Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town
Ranked #116 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Very nice property, when we first arrived I was a little wary because the entrance is right off the street, but once you get into the property it's very pleasant. The interior decor is very nice. The location is good, close to the freeway, short drive to downtown and Old Town is a few blocks away. There is was no noise from traffic or anything. The room was comfortable; could have used some better lighting, but not a big deal. The amenities were great. The hot breakfast was a great way to start the day. We'll definitely keep this hotel in mind when we stay in SD again.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Our recent stay was very nice. The room in the back building, was very clean and nicely decorated. We arrived late and were not only welcomed cordially, but our parking fee was waived as grandson was graduating from MCRD. That was extremely generous. I asked for and received a quiet room; but next time will remember to try for windows that open. I imagine for safety reasons and streetside was the reason ours were sealed shut. Breakfast was a real savings; yes, simple, but it was welcomed by our family, who have simple tastes. Really, how many waffles, bagels, etc. can you eat at one sitting. I think for the time and budget savings, it was well worth it. The breakfast area was always clean,tidy, and the outside areas are very nicely decorated with beautiful plantings. I like that you can access the property only by a key card to outside gates or through the front lobby. That made me feel secure. The beds were extremely comfortable; I have a bad back, so this was very important to me in particular. You are within walking distance to Old Town and we only had to use the car to get to MCRD. The bathrooms were very, very clean and I like that they only change your sheets/towels if needed. We went all three nights without having them changed. Once you get the hang of the 3 buildings, it's a cinch to get to and from your room. Overall, we were treated exceptionally well and any questions or concerns were addressed immediately by the staff. We got a killer recommendation for the Coyote Cafe and loved it so much, we ate there all three nights. It was simply awesome! And, don't bother with trying to park on the street. There's not that much parking in the area, and I would not have liked to ponder where I was going to park late at night. The parking garage is a little tight, but our SUV made it in and out quite handily, plus access to your vehicle, again, is only by key card. How safe can that be. I do think, though, that the parking fee could be a little less, even though we didn't have to pay for it this time. I think 1/2 the price would be more reasonable. Will absolutely stay there again, and I am very particular about the hotels/motels I stay in. I really couldn't come up with any reason not to be a repeat customer. Thank you for such a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back building. The neighborhood behind there was exceptionally quiet and a hig...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank SonomaFoodie
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Arrived in San Diego to enjoy 7 days from snow of Calgary, Canada. Confirmed pickup at airport and all once we had our baggage. Took 1.5 before someone finally came to get us. I had confirmed reservation at hotel and all week prior for two queen beds at this hotel. Upon arrival, the hotel was already full due to the Marine Graduation at Miramair Marine base north of San Diego. Our reservation was for double occupancy two queen beds, but instead as they couldnt accomendate we ended up with a studio with one bed. I had taken my mother along with me on this holiday and this was not the best way to start my holiday. They provided a bed (futon rolly in bed) which was not comfortable at all. The lady at the information desk told us to check in two days as maybe something would show up and they would try. We arrived on Wednesday and couldn't get a two bedroom occupancy till Saturday. The service people at the front desk seemed very abrupt and rude.

Beds not comofrtable; pillows very flat and linens very dirty when we arrived. Upon checking out they made me feel very stupid. The contential breakfast was a joke as nothing avaliable at 7:30am as hotel was loaded. We spent a lot of money in Old Town at Hungry's or lil cafes to have breakfast as atleast we were guaranteed a hot breakfast or something to eat.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Saskrider1981
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Saskrider1981,

Thank you for your comments. We take all feedback serioulsy, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. You can be assured that I will address these issues with my staff to correct them from happening in the future. Again I do apologize for any problems you may have encountered and please feel free to contact me directly if you are coming back to the area for furture reseravtions.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

This property offered both airport transportation and close to Old Town for a walk and was in the medium price range for San Diego hotels which are expensive for the most part. Parking is an additional charge but it is covered and gated. Breakfast that was served was not as good as others served by similar or competing brands in different cities Will agree that some attention to this could bring about a compliment from most patrons.

Hot tub was working!!! Room was nice, bedding comfortable, TV great. First floor not appealing view but convenient to wheel out the next day.Upper floor offers some great balcony views. Staff was plesant, but failed to tell us that airport van needed RESERVATION the next morning when they should have known since i asked where the rental car return was to take my car after check in and asked for times of van the next morning. Could have been disaster, so manager, go over this with front desk!!! Easy location to find. Would use again if needed.

Room Tip: No street noise was noticed with an inside room.
1  Thank LRSkier2
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear LRSkier,

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback regarding your stay at my hotel. I am glad you were able to utilize the shuttle and the hotel was conveniently located for you. We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

My husband and I only stayed a night but everything was great. We checked in early with no problems, friendly and informative front desk associate, we set up our airport shuttle easily and when we got to the front desk in the morning the driver was right on time. The associate that morning, at 5am, was very friendly and helpful, kudos to him! We needed extra towels and toothpaste and it was brought immediately. Location is awesome and its a nice old town feel. We would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for close to lobby.
1  Thank Tonia I
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We are usually happy with our stays at Fairfield Inns, but the Fairfield Inn in Old Town San Diego was a bitter disappointment. While the hotel staff was, for the most part, lovely, our room was not. I imagine that the hotel was aiming for a sleek modern look with the room furnishings, but instead our room came across as cold and spartan. For the price, we expected more. The real deal-breaker came when my husband decided to take a shower before bed. He stepped into the shower, turned the water on, and when he pulled on the shower stem the entire tub faucet and a length of pipe came out of the wall in his hands! Water was pouring into the wall but we managed to shut it off. The desk sent maintenance up but he said he would have to wait for his supervisor to fix it in the morning because it would require a torch. The hotel was full so they couldn't move us to another room. Thankfully, we were able to shower in my sister's room the next morning before departing for whale camp in Mexico where shower facilities would be limited. When we checked out I talked to the desk manager about a discount. He said they had already taken $25 off of our bill. I said I didn't think that was much of a discount for all of the inconvenience so he grudgingly gave me a 50% discount. The breakfast buffet was fine. I would not stay at the Fairfield Inn in Old Town again. Too expensive for what you get.

Room Tip: The hotel is something of a rabbit warren (windy hallways and multiple buildings) and we had to walk...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear Nancy P,

Thank you for your review on April 3, 2014. I deeply regret the experience you had with the plumbing in your room and offer a sincere apology. After reviewing your review I ensured that the issue was fixed and it has already been taken care of. Obviously that is not the level of service you would come to expect from a Marriott property. Again please accept my apology and I hope you will give Marriott another chance.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We decided to stay at the Fairfield mainly because of the free breakfast. We had reservations at the Old Town Inn but cancelled for above reason.
Gotta say that out of all the places we've stayed at that provide breakfast this was the worst. Sausage seemed to be uncooked or warm in the microwave. LlMP with no evidence of browning. Scrambled eggs like yellow rubber. I understand it's free, but I would think perhaps the "Chef" might want to rethink serving such a uneatable mess.

1  Thank Tom C
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Tom C,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your stay at my hotel in Old Town. I do apologize if the breakfast was not up to your standards. We strive to provide a good hot breakfast and I will be sure to share your thoughts with the chef so he can address your concerns.

Sincerely.