“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #112 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
NY
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

This place is a find! Clean rooms, reasonable parking, free breakfast. It's not a frills place, nut clean and comfortable. I would stay here again no question. Friendliest staff I've encountered in the last five years!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank LauraBC29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Berthoud, Colorado
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We were able to check in early, upon our request, which was wonderful! The room was a bit small, but very clean. There is no fan in the bathroom, which was very odd. The bathroom was so small, I could barely get in and close the door. We enjoyed the roof top balcony area. It was very nice. Parking lot was a bit dirty with trash etc... Located across the street from a market, which was convenient. Just a short walk from downtown and gaslamp.

When we asked front desk for dining recommendations, she was unable to provide us with a clear answer. She replied with something like "well, there's hundreds of restaurants in the area". It was more difficult than it should have been to get her to suggest a single place. Same thing when we asked what beach to go to and how to get there. Either she wasn't familiar with the area or she really was overwhelmed with all of the choices...

We were in town for a wedding and upon returning from the wedding that evening, there were two parties going on in the hotel. One was two doors down from us on the ground floor and the other was directly above us and two doors down from that upstairs. I quieted the people next to us on my own, but could not get the people upstairs to stop yelling and rough housing. I called night audit who said he did not hear anything when he was outside in the parking lot. Period. End of discussion, I guess. I told him it was 2AM and I needed to sleep, and asked if he could move our room farther from them if he wasn't going to quiet them down. While he was bringing keys to our room, I was outside and the party was throwing things off of their balcony into the parking lot. We were never offered a discount or even an apology for this disruption!

TIP: If you stay here, request an upstairs room- the walls/floors are paper-thin and you can hear EVERYTHING if someone is above you!

Probably will not stay if we ever return to San Diego. This was our first trip to this city. Upon walking around etc, I would probably take a look at the Days Inn next door...

Room Tip: Request upstairs, paper-thin walls/floors can hear everything in room above you if on ground floor...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank FlowerLife22
decatur ga
Reviewed June 19, 2011

booked hotel at the last minute, and got a great rate. small, very nice
property. room was exceptionally clean, bed very comfortable, nice bathroom
with great shower. front desk staff very nice and helpful. hotel is
central to everything and cabs were easily called to area attractions.
this is one of the "best" best westerns, i have ever stayed at.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 13, 2010

Had a four night stay at the Cabrillo in early May 2010. The room was extremely clean, so much so that we had to keep the windows open to let the cleaning fragrance escape! I guess you should never complain about a place being too clean. The room included a complimentary hot breakfast but did not include parking. The hotel was a bit away from San Diego’s centre but it was definitely within walking distance for us. If not for others, the trolley and bus stop is only a block away. The staff member at the front desk was very helpful with information regarding maps, transport, food and places to steer clear from. The nightly rate was $150USD, maybe a little pricey for what we got but we enjoyed the stay overall. We were there to see San Diego after all, not the four walls of the Best Western. Still, I would recommend this hotel if you didn’t mind being just out of the very centre of the city.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roaming-wifi
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 19, 2010

This is my first Trip Advisor review. I came here for a convention. I usually try to stay a mile or so away from the venue so I can experience the town, with a different street walked on each trip to and fro. Cabrillo Inn suits the bill for similarly disposed conventioneers. As to the property, I fell in love when I first drove up. It was a simple oasis in the big city. Lots and lots and lots of potted plants provide character and privacy. Little lanterns illuminating the property. Charming in an uncomplicated way but that does not come without effort---the property was well tended to. The room was clean and I really enjoyed the hand stenciling in the rooms--so homey. The rooms were definitely not large though they were functional--a desk for using the computer (both ethernet and wireless at a decent rate of speed), a round table with chairs if you take a meal in room, and a very comfortable bed. Slept like a baby. Screened windows open up to bring a little of the outside in. Nice breakfast with food choices and nice staff. It also afforded me the opportunity to find some off the track restaurants outside of the Gaslamp Quarter. I stayed here six nights and will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Our room in this centrally located well-maintained motel was mediums sized with a small bathroom. The shower is OK for a person 6'0". But the bathroom is so small that I got a leg cramp just sitting on the toilet ... which in turn is only 7' from the bed.The TV is either muted or to loud. It is an older type TV with limited channel selection. There is no swimming pool. There is a Rooftop gazebo, but it's not obvious, so make sure you find it. Views from rooms are of parking lot and nearby office buildings. There is a sign that says they do not accept cash, but they made an exception for me :-) The premises are obviously well cared for.
They make an excellent complimentary breakfast: good scrambled eggs, bacon, baking power biscuits, baked items, two juices, fruit, bacon omelette.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Martinez, CA
Reviewed June 29, 2010

After a two night stay we're still not sure whether the pluses outweigh the minuses here. The facility is older, but well-maintained, two stories, no elevator, downtown & close to the freeway with associated traffic noise. It's clean, but the strong odor of some cleaner / freshener product took some getting used to. Bedding was comfortable. Staff was pleasant. Parking is an extra $10.00 per day . Breakfast included scrambled eggs and sausage one day, scrambled eggs and hm the other, along with the usual "continental" breakfast fare. Orange juice was watered down some and the only juice available the two mornings we were there. Dining area is cramped - we at at a table outdoors both mornings.

I don't think our room (#215 above the office) was typical. Although fairly spacious, it was the most awkwardly arranged room we've ever stayed in. TV situated at an angle and distant from the bed, nowhere to sit near the phone, bath towels hung about 8 feet from the tub, no counter space in the bathroom, etc. (see pictures). The free Internet connects via provided ethernet cable which, fortunately, is long enough to string across the room to a good-sized table. The air conditioning took a little time to figure out but worked well and quietly.

I can't say we wouldn't stay here again, but will thoroughly explore other options first.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple