“A relaxing stay in Old Town”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town
Ranked #119 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bakersfield
“A relaxing stay in Old Town”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My family stayed overnight at this hotel. Our experience was one of the best we've ever had at a Marriot Chain. We arrived too early to check in, but the front desk expedited the cleaning of available rooms and called us within an hour to check in. The rooms were very clean, and the beds were very comfortable. Our room overlooked the courtyard, and we could see a view of the pretty fountain and swimming pool. The location of the hotel is excellent as you can have a fun walk around Old Town San Diego (think historic site with a lot of Mexican Food restaurants). In addition, the hotel is within a walking distance of Amtrak and the trolley. (check with google maps for distance). The continental breakfast was fairly typical, but good way to start the day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Reitziger1
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for the kind review of the property and your stay!! We take great pride in our hotel and love to hear this great feedback. I will be sure to share it with the entire team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Front desk staff was very helpful. We stayed in room 136 two adults three children - great room. Plenty of space. $20 cab ride to Sea World. Excellent breakfast. Our experience was excellent and we would have no problem recommending this property. Our room was ready early nice and clean.

Room Tip: We liked 136
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for staying with us and I am glad we were able to accommodate your early check in.
Elmhurst, Illinois
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our family just spent 5 days at this hotel and we really enjoyed ourselves. The room was great, very clean , with a balcony overlooking the pool. The staff were always pleasant, and willing to help in anyway possible. The breakfast offerings were wonderful and it was a nice way to start the day without having to go out to eat. I am a coffee lover and they always had hot fresh coffee in the morning and early evening.
The courtyard area was very nice with tables and fountains, a very relaxing area to sit and read or eat.
We used the shuttle service several times, and they were very courteous and helpful as well.
We loved that we could walk to Old town and enjoy the great mexican food and shops.
We also used the washer and dryer which was great after several days at the beach.
A word of caution for the out of towners, remember to turn your wheels for up hill and downhill parking, we were welcomed with a ticket on our windshield the first day there. Street parking was never a problem, and we used the underground garage as well.
Hope to return to San Diego some day and I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GailHS
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your week in Old Town! The hotel is perfectly suited for a family vacation and close to all the area attractions in San Diego. We hope to see you back again soon.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We had a nice modern room with nice amenities. The room was convenient to street parking and the lobby. Located about 5 minutes from downtown San Diego. We were not disappointed. Only issue was the noise from the room above in the mornings.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Erik S
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews I was rather skeptical about keeping my reservation. Much to my surprise , it was just fine. I got an upgrade to a suite, yes I'm a Marriott Rewards Member. And the room wasn't ready but she called me when it was. BY THE WAY it was before the guaranteed time 4pm. Desk clerk was very nice & friendly. NO COMPLAINTS WHAT SO EVER!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David F
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I've stayed at Fairfields and am an Elite member of Marriott. Imagine my happiness when the staff was rude, refused an upgrade, claimed they had no manager, and then when I pushed the issue, said the manager would be in far too late for me to speak with.

The shower would not go on and nobody seemed to know how to operate it. They offered to send someone up at 7:00 to turn on my shower but I had 3 other people still sleeping in my room. So what do they do???? They call on the phone after we hung up and woke everyone up anyways! They claimed there was a lever but I can assure you there was not a lever. At 45 years old and a seasoned traveler, I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot of showers.

I don't believe I've seen so much of the "back end of the house" as I have this hotel. Their kitchen door stayed open during the breakfast hours and it was UGLY!

These people were rude, not knowledgeable about their own property and just didn't care.

And BTW, the room was dirty with HAIR in the bathroom. The extra blankets clearly had not been washed and had long black hairs on them. I LOVE hair on the bathroom floor and on my blankets. The hair on my "clean" towels was delightful. I had to use beach towels from home and used the hair towels for the floor. This problem was not solvable as there was no manager in this property.

I don't care if this property is in Old Town. It should be at a truck stop.

I've stayed at properties in the smallest towns in Texas that serve oilfield workers (Texas City) and these people ROCK! I guess proper customer service spoiled me. I expected more from a hotel in the historic part of San Diego.

Will not be back. They won't care anyways except to post a rebuttal by the manager that says he/she was not aware of the situation and that my situation was uncommon. So what? I shouldn't have had this disgusting a stay in any instance.

On the plus side, they did fold the toilet paper in little triangles at the ends so I would feel luxury. Boy did that make everything better.

Room Tip: Go to a different Marriott in town. There are several to choose from. Ask for a bathroom that has...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DEY1124
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
I appreciate your honest feedback in reagrds to your stay at my hotel in Old Town. I will be sure to address your concerns with my team so we can ensure a better stay for all of our future guests.
Chino Valley, Arizona, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Holy cow, what do you have to do to get a good nights sleep?
This is supposed to be a four star hotel, NOT!!
The room was located on the corner, next to a stoplight, which CHEEPED all night long, ( to help blind people cross the street ) ACROSS from the elevator, the only one from the underground garage, AND next to a fire door for the rest of the rooms on the floor. People in and out ALL night, slamming that door. nd I have not yet mentioned the NOISY air-conditioner.

We had pre-booked four nights through hotel.bed, and this knowledge doomed us to less than stellar service. e could not get our room changed and went to a different hotel for the second night. We had been assured that a different room was reserved for the last two nights. Boy was I gullible!

We returned only to find ourselves booked into the same room. Really?
DO NOT BOOK HERE IF YOU WANT TO SLEEP!!!

Room Tip: Do not book here, you won't SLEEP.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Terry W
I am sorry to hear that experienced less thn stellar service at my location. That is not the nornal experience at the Fairfield Inn Old Town.