“Good for family on bugget”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego SeaWorld/Zoo Area
Ranked #170 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
San Jose,CA
“Good for family on bugget”
Reviewed August 26, 2007

The hotel is clean, and conveniently located. The fridge and microwave in room are very handy for family traveling. The included breakfast is decent. Overall, it is a good hotel for family travel.

• Liked — Have Fridge and Microwave in room
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank SnowSanJose

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
NorCal
Reviewed August 20, 2007

Cheap, but don't let them fool you - the suitess aren't two-room suites, they're just a single large room. The mini-fridge made a rattling noise 24/7, we never got a working alarm/clock-radio, there was a single remote shared between two TVs, the pool was too warm to swim in, and the keys rarely worked.

Pros: The staff was helpful, the hotel is well-located, parking is easy, the breakfast buffet is decent (for what it is).

I wouldn't stay there again, but then I didn't change hotels either.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank JoshG6
Washington Township, New Jersey
Reviewed August 13, 2007

My family of four stayed here on Aug. 5-8, and returned for one night, Aug. 12, before catching our plane the next day.

The motel located in the Auto Circle area of Mission Valley. We requested a room on the 3rd floor toward the back of the property (near the hill), facing the parking lot. We had no noise problems from the auto dealership next door. However...there was some pool noise late one night (although it was over by 10:00 p.m., when the pool is closed). Anyway, the grounds are clean and well kept. Breakfast is fine....hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, fresh fruit (although the bananas were on the green side), cereals, toast, bagels, danish, muffins, juice & coffee. What more does anyone need?

The room....the2 queen bed room is SMALL. We were squished together and one of the beds is practically directly over the air conditioner. The bathroom is SMALL. The bathroom in the first room was shabby...the fan was falling off the wall and the hook on the door fell off. However, the room was clean and tidy. Towels are thin and scratchy.

Check in for the first stay was great; quick and easy. I cannot say that about the second stay. We arrived at 2:00, which was an hour before check in and we were told our room would be ready in "15-20 minutes". Kids used the pool to kill the time. At 3:00, I returned to the front desk to get the keys, and I was told, again, the room would be ready in "20 minutes". This was happening with another guest too. Finally, after I complained about waiting around, I got the room. The best part: when I asked if there was "something they could do for my inconvenience", the clerk at the front desk COMPED the room for the night!!! Great deal!

Location is good as far as easy access to the 8. Fashion Valley, Hazard Center and Mission Valley malls are 3 minutes away. However, I wouldn't say you could walk to the malls....unless you like walking over highways.

Overall, for the price I paid ($120) per night for the first stay, it was a good value for the money. It met our needs.

• Liked — Location, complimentary breakfast
  • Disliked — Room size
2 Thank Terriergirl
Staten Island, NY
Reviewed August 9, 2007

I stayed here for 2 nights with my husband and 7 year old. We had changed our arrival date and this was one of the only hotels available. It was fine. The room was very clean. Breakfast was okay, nothing special but it made it easy to grab something quick and head to one of our destinations. The hotel staff was great I had to call them a few times before I arrived, I was stuck in NY and did not arrive until 2 in the morning, and they couldn't have been nicer. There is a complimentary computer in the lobby for your use. They gave us printed directions to everything. We traveled to Legoland and the Wild Animal Park from the hotel. It is right off the highway and was easy to get to. We had a one bedroom suite. We then stayed at the Omni and the Hotel Del later in our trip. The La Quinta doens't compare but I would stay there again if I need to.

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank shelbywu
Phoenix
Reviewed August 2, 2007

Stayed for 2 nights in a regular room. Two adults and two kids (10 & 13). Had reserved two rooms together for in-laws, however that was not honored. But that was done months in advance, so what were we thinking when we expected it to happen. Very small room, tiny bathroom. Air conditioner had two settings: flash frozen and jungle cruise. The in room fridge made a sound like a sea lion coughing up a bad Bonita. Room overlooked the Jeep dealership's wash rack and dumpster. Heard every loudspeaker announcement. I think the green Wrangler went for a song. Parking spaces are designed for Mini-Coopers. The garage was just too darn creepy to park in. The breakfast consisted of day-old bread products and fruit, which was okay, but the coffee was lousy. It is close to Sea World, but then so is the Sea World parking lot. Not worth the price at all.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank PreferVegas
Sheboygan, Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We stayed here from July 24-31. Had a great room on the 3rd floor at a great price as we booked very early. It was very clean every day including nice fluffy towels. The pool and hottub were a little small but came with plenty of towels. The free breakfast was very good and a little varied from day to day. Would definitely stay here again. Was a very convenient location to all local attractions.

1 Thank Janet S
California
Reviewed July 18, 2007

First, let me clarify that this is not strictly a review of the facilities, as I never became an actual guest of this "Inn". Last week I made a reservation online, which provided me with a confirmation number and a corresponding charge on my credit card. However, upon my arrival I was told that my reservation had been "canceled" and that they had no vacancies. They had no excuse, no explanation, NO APOLOGIES, and did not even offer to help me find new accommodations. Worse, the entire city was sold out of hotel rooms, leaving me with absolutely no alternatives.

I have a line of work that requires a lot of travel, and neither I nor any of my colleagues have ever had an experience like this. I received no advance phone call, e-mail or other communication informing me of this suspicious cancellation prior to finding myself on the street and far from home the night before an important business meeting. Subsequent contact with the general manager, Karina Winkler, has yielded neither apology nor explanation, rather exposing a very unprofessional institution which is unwilling to take responsibility for its mistakes. The "consolation package" that I have been promised can hardly compensate for being treated this way.

At this point it is clear that they overbooked the hotel, and that I was hung out to dry simply because I planned to check-in late. I would not suggest dealing with this location/company if you expect to find a room waiting for you in San Diego.

• Disliked — Having my reservation canceled despite being charged and without being notified!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business