Just stayed at this hotel last week for two nights. It's easy to find, right off I-5. It's convenient if you want to travel around the city without driving, as the Trolley Tour ($36 per person, but worth it) runs all day and stops at all the top locations. We took it for an afternoon at the Hotel Del Coronado, stopped at Balboa Park, etc. There are several restaurants within walking distance, and they were OK. I had talked to a local when I was at the Zoo and he told me that most of the restaurants in Old Town were not that great, to try the Presidio Park area or in the heart of downtown. But by the end of two busy days, we were wiped out and just wanted to grab a quick dinner close by. We were on the second floor, near the laundry room. If you see that you are, ask for a different location. They do the laundry all night, in the middle of the night, and I could hear the machines. Not super loud, but loud enough I woke up a couple of times. Rooms were clean, comfortable, with extra pillow and blanket in the closet. We had to ask for maid service on our second day, as no one had showed up by mid-afternoon. By that time, I just asked for extra towels instead. There is a liquor store across the street that boasts 400 kinds of tequila, and I believe they are probably not making that up. It also has deli-style sandwiches and salads to go, with lots of snacks. Very nice people working there.
Be aware there are a lot of homeless people in this area of town, asking for money. Or being drunk and fighting with each other. I almost dialed 911 at one point when I saw two guys getting into it with each other, but scurried off to my room and locked my door instead.
The staff at the hotel is very nice. Food at the breakfast buffet is what you'd expect - fruit, muffins, toast, bagels, cereals, make-your-own waffles, etc. Plenty of hot coffee all the time.
I would stay here again, perhaps just a differently located room away from the laundry room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the culture and history of San Diego's Old Town, Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town provides travelers with a relaxing escape. Set away from the bustle of the city, and located minutes from San Diego's top beaches, our accommodations are perfect for those who want to be near it all yet revel in the slow pace that comes with a removed place. Old Town, with its charm and stories, delights and there is no shortage of museums and authentic shops to explore here. If you are looking for hotel suites in San Diego that let you completely unwind as you visit Old Town, Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town is ideal. We offer excellent value for travelers desiring more space, modern amenities, and an exceptional San Diego location. Our hotel provides a free daily breakfast and easy access to the Gaslamp District, Petco Park, Qualcomm Stadium and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Marriott, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairfield Inn And Suites San Diego Old Town
- Fairfield Inn & Suites San Diego Old Town Hotel San Diego
- Holiday Inn Old Town
- Holiday Inn San Diego
- San Diego Holiday Inn