“Would stay here again”

Ranked #14 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Iowa
“Would stay here again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2008

Stayed here while attending a meeting at the Convention Center, which is just across the trolley tracks. My roomate and I were significantly happier with our hotel than colleagues who stayed at the Center-attached Marriott. The room was attractive and we had a nice view of the harbor. The bathroom was a bit unusual, with a pedestal sink instead of a counter, and a set of multiple shelves on each side. This was a great setup for 2 people to share (lots of room for personal stuff), and freed up more floor space than in typical hotel bathrooms. There were robes provided that were smaller and less bulky than often found - they had pink trim, so if the better proportions reflected that 2 women had reserved the room, I'm really impressed!

A major advantage for us was the free wireless internet - a good, fast connection. Elevators were speedy and desk staff friendly. Amenities were nice. The only minor negatives were too-thin pillows - and the room was on the pricy side, even at "special convention rates". But the location was excellent for our convention and exploring the Gaslamp Quarter, as well as the harbor area, and it was overall a very positive experience.

• Liked — Location, view, comfort, free wireless internet
  • Disliked — Flat pillows, unpredictable room cleaning times
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Indonesian first
san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2008

I am a san diegan and I needed to get away from the everyday life, so my boyfriend and I booked through Priceline, and because of this got an excellent deal! Our room was on the 19th floor, great view of the bay and the coronado bridge! SO FRESH AND SO ROMANTIC. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

The beds were so comfortable and relaxing I wanted to take it home. We did everything at the hotel from eating at McCormick to getting in the Jaccuzzi and the fitness room. We stayed 2 nights and three days at the Omni.

My favorite was the sewing kit that was provided because my blouse had a loose thread and I was able to fix it right away! I love the robes you are supplied with and the shower head was heavenly! Clean and spacious! Turn down service so quick and efficient. Overall our room was so romantic with the view and so comfortable. You are even given free coffee and access to great channels and cd player!

The only thing would be parking. They only have the option of valet parking which was 30 dollars a night, but also you could park accross the street that ended up costing us about 20 dollars to park all 2 nights.

OMNI IS AN EASY WALK AND ACCESS TO THE GREATEST PART OF DOWNTOWN! GASLAMP!! You'll think your in a whole different city.

• Liked — The bed!
  • Disliked — The Parking!
Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2008

The Omni Hotel in San Diego was the perfect place for our first visit to San Diego. I booked the room through the hotel's website and since I am a preferred guest (it's free), I even received a phone call prior to our visit asking if I had any special requests. I did request a high floor, away from the train tracks, since I had read about the noise in previous Trip Advisor reviews. That request was granted.

When we arrived at 3 p.m., our room was ready and check-in was efficient. We received a welcome card from the manager and a certificate for breakfast in the hotel's restaurant, McCormick and Schmick's. After we returned from dinner at Seaport Village (a beautiful 20 min. walk from hotel), turn-down service was complete, with mints, a rose and the next day's weather forecast.

Our room (2033) had a great view of Petco Stadium and that evening, the Padres were playing the Dodgers, so it was exciting to see some of the game. With the window cracked, we could hear quite well and feel as if we were in the grandstands. The window that looked down at the stadium even had a window seat.

The room was spacious and the bed was heavenly. Amenities were nice, even supplying coffee "to go" (paper) mugs and a nicely appointed honors bar. Bathroom amenities included shampoo, conditioner, lotion, mouthwash, a sewing kit, and of couse, soap.

We did eat breakfast at the hotel since we had the certificate, but it was pricey. We each ordered a cup of coffee at $4+ a cup. My waffle was around $11 and my husband's french toast was about the same. It was good (came with cute, individual bottles of syrup), but if you are on a budget, might be best to opt for Morsel's, a coffee shop on the other end of the hotel's lobby.

Speaking of the lobby, it was beautiful. The 6th floor heated pool had comfy lounge chairs with cushions and a nice supply of white, plush towels. Very nice.

We only stayed at the Omni one night as we rented a car (from Enterprise -- great service) and headed north up the coast. If you're visiting San Diego, and particularly going to a baseball game, I recommend the Omni.

• Liked — spacious room and cleanliness of hotel
2 Thank Frick
Vista, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2008

I have stayed at this Omni location several times without any problems. I can get a room to stay anywhere and choose to stay at the Omni because of its service and attention to detail. On this instance I was very mistaken.

I was moderately satisfied with my room. It wasn't the best accommodations I have had at this hotel but it did suffice since I was only staying one night. We ordered breakfast since my wife had to fly out in the morning. The breakfast never arrived and since time was of the essence we could not order a replacement. On our way out of the hotel I inquired about ensuring that the breakfast was not placed on the bill. The frond desk assistant was smug and arrogant.

After I left the front desk my wife informed me that the security guard was rather rude when we handed the ticket to him for valet. If you are looking for a hotel to stay at in San DIego there are ones with better service to choose from.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
Puyallup, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2008

Execellent hotel with friendly staff. Great location eventhough it was a little noisy as there are bars nearby. Eventhough we stayed on the 8th floor, we were still able to hear the live band till wee hours of the morning.

Very near to the train station and downtown. Hotel parking is quite expensive and there is a public parking just right beside the hotel. No credit card accepted at the public parking!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2008

I was there for a business trip. I found the room very comfortable. The hotel was well situated to the Gas Light District and the Convention Center. You could basically walk everywhere or use city trams that were beside the hotel.

I would stay here again and strongly recommend the hotel.

Stayed December 2007
Orange County, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2008

This hotel is great for any baseball fans out there. I made our reservation about 3 months prior through The Omni's web site. I requested a room on a high floor with a view over looking the stadium. That's exactly what we got. This trip was planned so we could see the Angels play the Padres for an exhibition game.

2 Days prior to our arrival, The Omni sent me an e-mail that enabled us to check in through our computer at home. I went ahead and checked in this way but, I was a little worried this might hinder my chances with getting the room we wanted. Additionally, the on-line check in told me I'd be able to check in at 2 p.m. and no waiting in line. Check in time was supposed to at 3 p.m. according to the web site.

We arrived shortly before 2. A little side note, we took took the Amtrak from San Juan Capistrano to Downtown San Diego. Thought we'd try the train this time. No problems with Amtrak. We walked about 8 or 9 blocks from the train station to The Omni. Downtown San Diego has got to be one of the nicest downtown areas in the states. Over the past several years the city has done a great job revitalizing the Gas Lamp District. Oh yeah, we stopped at a place called Dick's Last Resort for lunch. The food was just okay. I'm not sure if I'd eat there again.

Arrived at the Omni and went to the check in desk. The young people working the counter were very nice and professional. The girl who helped me told me our room was not ready and asked if we would mind waiting. I didn't mind at all because she said our room was located exactly where I requested. Had to wait almost an hour for it to be ready. The wait was a little bit of a downer but, it was well worth it. While waiting, I saw one of my favorite players from the Angels, Rob Quinlan, in the lobby. I think some of the players stayed at the Omni. I ran into the Angels owner Arte Moreno at the game. He was nice enough to shake my hand and smile.
Back to the details with the room. We had room #1833 on the 18th floor. Check out my photos. It was a standard room, about 400 sq. ft. The only weird thing about the room was the bathroom door. The door was on a hanging track and slid to open and close. It didn't really give much privacy. People are able to hear you do your business. My suggestion, turn on the water, so nobody can hear you.
I'd read many complaints from others here regarding the trains and the trolley. This is one of the reasons I wanted to be on the stadium side of the hotel. There is still some noise on this side of the building. It really didn't bother us though. Ask the hotel for some extra pillows and sleep with a pillow over your head. This helped me. I heard one train horn at 3 a.m., that was the only time I was bothered.
Overall, I give our experience 4 out of 5 stars. Will we stay there again? Absolutely. I'm already thinking about another trip.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The bathroom door
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family