“There are better beaches...but the town (and beach) are fun”
Review of Ocean Beach

Ranked #41 of 451 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One-mile long beach features a municipal pier for walking and fishing plus designated areas reserved for swimming and surfing.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 17, 2014

The beach varies depending on where you park. The part I visited was in a cove...and teenagers were jumping off a cliff into the surf. The beach is easy access...but the water is cleaner elsewhere along the coast. The town of Ocean Beach has a number of unique specialty shops.

1  Thank DrWJW

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Ocean Beach has great potential, it is a beautiful beach. It is cleaner than the last time we went, not as much litter. For adults only the beach is a great place to hang out. THE LOW RATING is because this time we were there with our children and that was mistake. We had at least 4 transients at different times came up and started talking to one of our children. It was even the same child approached. We were supervising them as they played and were there for a couple hours during the day. We were staying close by the kids, not right by their side because they were all playing in the same area but spaced apart, we tend to stay closer to the youngest ones. Whenever one of these guys went up to one of the children, we would have to walk up right beside our children and then the men would leave immediately. We did our best to be tolerant, but after a while we just had to leave for the safety of our children. I don't feel these beach is safe for children, so if you go, please keep an eye on them. We were also approached many times and asked for money. I have no choice but to rate it low because we felt our children were not safe.

4  Thank adgwisdom
Reviewed August 15, 2014

I have lived here since February 2014. I am a veteran with two bronze stars and an honorable discharge. I am also Homeless and one of the more respected homeless people out here. I have a solution to your problems. Give us our own building. There is an abandoned bank right next to starbucks that people are squatting in I have been in it. We will have people incharge and we will not tolerate the shenanigans of the tweekers and drunks. We can shower and do art and have our own community. Thanks,

5  Thank dallama101985
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Don't come to this place, is crap!, a lot of kids ages of 17-23, pretending to be homeless and wanna be hippies, complaining all the time about the law and society, they don't contribute to the community, in any way!!. they cause a lot of trouble to this community and they are destroying it. I don't understand why law enforcement don't do anything about it, they steal, they do drugs, leaving needles, broken pipes, and god knows what other crap, they harassed the tourist, don't pay taxes.. These kids are a big problem!!! I was a victim of all this crap!!, is a GANG!! I had to move somewhere else because it came to a point that I wasn't safe anymore...they should be in jail, in a foster home, or with their parents, lots of them are under 18- 21!!!i don't feel sorry for any of them, we all work, and build this society together, and these kids destroy it...these kids take from the REAL HOMELESS PEOPLE, the tourist and people that come here often get confused and instead of helping the real homeless they help these stupid kids, they take food from the church located in sunset cliffs, when that food is reserved for REAL HOMELESS PEOPLE, they are very good actors... The pacific coast it stretches from Argentina all the way up to Alaska, there is tons of space!!, but instead they prefer OB, to steal, party, drugs, harass people... Sometimes their excuse is that they are spiritual travelers, or that they are just peaceful hippies... NOT TRUE!! Spoiled kids that want to live for free from the people they robe and the community... We pay taxes so that law enforcement can babysit these kids, is pathetic...

8  Thank Alex V
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Easy parking, right up to beach. Kids loved it. 1st San Diego beach so far. Not sure how it compares. Dog beach here if u have dogs too