Ocean Villa Inn
$209
Savings alert! 34% below average rates

The price you found is 34% lower than this hotel's average rate of $316/night.

Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$209
$188
Omni Hotels
Savings alert! 30% below average rates

The price you found is 30% lower than this hotel's average rate of $267/night.

Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$200
$183
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of $212/night.

$195
Hilton.com
  • Beachfront
La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites(La Jolla)
$207
  • Breakfast included
Blue Sea Beach Hotel(San Diego)
$311
$284
$269
$179
$161
Orbitz.com
  • Room Service
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$292
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of $280/night.

All reviewsdog beachdog rundog washtile floorsdog friendly hoteltreat bagdog lovingpoop bagsfirst floorcontinental breakfastwithin walking distancehard boiled eggsbottom floorsliding glassfull size fridgeyogurtheated pool
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Good: The only thing going for this motel is the location at Dog Beach. And the proximity to good restaurants. The pool was clean enough. Fridge in room. Nice desk staff.

Bad: The linens are old and thin. The water pressure was terrible. We ended up in a dog room on the bottom which is fine for those with dogs but it is basically a toilet. The tile floor looked clean but within minutes my feet were black. The dog wash drains right down to the room closest to the beach entrance. Parking is tight.

Continental breakfast is limited. Coffee, OJ, cereal, instant oatmeal, bagels/toast, pastry. Was not worth $80 a night. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Great location for dogs, unfit for humans.

This motel offers a great proximity to the beach and of-leash dog activities but as soon as you drive in the parking lot you'll know you've made a mistake booking here. It doesn't appear there has been any attempts to maintain the property. The rooms are dirty, walls have been unprofessionally patched from previous water damage (likely from the shower seeping to the bedroom wall) and the odor and cleanliness of the linens is ridiculous. To add insult to injury, the price isn't even cheap. It cost over $150 after taxes for a night at this dump in the off-season (March). I actually felt the need to drink just to stomach staying here the one night (leaving wasn't an option due to our lack of a vehicle to run away or the time to book a new location)!

If the owners really want to keep this business viable (the potential is still there based on location alone) please consider closing down for at least half a year and infusing a large amount of cash into rehabilitating this poor excuse for a motel.

Room Tip: Stay Away!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TripSkipper1
jennifer b, Public Relations Manager at Ocean Villa Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

I am writing to you on behalf of the entire staff of the Ocean Villa Inn to convey our apologies for the inconvenience which was caused to you. We express our heartfelt apologies and hope that you give us another opportunity.
As a part of our apologies I am offering you a complimentary 1 night stay in one of our newly renovated rooms. I wish to clarify the fact that this does not justify our mistake and it is just a part of our apology. Please, accept it and pardon us.

Jennifer Baker
Operations Manager

Reviewed April 23, 2014

I will preface this review by saying that I am a dog owner and I do think it's nice that this hotel offers the ability to stay somewhere with your dog. However, I found this place to be more like a motel that looks better in the photos online than it does in person.

My boyfriend wanted to take me to San Diego for a little weekend getaway to belatedly celebrate Valentine's day, and he found a deal for this place through Amazon Locals. I thought that it looked like it could be cute after viewing their website and seeing that they had a pool and "ocean view rooms." We ultimately opted not to bring my dog so that we could make more of a romantic weekend of it without having to worry about leaving him alone in the hotel all day if we wanted to go explore.

So we arrived and saw the place from the outside to which my boyfriend said "it's...quaint?" - sure, that's one way of looking at it. We parked and got out of the car and immediately heard the incessant barking from dogs that had been left in their hotel rooms by their owners. I already knew that could be an issue because my boyfriend is a light sleeper. We checked in at the front desk and got our room keys to our room that was on the second floor with said "ocean view."

Upon opening the door to our room we were greeted with the strong stench of cigarettes and mildew. I then knew why those poor dogs were barking in the rooms downstairs, they probably couldn't stand the smell of the rooms they were cooped up in! The bed looked like the mattress hadn't been changed in years, it had a U shape to it that would have made us both roll into the center at night. The bed cover had a nauseating design and appeared un-washed, which was enough for both of us to decide that staying here would surely kill the romantic vibe of the weekend. Last but not least, the "ocean view" was actually just a view of the jetty and it didn't smell much better outside than it did inside the room. The porch had some old deck furniture and the floor was made of rotting wood.

Within 10 minutes of being there, we were BOTH on the phone desperately trying to find another hotel, which was difficult considering it was St. Patrick's day weekend. But we ended up finding space at the Embassy Suites near the Gaslamp and just straight up left because my boyfriend couldn't stand it. We called a few minutes later to tell the guy at the front desk that we left because of the problems mentioned above. He seemed pretty indifferent to what we told him. Fortunately Amazon Locals refunded my boyfriend's money due to the gross misrepresentation of this place online. Seriously, I do think it's nice that this place allows people to bring their dogs, but I think it's WAY overpriced for what it's worth, even when you're buying it discounted through a business like Amazon Locals.

Bottom line is, if you're looking for an at least somewhat romantic place with CLEAN beds and NO SMOKING and NO MOLD, then this place is NOT for you! If you're looking for a place that probably doesn't care much about cleanliness because they know dogs will be staying there, then this place is probably what you're looking for. By the way, there is such a thing as third-hand smoke where the toxins from cigarettes linger on carpet and fabric, so if you're thinking of staying there with your children I would advise against it.

Room Tip: Avoid the room with the view of the jetty on the second floor. It smells like mold and cigarettes.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank charlotte a
jennifer b, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Villa Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

I am writing to you on behalf of the entire staff of the Ocean Villa Inn to convey our apologies for the inconvenience which was caused to you. We truly appreciate your feedback and we are working diligently to correct these problems. We express our heartfelt apologies and hope that you give us another opportunity.
As a part of our apologies we are offering you a complimentary one night stay. I wish to clarify the fact that this does not justify our mistake and it is just a part of our apology. Please, accept it and pardon us. Please contact me personally to make your reservation
Jennifer Baker

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Check-in was fast and easy. Room was basic, but clean. If you aren't a dog lover or are sensitive to noise, this might not be the best place for you. We could hear every step our upstairs neighbor took, all night long.... Heated pool, great location with tons of places nearby for food. Very simple breakfast in the morning next to the reception area, but it was free so I wont complain. Towels are rough but they work. Shampoo and lotion and soap offered in the room.
Ocean Beach (OB) is a mix between hippies and students and regular people, pretty much all of them own dogs and walk everywhere. We felt safe walking around at night. And the beach! Very close, but not close enough to leave your door open at night to hear the waves. The dog run behind the rooms on the 1st floor was convenient but muddy so I had to wipe my dogs feet off each time to avoid a mess. Some people let their dogs back there with no supervision and we ended up with a bunch of poop on our porch. The dog wash area was fun, though my dog wasn't too happy!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SnailLover
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Just wanted to quickly say that despite reviews that mention concerns about noise from dog owners, I had absolutely no issues at this hotel. It was a fantastically cheap and well-located hotel, in the heart of OB, with friendly staff and clean comfortable rooms.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends