“Everything you need”

Ranked #122 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
San Clemente, Italy
“Everything you need”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We stayed here during my daughter's softball tournament held in the local area. What a convenient location. Planners did well to have a Wendy's, gas station, and Chili's within walking distance.

As you drive in, there is plenty of parking, and I believe it is always free. Stepping inside the hotel, I was struck by the newer, modern vibe. Clean and fresh feeling.

Moving up the elevator, the rooms really have everything one needs--clean, newish furniture and carpet. Microwave and mini fridge, sink, coffee maker, even plastic utensils and plates! Bathroom--nice shower, full length mirror. Even a little closet with decent (not tiny) hair dryer and an iron! The bed is better than you would imagine for this level hotel--really comfy with lots of down pillows--the benefits of the Marriott connection. And, though you see the road or freeway from your room, road noise was not a factor from my 2nd floor room.

I wouldn't describe the room as a suite, however. It is more like a compact studio. That said, I love the design and the efficient use of space. Very clever layout and everything you need really is all there. Whatever designer came up with this layout should be awarded.

The breakfast is quite satisfying and seating area very pleasant, with newer, clean and dare I say pretty furniture. AND there is plenty of seating--an issue at many of these extended stay hotels, but not here. Best fresh strawberries I have ever had at any hotel breakfast.

Oh, and there is also a small fitness room with treadmill, weights, stair climber. And, a small pool. Don't expect to do laps in it, but it is warm, so kids can jump in even at night.

Lastly, the staff I encountered at every level were friendly and helpful. When I brought a concern I had to their attention, they were sympathetic and solved the problem. Employees of the hotel seem appropriately suited for the hospitality industry. Wow, what do you know.

We look forward to staying there again next year.

Green Features: I didn't see any towel replacement policies listed in the room. That would help. I hope they use water savers for the sinks.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TerryO O
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for the review! Our team is committed to making our guests' stay both enjoyable and comfortable. We value your feedback, and are grateful for the recognition you placed on our breakfast and room. We hope you'll come back and visit soon.

Warm regards,
Kelly Herrington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Kaysville, Utah
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Hotel was easy to find, clean and staff friendly. The location is convenient to major roads, and restaurants but not a destination unto itself. We enjoyed being there as a stop over between Sea World and some other sight seeing heading north up the coast. They did a good job handling a big breakfast crowd generated by youth sports groups staying during the weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of on Trip Advisor. I appreciate you sharing your positive experiences with us. It is nice to hear that you found the property and the staff to meet your needs during your stay here in San Diego. We look forward to your next trip back.

San Diego, California
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Yes, it is a suite -- in a very loose definition! There is no door between the "living room" and "bedroom". There is about a eight foot opening between the two "rooms". The televisions are about 10 feet apart! Try watching two different programs!!
My son and I stayed there while our house was being tented for termites. I wanted two rooms because he returns late from work and wants to unwind with television. This arrangement did not work for us.
The room was very small. The A/C would not stay on 68 -- it kept increasing. The website showed a whirlpool tub. Not even close!
I'm glad it was only two nights. Didn't feel I got the "bang for the buck".

3 Thank TropicalSanDiego
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank for taking the time write a review of your experience at my hotel on Trip Advisor. I want to apologize that the hotel was not up to par. I will follow through by sharing your comments with the appropriate departments to help improve our service levels in the affected areas for you and future guests. We hope to see you in the near future so that we may provide you with the excellent service you are accustomed to from Marriott.

Del Mar, California
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Stay here on business and found the hotel to be clean and your standard SpringHill hotel. The check-in and the check-out process was less than efficient and a little disappointing. The breakfast was just ok, your standard SpringHill offering. There was just one toaster available which took a 10 minute wait to use. I found the bed not up to Marriott standards, it was not very comfortable. All in all a pretty standard SpringHill hotel, just nothing special.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Michael D
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, May 1, 2014

Diamond Bar, California
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I have stayed in many hotels. From 5 hotels to hole in the wall motel for my business travels. During my stay I never felt obligated to write a review, a good one or a bad one. However my recent stay at this hotel has prompted me to write this review. In my years of travel I have yet to find one that is as friendly and courteous as this one. My stay here at this hotel was very delightful. It did not feel like a hotel; but, more like home or staying over at friends house. The rooms are very clean and very spacious. The staff is very friendly. But one staff in particular will go above and beyond to make your stay at the hotel feel like home rather than a hotel. His name is Matt. He works at the front desk and he makes sure all your problems get solved in most expedient manner possible. Matt will even look up what time the local Starbucks opens; this was great because my co-workers and I love a cup of coffee at 5:00 AM in the morning. It is the little things such telling some of the best places to eat in town or general directions to local points of interest that made my stay and my co-workers stay at this hotel pleasant and hassle free. My two month stay at this hotel was very pleasant because of the professionalism of the hotel staff at the SpringHill Suites in San Diego.

Room Tip: Ask for the fourth floor. 1. Less noise so better night sleep. Lots of teams stay here at the hotel...
Green Features: This hotel does recycle and is very environmentally friendly.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for sharing a review on Trip Advisor. I have passed along your wonderful feedback to the staff and they could not be happier to know that their hard work was recognized. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us.

Santa Maria, California
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Our soccer team stayed at this hotel and it is beautiful, has huge rooms, breakfast and friendly staff. The lobby is nice and there's plenty of room to gather. Rooms are spacious, clean, and nicely decorated. Breakfast was great and the staff accomodated us by having breakfast out early one morning. Would reccomend to anyone!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for the review! Our team is committed to making our guests' stay both enjoyable and comfortable. We value your feedback, and are grateful for the recognition you placed on our breakfast and quality accommodations. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us.

Warm regards,
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I just returned from a 2-night stay at this hotel. My family had 2 rooms for our trip to take 2 young girls to the San Diego Zoo. First of all, the 8-year old was absolutely fascinated by the mini kitchen in the room (mini fridge, microwave, coffee pot and sink.) That may have been the highlight of her vacation. The room was also stocked with a few paper plates and plastic ware. There is a Von's grocery store down the street, so it was very easy to get frozen dinners and snacks to take to the room.

The room is quite spacious, with a separate desk area in the alcove with the kitchenette, large couch, 2 queen beds in our room, and 2 large TVs. There was plenty of room to keep the kids from getting antsy.We were only here 2 nights, but the room was kept very clean and we noticed that all of the staff were very friendly.

The breakfast in the morning was terrific! We mastered the waffle maker, and also enjoyed scrambled eggs and sausage in addition to the standard toast, bagels, muffins and cereal.

To our surprise and delight, after returning from a long day at the zoo, we discovered that the pool is heated! The kids were able to work off the last of their pent up energy by getting in the pool and swimming around. There are beach towels at the pool for your use, so you don't have to take the towels from the room. By the time the girls were done at the pool, their mom had their dinners ready and there were no arguments about getting ready for bed.

This hotel is very conveniently located right off of the interstate. There is a Chili's and a Wendy's right in the parking lot. With the grocery store just up the street, we could not have asked for a better location.

I would definitely stay here again!

1 Thank slhenry
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of on Trip Advisor. I appreciate you sharing your positive experiences with us. It is nice to hear that you found the property and the staff to meet your needs during your stay. We hope you come back and visit.