“Overall, a wonderful stay.”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town
Ranked #116 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mission Viejo, California
“Overall, a wonderful stay.”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My mother, brother, and I surprised my sister this past weekend with an overnight stay here for her birthday. I'm very glad I chose here, because the overall stay was very nice.

Before I begin, I want to mention that when you first drive up to the front of the hotel on Jefferson, park in the typically-empty loading zone. Don't try to go into the underground parking structure, expecting someone to be there to help you or a button to call for someone, and then try to reverse out of there cursing yourself quietly (this was not me at all). Park on the curb, check in, then use your room key to get into the structure.

The hotel itself is unique and wonderfully located, as it's nuzzled right between Jefferson and San Diego Ave. It's close enough to the action of Old Town (walking distance), without all the noise. The rooms have a different layout than I've seen in a hotel before. There's a stretch of hallway, and then an opening to the outside with about 2 rooms, before going to another stretch of hallway. It's different, and struck me as a mix of a hotel and motel. It was pretty neat, but I'm glad we got a room in a hallway (because of the rain).

It should be mentioned that my sister is in a wheelchair at the moment from surgery late March. The doorways were all wide enough to accommodate, though I'm not sure how well one would be able to move about inside the hotel room/bathroom with strictly a wheelchair, and no use of crutches. It was roomy enough for her to easily get around in the crutches. With the bathroom being so small, however, I don't think someone solely in a wheelchair will get by as easily. Though we did not have a handicap accessible room, so it may be unfair to judge the bathroom.

We were on the second floor, so had a balcony overlooking the courtyard. It was very nice to hear the fountain below with the doors open. I also want to mention real quick that the A/C unit works very well and actually makes the room cold! Due to rain, we couldn't keep the balcony doors open (which a nice breeze had been coming from). We didn't use the pool/jacuzzi, but I will mention the jacuzzi looked well heated (we could see the steam lol) and the pool is small and doesn't look to go any deeper than 4.5 feet.

The money-winner for us was, believe it or not, the desk. It was an incredibly welcome surprise when we noticed the desk was on wheels and could actually be moved in between the beds! My sister loves playing board games and we had brought some along with us to play, and that little cherry on top made game-play so convenient and comfortable for all! While playing games, we got the munchies. Turns out, there's a liquor store directly across the street from the second floor - talk about convenient. We were there and back in ten minutes flat. Again, excellent location.

Sleep quality here was not an issue of noise, but comfort. The bed is good, the sheets are comfy, but the pillows suck. They seemed like they would be really nice, but when it came to actually sleeping on them... One pillow is not enough, two is overkill and strains the neck. In hindsight, I would bring my own pillow, or a baby pillow to combine with one of the hotel pillows. Pillows really effect how well one sleeps, but other than the pillows, everything was great.

With all the great things I read about breakfast, I will say I did go in with some level of expectations. They were not met in the slightest. At the very, very best, it was ok. And that's only if you find something you actually want to, or can, eat. Granted, it's complimentary (thank God), but it's not really breakfast... just yogurt, fruit, microwave jimmy dean sandwiches, and make-your-own waffles that no one was interested in eating. It was a bit of a let down that my sister's birthday breakfast was a banana and cup of grapefruit :| Had I known, I wouldn't have told her that I heard great things about the complimentary breakfast here, and have her be let down as well.

Overall, the stay was great and my sister had a great weekend. The goal was met in that regard! Had the breakfast been breakfast, I would have given 5/5 in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Park in the loading zone to check in. Rooms facing the courtyard are quieter. If you get a balco...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Theresa414

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Pros:
1. Free breakfast
2. Free wifi
3. Half mile walk to trolley
4. Recently remodeled
5. Clean rooms with flat screen tvs and granite counters
6. Friendly staff
7. 2 min walk to old town with food and shops

Cons:
1. 30 mins to downtown with walk and trolley ride but only $5 round trip
2. $15 cab ride to downtown

Overall I highly recommend this hotel for its value and location.

• Stayed May 2013
Wakefield, RI
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is an approximate 20 year old property, formerly a Ramada Inn and has been a Fairfield for the last year. Great location right off the interstate and directly at the mouth of Old Town San Diego. One of the closets Marriott’s to the airport (10 minutes) and was the most inexpensive at the time I booked. The outside architecture is quite neat, don’t know if it’s Mexican adobe but till stylish for the area. The rooms are standard sized, clean and comfortable. Extra large fridge and pleasingly large LCD TV (but with a disappointing meager 30 channel lineup). Internet speed above average, noisy air conditioner. Small pool, very nice courtyard in the middle of the property. Breakfast is so-so, only hot choice are waffles or a microwaved sausage sandwich. Other than that, sugary cereals, fresh fruit, etc. Staff was very accommodating and friendly. Only real peeve I have is the airport shuttle only goes hourly- for a property that close to the airport, it should be more frequent or on-demand. Good choice for the business or recreational traveler, especially if a visit to Old Town is top on your list.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank edtoby007
Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Loved my room facing the courtyard, mostly quiet except one night I'll swear there was an elephant staying in the room above me and could clearly hear people having it off in the next room for a bit as well. I was lucky to be staying in an end room so only had to deal with the noise from two neighbours but that was really only on the weekend - the rest of my five day stay was lovely and quiet.

The room was excellent: clean, spacious, well set up, and comfortable with great pillows, soft bed and a sofa chair. Staff were really friendly and helpful too.

Only downside was breakfast was pretty awful unless you like microwave in a bag egg and sausage muffins (they did have DIY waffles but I'm not into sugary breakfasts) so I skipped out to eat in a nearby restaurant instead. Eventually found the best espresso at the coffee cart near the trolley tour booth - the guy there pulled the best macchiato I had in the US.

Room Tip: Facing the courtyard on the south side of the hotel was mostly nice and quiet (and away from the poo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Julie M
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We reserved 25 rooms. No complaints (that's rare).
Lovely garden setting, eat breakfast in the garden area if you like.
recently re-modeled w/ great up grades, better than we've seen in some of the 5 stars we've booked.
great location for Old Town, it's in walking distance.
No restaurant, but the Continental breakfast is better than usual, includes Jimmy Dean sausage and egg muffins and u-make waffles along with the usual fruits and cereals.

Room Tip: choose upper floor if hotel pedestrians (minimal) out side the room bothers you
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed here for one night with my family, which included 2 small children. We checked in fairly late, at 9PM, and the receptionist was very friendly and efficient. We were assigned 2 rooms right next to each other, as requested.

We were a bit concerned with parking, as we drove here from Orange County. We had NO PROBLEM finding free street parking on the same block that the hotel is on. There is ample street parking, and I would recommend trying to park on the street before paying the exorbitant charge of $15 per night to park in their underground structure.

Free breakfast was great, with make your own waffles and plenty of food for our family to enjoy.

The pool and jacuzzi were open until 10PM, and the jacuzzi was actually hot, unlike most hotels where it is merely lukewarm.

The room had everything we needed: a nice flatscreen TV, desk area, good lighting and a microwave and refrigerator.

We would definitely stay here again. It was an easy walk to old town for shopping or dining or to the Old Town Transportation center to catch a bus, trolley or train.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hbsprite
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The rooms here are poorly soundproofed and you can hear peoples TV in adjacent rooms as well as above. The exhaust fan in the bathroom didn't work either. The rooms are also quite small for the price ( I paid $147.00 for two queens + $20.00 for parking in the garage. I also noticed that the elevator permits has expired 6 months ago.

My biggest issue is with the rude staff at the front desk. They tried to tell me I only booked a king bed for three people when I knew it was for a premium room with two queens.The clerk said he "didn't have time to redo the reservation" as it was too much work. He also stated that they have no obligation to honor 3rd party reservations such as mine booked through Expedia. I also hear the same story told to other customers by other desk personnel. The location is closes to the freeway and airport too. You can't keep the door open because of the noise.

Room Tip: rooms facing the center coart yard tend to be quieter. Don't get ripped off by the parking fee.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Larry H
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing that feedback with me regarding your stay at my hotel. I understand your frustration with your room type not being reserved properly. I can tell you that when you book thru a third party web site they send over the reservation as "run of the house". They do not specify which type of room the guest would prefer so we do our best to accommodate all reservation requests. My recommendation would be to book direct thru Marriott.com for your next trips.