“Great Location in Old Town San Diego”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town
Ranked #121 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was my second stay at this property since it has been under the management of Marriott. The service is improved since the prior visit. The conversion continues to improve the property, especially with the enlargement of the breakfast dining space and the completely refreshed rooms. The location is ideal for enjoying all that Old Town San Diego has to offer. Some truly great Mexican cuisine can be found there. One improvement that could be made would be if the airport shuttle ran on both the hour and half hour and later in the evening. Another would be in room safes. Daniel was very helpful at the front desk.

Room Tip: The upper floor rooms facing the courtyard are the most attractive and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for the great compliments on our new Renovated hotel!! We are very proud of it and have great service to go along with the product. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I took my family (Wife and 2 daughters (8 &5)) to San Diego and we decided to stay in Old Town for a few days and then move on to La Jolla. We chose the Fairfield Inn and Suites property for several reasons. The main reason being the size of the rooms as pictured on their website. Once we arrived (after 2 a.m.) we were greeted pleasantly and checked in promptly. Weary from the long day of flying we had just experienced to arrive in San Diego, all I wanted to do was fall into a nice comfortable bed. We got our room assignment and headed for the elevator. Once we arrived at our assigned room, I was confused. The room we were given was much smaller and not near as nice as the pictures we had seen on the internet. I asked my wife to only unpack what was necessary to get us ready for bed and then I made a trip back to the front desk. The front desk staff was sympathetic to my plight but made it a point to recite back to me what I had indeed booked on the internet and it was not a suite. The suites are more expensive and they were completely booked for the night. I stated that I was under the assumption that all the rooms were suites due to the fact I had seen no pictures of standard rooms on their website and that I was in fact a Gold Elite member and should be upgraded at the earliest point possible. I went to bed optimistic that I would receive a call the next morning with a resolution. The next morning we awoke with anticipation of our Sea World trip and headed downstairs for breakfast. While my family enjoyed the continental breakfast, I re-attacked the room situation. There had been a shift change during the night and there was no mention of my predicament to the new crew and they also informed me of the non-availability of an upgraded room and again reminded me I had not originally booked a suite but a less expensive room. So, I asked for them to send up someone to help me with my bags in about an hour because I would be checking out and headed to breakfast with my family. Surprise, Surprise, a larger room had just become available and I was moved immediately. The new room we were given was very spacious and provided ample space for a family of four to sleep and dress comfortably. The hotel is walking distance from Old Town and many great restaurants. We also used the Transit System exclusively on our trip and one of the main Bus/Trolley Transit centers was only a few blocks from the hotel. The pool area was nice and well maintained with a small but very warm, jetted jacuzzi. One item to note that my oldest daughter wanted me to include in this revew: the television/cable system at the hotel is not kid friendly. If your kids are used to watching Disney Channel or Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network you will have to pay an additional amount on your bill to make it happen. I think the Kids Viewing Package was an additional $3.99 per day. We opted to watch the news.

Room Tip: Room # 140.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank autigers5252
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

I want to thank your entire family for there feedback on your stay at the Fairfield Inn. I do apologize for the confusion, our hotel is not all suites it is a combination of standard rooms and suites, however each room does have a microwave and mini-fridge. We appreciate your loyalty to Marriott and the Rewards program and do try and accommodate upgrades whenver possible. Also good news for your children we are in the process of looking at new cable providers who would supply our guests with complimentary childrens channels! Please come back and see us again.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We just got back from a stay at the Fairfield in Old Town. The location is great - within walking distance to everything in Old Town as well as the light rail into downtown. They provide breakfast (which was pretty good) and free internet - always a plus. Our room was a little on the dirty side - particularly in the bathroom. And it there was a musty smell during our stay. Certainly not deal breakers, but did put a damper on the experience. All in all, we were satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Old Town! We are glad you were satisfied with your stay and hope to see you back in the near futures.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

So we ended up with a 6am return flight and I needed to book something near SD airport. This was a good last stop on our way home. Arrived about 4pm, check in was smooth, thanks to the reviewer who offered advice of just pooling up to loading zone and then figuring out parking later. We chose the below ground gated garage option, which made me feel safe, and was well lit enough that it wasn't creepy. Stayed in room 113, if you are noise sensitive, please note the central AC has blower fans that are rather loud, though my kids say it is white noise, and it does help to drown out the banging doors of other families in the hallway. Room is clean. Another reviewer was correct, not your typical Fairfield setup, the room is more like a typical motel set up. Pool looked clean, but having just spent 3 days at a Mariott resort in Dana Point, we basically didn't bother. Old San Diego Towne is a decent place to kill time for about two hours, and pick up a few last minute cheezy vacation souvenirs and east Mexican, cerveza or margie, but I wouldn't have went there otherwise. We also took a quick run to Coronado Island, just about 10 minutes away. It is only a block away. We appear to just be a few miles from rental car area, which BTW is way offsite from the airport.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I should have read the previous warning from another guest. I received a call from the "front desk" stating the computer just went down and they needed to update my information, A very professional sounding voice convinced me since she knew I just checked in. I was in a hurry to get to an event and I was scammed. Luckily, my credit card notified me, but when giving the hotel another credit card after telling the front desk what happened, the clerk told me that this happens repeatedly and I shouldn't answer the phone. Duh.. a little too late for me!
Don't they have a duty to inform guests of any threats? I was alarmed since someone knew I just checked in but it didn't seem to concern the hotel.

I reported this to the police and was just mailed some proof that will hopefully help them find the people who did this. I eventually asked to speak to the manager on duty and she admitted that the front desk did not handle it well and apologized. She gave me some Marriott points. that helps...but it still creeped me out...also beware of maids who walk in the room without knocking first. On a positive side, the breakfast is great and the rooms were quiet. They provided me with a very nice room upon checking in. Being close to the freeway was also a plus!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Sherry-TRIP
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on you rmost recent stay. I do apologize for the inconvenience you encountered and can assure you that measures have been taken to ensure this does not happen again! I am glad you enjoyed the room and the breakfast I hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I was hesitant at first, but dont let looks be the judge, this is an absolutely great hotel and location. Room decor, is different unique but a great place to stay. Location is close to the airport with a shuttle, very safe and good food close to hotel.

Would stay here in a heartbeat again

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Shaun_SWO
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This place was incredible. Only wish I could have gotten in earlier and walked around the area. Quite delightful. Need to be aware if you have a 6 AM flight as I did, hotel doesn't provide compl airport shuttle until 5 AM. If you're flying Southwest, not nearly enough time to allow just an hour. Had to take a taxi at about $15.00. But then they did tell me that. Still, a great hotel, very friendly folks. Would stay there again for sure.

Room Tip: Just beware if you have a very early departure.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business