WINNER WONDERLAND

“Little better than holiday inn service with fairmont pricing” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni San Diego Hotel

Omni San Diego Hotel
Ranked #15 of 283 Hotels in San Diego
“Little better than holiday inn service with fairmont pricing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Very nice lobby, newly renovated hotel but I must say for people used to 5 star or 4 the service lacks a bit! Confused staff , reception was good though.. Bell men stand around in the already small lobby talking to the front counter girls and ppl waiting is not classy! Rooms are nice and clean but I would ask the bathroom contractors for my money back!! Stayed in a high floor room And a suite both with nice showers but the water pressure feels like they didn't pay the city to get enuf water... Anyways dinner at the restaurant was fantastic with Fernando their manager very attentive... He knew how to look after his guests ( coming from a restaurant owner) .. All in all a good experience nothing to rant and rave about the hotel it's average if you get a good rate, good location for everything but once again except the restaurant it was just like little better than holiday inn service with fairmont pricing... Lots of other omnis are way better so please don't discard the brand

Ps quick room service but no drinks or service by the pool...

My opinions are purely based on hotels I've stayed with the groups reward program that's why the bell staff seemed lil rude

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Canfirstclass1
tkermabon, Manager at Omni San Diego Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear "Canfirstclass1,"

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your TripAdvisor review. We appreciate the opportunity to learn about what impressed you while a guest in our hotel as well as where you felt we had room to improve. Fernando in our restaurant, McCormick & Schmick's, is regularly recognized by hotel guests for being a dynamic, engaging professional. I know he will be happy when he learns of your feedback. Also, your observations of the actions of our Bell Attendants make it clear we have room to improve and I thank you for bringing those to our attention. Our goal is to serve our guests at a 5-diamond level yet we fell short of that goal in your eyes, and for that I would like to apologize. We'll discuss your review as a team and focus on continuous improvement, as always. Thank you again for your input and for choosing the Omni San Diego Hotel. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back when your travel plans allow it.

Thomas Kermabon
Director of Operations
tkermabon@omnihotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Indonesian first
Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Just returned from a family trip to for New Years Eve, had to leave a quick review because of the wonderful service received during our stay. Rooms on the upper floors are newly renovated and immaculate. Views of the bay amazing special touches for the kids (cribs, connecting rooms, cookies and milk left with turn-down service). Most importantly, I came down with a horrible cold the first night, felt miserable and stuck in the room with the kids I didn't think I would get any sleep. I called the front desk at 1am in the morning, and they sent Nyquil up within minutes. Thank You Omni!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor (newly renovated) with view facing the Bay
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Beachmom124
tkermabon, Manager at Omni San Diego Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear "Beachmom124,"

Thank you very much for your gracious 5-star review. We were thrilled to learn you enjoyed the services you received while in residence, and although you were not feeling well during your entire stay, we made a positive impression. We are very hopeful of future chances to welcome you back to the Omni San Diego Hotel. May the coming year be filled with good health and happiness.

Best regards,
Thomas Kermabon
Director of Operations
tkermabon@omnihotels.com
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

The Omni San Diego is THE place to stay in the Gaslamp district. While many hotels downtown try to attract the younger crowd with heavily styled lobbies, bars and rooftop pools, the Omni is comfortable enough with itself and its superior customer service not to have to pander to the hipster crowd. That being said, this is the perfect hotel for families, couples and younger travelers who want to experience amazing views, clean, modern and comfortable accommodations and a wonderful staff. Our view was incredible and didn't hear any street or trolley noise. Ashley Kenaga, the loyalty ambassador for the hotel, welcomed us with a note in our room. Stay at this hotel - you will love it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RetroStewardess
Central Mass
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Everything to the room, the help, the service desk. 5 stars for making every effort to make our stay nice. We were able to walk to different area's around the hotel. Loved the Gas Light district on Friday night!!! Thanks Omni for a great weekend

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ricksteric
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed here for a conference at the convention center. Fantastic location - walked to the convention center and plenty of restaurants within walking distance with a wide range of choices. Room was beautiful, clean, and very quiet. Room service was excellent - good food and good service. Really couldn't ask for anything more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank snrd08
Long Beach, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

The Omni is a great hotel if you're in San Diego for business. I was there for pleasure, but I believe that the hotel is geared more toward the business traveler than the tourist. It is across the street from the Convention Center, and only steps away from the restaurants in the Gaslamp District. The hotel was very clean and modern, but in a rather bland way. It was comfortable enough, but not so comfortable that I wanted to stay much longer. it doesn't have a "wow" factor, and that's ok, as long as you know that ahead of time.

That said, my room on the 14th floor had a lovely view of the Coronado bridge and the Bay. The bed was not as comfortable as I've had in other hotels, but it was serviceable. The bathroom had shutters that opened to the room, which doesn't afford a lot of privacy (even when closed), so be aware if that bothers you. I didn't mind. The bathroom was exceptionally clean (a big plus!), but the shower pressure left something to be desired. My only complaint with the condition of the hotel is that the carpets in the hallway were a bit worn and lumpy. The hallway carpets made me concerned that my room wasn't going to be in good shape, but my fears were unwarranted.

The front desk staff were all very friendly and professional.

If you don't need to valet, save yourself some money and self-park in the garage across the street. The price (which may fluctuate depending on whether there is a baseball game at Petco Park), was at least $10 cheaper per night than the valet. Also, sign up for the Omni loyalty program ahead of time, to save the $9.99/day internet fee.

There are a lot of hotels in the same area from which to choose. I would return to the Omni only if I had a great deal, or if I was in San Diego for business.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LongBeachTripper
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I joined a friend who was staying for a work conference. The room was spacious and comfortable and very well appointed. It's in a great location and we walked to the waterfront where we saw one of the most gorgeous sunsets I've seen. We were also able to walk pretty much anywhere we wanted downtown so that was easy.

The only blip in the trip was the phone call I got in the morning from the valet - that my car's convertible roof had been slashed! What?! My first thoughts were: you've got to be kidding and what am I going to tell my aunt who had graciously let me borrow her car for my trip!? And how the heck am I going to pay for this one?! I went down to meet with the head valet person, Gary, and he as well as the rest of the staff in the lobby were really helpful and handled the situation beyond well.

Gary showed me the car - the roof was indeed slashed through and the thief/thieves had rifled through all the contents of the car - but took nothing. There was nothing for them to take - and no, I hadn't left anything in sight for someone to think appealing. Luckily for me, they hadn't bothered looking in the trunk where I had quite a few things I bought and left in there.

It could have been a total disaster as I had been planning on leaving shortly to head back to LA where I was staying next. Gary said the hotel would be taking full responsibility in getting the car fixed and they would rent me a car that I could use until my car was ready. Gary and the Omni went above and beyond to be helpful and friendly in light of the situation. I am so grateful for them repairing the car fully and taking charge to get it done. I really can't say how thankful I am!!

I will absolutely stay at this and any other Omni hotel again. And I've been telling all my friends how wonderfully the whole situation was handled. Everyone has been super impressed (myself included). Thank you Omni and Gary for all of your help and taking responsibility for fixing my car!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends