience of valet is terrific, the breakfasts at McCormick & Schmidts in the hotel were decent but pricey. We also expected a little more flare or variety for a restaurant of its' calibre. Somewhat lackluster. (Server Chris from Oklahoma/England was a delight though!) The Broken Yoke up the street has MANY unique choices & with wide variety. I had "lunch" for breakfast.

Thank you Omni for a memorable and happy trip!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Indonesian first
New England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

The hotel common areas were all well kept and very attractive, the staff was fantastic and incredibly helpful, the rooms were clean and comfortable, and the location was great for visiting the Gas Lamp District. We were also on a high enough floor that the view was great (if you look past the train tracks!). Those are the good things. Now the issues. We were on the 18th floor so the noise from the trains and the street wasn't as problematic as many reviewers found it to be. However, the walls are paper thin and we were awoken each morning by the sound of the shower coming from the room next door. All this would probably have been ok, but the bathroom was a major issue. Who designs a bathroom that has doors that don't close all the way and has a wall that has louvers that don't close completely and are RIGHT NEXT TO THE BED? Even if you are staying by yourself, that makes no sense. It reminded me of the jail cells you see that have the toilet right there in the corner. Not appropriate for a "luxury" hotel. Fix that issue and it would definitely be a place that i would stay again.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor away from the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Omni for a little two night vacation from our busy work schedules in Los Angeles. I had mentioned when making my reservation that it was our fist time to their hotel and it was my son’s first time in San Diego. When we arrived, we were promptly greeted by the valet and doormen. Both were extremely polite and helpful. The Front Desk staff were kind and helpful with the questions that we had with regards to visiting Sea World, the Wild Animal Park and local restaurants that were best suited for a 22 month old. When we arrived to our room, the hotel had graciously upgraded us to a junior suite and had 2 cookies and milk waiting for my son. (How awesome was that!!) The room was clean and well appointed with a view of the pool and bay.
Housekeeping was amazing too. I had found a room attendant the following day and asked if she didn’t mind having a microwave brought to our room when they serviced it to heat up my sons food that was in a cooler. She happily acknowledged and continued with the room she was going to service. Later that night, we came back to a room with a microwave AND a refrigerator that was cool enough to store his food. Talk about being proactive!
I have stayed at other hotels in the area and did enjoy them, but the Omni San Diego is BY FAR the best in town. My previous experience with the Gas Lamp District has changed with one visit to the Omni. They are the best.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

It really is a gorgeous hotel, and it's very close to the convention center. I had a beautiful view of the harbor, and the sliding glass doors opened to a great view of the pool. and the bed was comfortable and the room dark at night. Also, great tv with lots of channels. That being true, I was there for a week, and it is not a quiet hotel. At one point I had to call the front desk, because it sounded like someone was dropping marbles on the floor above me for over 20 minutes.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I visited this hotel for the first time in April 2013 for a 5 night stay connected to a work conference.

Overalll the hotel is very nice, finished to a high standard, roomds decent sizes, beds comfortable, bathrooms well appointed and ok wifi for free (you have to pay for premium speeds).

The only real downside of this hotel is the noise. And this comes from two sources.

Firstly the walls are paper thin. It was excerbated for me with a locked connecting door through to the room next door. I could hear every word of every conversation, toilet visit, TV continously etc. I have never in 30 years of visiting hotels experienced such poor noise insulation between rooms.

Even from the room without the connecting door sound travelled extremely easily through the walls.

Noise from outside the hotel was also fairly loud and I was on the 16th floor.

This noise problem would be enough to stop me staying again at this hotel and unless you are a heavy sleeper or are booked in there for a conference, I would chose another hotel.

Great shame, as everything else was just fine.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sydneytravelbug71
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni San Diego Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
We apologize for the noise issues you experienced during your stay. We are happy to accommodate a room change when our occupancy allows. We’re sorry that you had a connecting room. As far as outside noise is concerned, our windows are double-paned and well insulated, but being downtown there will be a certain amount of city noise we can’t control. While it may not be an ideal solution, we can also provide ear plugs for guests who are particularly light sleepers. We hope you might consider staying with in the future in a non-connected room.
san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I think I've stayed at the majority of hotels downtown and this is my favorite so far. Everyone was nice, rooms were great, room service was quick and good! I had a good night sleep and don't get that in most hotels. The room was quiet, there was a white light machine, windows opened. I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Traveled here for yet another cheer competition being held at the SD convention center. Chose to stay a the Omni because of it's close proximity to the Convention Center.

Check-in was seamless, lobby is small but line wasn't too long to check in. Thankfully, I had read previous reviews about parking so knew to not utilize the hotel parking at $38 a night and parked directly across the street in the Parking garage and for 3 DAYS of parking I only spent $38 (About $17 a night I think they said?)

Room faced the convention center, we were on the 7th floor so really didn't have much of a view except for the train tracks and the convention center. A higher floor would have allowed for a view of the water and marina area behind the convention center.

Room was nicely appointed and clean upon arrival. Beds are just doubles, not queens. There is a mini bar and a small desk with 2 chairs and a sitting chair by the window. There are only 2 small drawers in the TV stand for clothing and 2 even small drawers in the single nightand beween the beds. Definitely need a bit more storage for clothing that doesn't need to be hung. (We came with a LOT of clothes for the 4 days we were here.)

I read about the bathrooms having shutters for doors but our bathroom had a modern privacy glasses sliding door. Not exactly idea, but it provided much more privacy than shuttered doors would have so I was glad to see that. Bathroom is modern looking and clean but the shelving situation (as noted in previous reviews as well) is not ideal. LOOKS nice...not very practical for storing things. My hairdryer barely fit on the shelf. By the time you try to fit anything on the little glass shelves you run out of room quickly. I prefer a counter top with much more room for bathroom toiletries. But that is a small complaint, I did like the modern and open layout. Walls are VERY thin...you hear EVERYTHING...from people coughing, sneezing and...other noises. I'll just leave it at that.

Let me address the NOISE issue: I hadn't really read much about noise being a problem but the first night we were there, oh my goodness was it noisy. The FREIGHT TRAINS that came through all night long on Friday night were HORRIBLE! So loud, at first I got up wondering if we were having an earthquake or something. LOUD! The red metro train wasn't loud at all, although you still have to listen to the clanging noise and horns of the RR gates but it was the freight trains that really took me almost over the edge on Friday night. I have now read that others have complained of this and saw that there are even EAR PLUGS in the night stands. So I look in the nightstands and SURE ENOUGH THERE ARE TWO SETS OF EAR PLUGS!! So they have obviously received enough complaints about the train noise that they try to make it bearable with the earplugs. Thankfully, that was only Friday night. Oddly, there were no freight trains on Saturday night at all and it was MUCH quieter!! The only thing I can guess is, they don't allow freight trains on the weekends, maybe because the know the hotels will be filled with vacationers? Who knows, either way I was VERY grateful that the freight trains did not run the second night because I got VERY LITTLE SLEEP the first night because of them. Saturday night the club across the street at the Hard Rock Hotel was hopping but it didn't really bother me at all. I'd rather listen to the noise of far away music ANY day compared to the FREIGHT TRAIN noise we had the first night! If all else fails and you can't sleep-- try the provided ear plugs. I still can't believe they actually provide ear plugs! I guess that's thinking ahead on their part. :)

We didn't eat at the restaraunt on the premise simply because there are so many other options available in the gas lamp district. The hotel is within walking distance to many different areas, we walked all up and down the marina area, ending up at the U.S.S. Midway and took all 3 of our kids on a tour of the aircraft carrier, etc. Then walked back.

We would stay at an OMNI hotel again, although the freight train noise from the first night MIGHT be enough to make me seek a different location in San Diego but ONLY because of the noise. Everything else was spot on for the most part.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the highest floor possible--for a better view and LESS FREIGHT TRAIN NOISE. We...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family