“Cozy & Comfortable”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego SeaWorld/Zoo Area
Ranked #159 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 20, 2007

Our family of 3 stayed for 7 nights with only very minor issues 4/12-4/19.

Let's start off with the pros:
We booked a King Studio Suite on hotels.com for about $50 less PER NIGHT than booking through La Quinta or other travel sites. Give it a try! When traveling with children, I would always recommend getting a seperate sleeping area no matter where you stay. In this case, it was wonderful to have 2 t.v.'s! Our daughter loved that she had her "own room" even though it technically was the room with a couch, tables & t.v.

Location, Location, Location...it was minutes from all the things we wanted to do or see. We chalked up the $200 to rent a car through Hertz that was equipped with a GPS 'NeverLost'. Let me tell ya - it was SO worth it! We ventured out more than we would've w/o it. La Jolla Cove aka: Seal Beach(a must!), Seaport Village (---), Coronado, Sea World, Legoland & even Tijuana Mexico! We drove to the border, parked & took the bus to Tijuana for $8 pp round trip. Personally, after witnessing the city as you cross the border and the line to get through customs on the way back - walking is not the way to go! You can save $8 pp or be happy (safe, too) and fork over the money to enjoy Tijuana without all the hassle of border crossing and the walk itself.

Ok, more hotel details to tell you about..

The pool was heated..not just luke warm but actually enough that you could plunge right in. The hot tub was plenty hot - sometimes a bit too much. Still, it was a welcome sight after long days on the feet.

Breakfast is simple yet satisfying. Free USA Today too. To help cut the cost of eating out, we bought food at Target & Food 4 Less. Stocked the 'frig & (very) small freezer 2-3 times. It's amazing how creative you can get when you have to! Because there is not enough room for a 1/2 gal. of milk, we each took a cupful of milk back from breakfast with a cover to have later on. I also made our daughter a PB&J for later on. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

They offer underground parking. We chose to park outside only because I didn't care to be in a parking area in the dark. I like the lighted parking area where you can actually see people & even your own room. (if you're facing the parking lot, that is).

The staff was friendly & really did the best they could when we did have an issue come up. And yes, we did...

And now for the cons: Our hot water seemed to not work every day. It was hit & miss b/w 7a.m. - 9 a.m. That did become frustrating. Especially when you need to be somewhere & 3 people need to shower. They did offer us keys to an empty room to shower because the maint. guy was off that day. (never heard of that!) A short time later, we ran the hot water in the sink & then the shower warmed up...??? It became a joke after awhile. We just decided to make the best of it. ;o)

Another bummer - the pool was under repair on our last day. Not that they could help it - but it was a bummer!

Suggestions - ask for a room facing the parking lot NOT the car dealership next door. I would rather heatrsuitcase rolling down the outside hall than pages over a PA system all day.

Also - we used the AAA card. Saved lots of money at Legoland & Sea World. No deals at Disneyland, though!

Overall, it was well worth the $91.00 per night. It's difficult to find what we had for that price in that part of town.

'Hope this helps!

Kristine/WI

14  Thank Kristine

Reviewed April 19, 2007

This was a great hotel to be based out of for visiting the major San Diego attractions. My husband and I stayed here for four nights with our 6 and 4 yr old boys. The hotel was near hotel circle, and was extremely convenient for getting on and off the highways. It was easy to get where we were going, and we rarely hit traffic. There were many stores and restaurants within a 5 min. drive. Legoland was 40 minutes away and Seaworld was 20 minutes away. The staff was extremely helpful in meeting our needs and giving directions or recommendations. The room doors lead to the outside, but we felt safe throughout our stay. There were a lot of families staying here as it was spring break, but it was never noisy. There is a pool outside, but it was not heated, and too chilly for us. The room was clean, except the carpets could have been cleaner - the kids feet picked up dirt. But the beds and bathroom were very clean. There was also plenty of storage for all the stuff we picked up along the way. Breakfast was your basic continental, and it got busy every morning with all the families, but it was still quicker and cheaper than eating at the Denny's down the road. We never had a problem parking, though it did seem tight at times for our minivan. Overall, it was a good base and I would recommend it, especially for the price (we went thru Travelocity - $99 per night).

1  Thank ChrisClarkston
Reviewed April 13, 2007

When we arrived with our two young children, I thought we were off to a good start. There was a popcorn machine in the lobby, and both my girls loved having a little popcorn. I thought that was a nice touch, and initially had a good impression.

My opinion changed when we got to our room. Both keys did not work. We were tired after walking all day at the zoo, and trying to get working keys was a huge hassel. My parents were booked next door to our room. Only one of their two keys worked intermittently, but they did not complain. My husband called the lobby, and we waited, seemingly a 'long time' (though in reality probably about 10 minutes) for someone to bring my husband and I two new keys. The second set of keys also did not work, so we called yet again. Finally the maintenance man came, and he also fiddled with the keys. And then I think he tinkered with the lock and looked puzzled, saying the lock was not working. By then, probably 20 minutes had gone by, and my kids were getting quite antsy, as were my husband and I, and my parents.

My husband called the front desk again; that time he complained and requested another room altogether. The desk person replied, "Sorry, but we don't have another room available at the same level." My husband said, "Ok, then could you upgrade us for all the hassel we're going through?" They agreed to upgrade us, and our kids were so pleased to have a 'big' one-bedroom suite with two televisions so they could watch their own shows. However, they had to sleep on a sofa bed, which probably is not as comfortable as the two double beds we were supposed to originally have.

Everything looked nice, but then we noticed that there were big tears in our comforter. We notified the desk staff; we did not want to be charged for the ripped comforter. They offered to bring us another comforter and an extra blanket for our girls.The shower was hard to turn off completely to keep it from dripping. This place provides the combined shampoo/conditioner in a single bottle. Maybe that's good for the guys or people with short hair, but I would've preferred one shampoo bottle and one separate conditioner bottle.

Hallways face the outside of the building, so we could hear people going up/down the hall with their suitcases.

My mom said that they were going to charge her for using the safe, even though she did not use the safe; not sure how that got resolved.

My dad went to go fill our ice bucket; the machine did not put out any ice. My dad said the machine appeared broken, but when I called the desk staff, they said that the machine was not broken and that it just takes awhile to fill. My dad laughed and said that machine was dry as a bone. My husband went to another floor to get ice.

Continental breakfast was quite nice, though a little crowded with regard to finding a table since there were 4 adults and 2 kids.

This place was on a busy street with not much to do; to do anything other than go out to eat at El Torito or Benihana's, would've had to get on the freeway. There was no view of anything other than the freeway.

Bottom line: I don't think I'd return to this place based on our experience. My parents seemed quite disappointed with all the hassels, and they are generally easy going people.

1  Thank pocooso

4  Thank moose65
Reviewed April 5, 2007

We stayed at this property for four nights and were very impressed. It is located just off the I8 Freeway and you can get into Sea World, San Diego City and Balboa Park very easily and quickly. The room itself was slightly small but had a separate bedroom. The condition of the room was good with clean bathroom and small kitchen. Also included is Continental Breakfast comprising fruits, cereals, toast, bagels and pastries. Good start to the day. Hotel also has heated pool and spa which kids enjoyed. Across the road is a shopping centre which you can walk to. Heaps of restaurants on the immediate area. Recommended and would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2007