“Fantastic for Families”

Ranked #129 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“Fantastic for Families”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed with our extended family over Thanksgiving and loved this hotel. The breakfast buffet made it easy to get out in the morning and start sightseeing. Tons for our kids to do at the hotel between the dart board, pool table, swimming pool, jacuzzi, basketball court. They even had movie night and a dance party night for the kids. The best part was the free beer and wine most nights. It was great to come down to the lobby and hang out with other people. The bartender Al was fantastic. He gave us lots of tips on good local places to go. Yes, you have to drive everywhere, but all the highlights are within a couple minutes drive (Zoo, Old Town, Balboa Park, Gas Lamp District). I would highly recommend this hotel for families.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
I would like to thank you for such a nice review. I’m so glad you and your family had such a great stay here. We work so hard, to make every guests stay here an enjoyable one.
I will be proudly showing my staff that all the hard work they do makes a difference.
We hope to see you and your family the next time you visit San Diego.

Todd Capizzo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed December 1, 2013

During my stay at Marriott’s San Diego Residence Inn my room was illegally entered and I was robbed of approximately more than seven hundred dollars worth of personal items. The hotel claim that their records show no entry into our room during the time of the illegal entry, which can only one of two things: The hotel’s security apparatus is unconditionally flawed and/or, the hotel’s management is lying. In addition, the hotel’s management implied that I was lying and attempting to commit a fraud. This insult was thus compounded by the management’s refusal to:
Assist as intermediary with the police.
Admit any liability.
Offer any pertinent information whatsoever.
Offer any assistance whatsoever.
Offer any apology whatsoever.
Offer any sympathy whatsoever.
Therefore as a “guest” at their establishment I have suffered:
1. Illegal trespass.
2. Theft of my property.
3. Grievous insult by their management.
It is my considered conclusion the San Diego Marriott Residence Inn is managed by lying incompetents and maintains a den of thieves. As a result of this thoroughly disagreeable experience, I have, therefore, cancelled my Marriott’s Rewards account, and will never again, except under extreme condition, stay at another Marriott establishment.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DAO426
San Gabriel, California
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I have never written a review for anything before, but I feel I must do so this time to help others make an informed choice. Our room was, I believe, flea-infested. This hotel welcomes pets in the lower floors and we were on the second floor. My four-year-old has over 40 bites over her body in rows and patches. Both my husband and I have over 30 bites. Overall, I feel the cleanliness of the hotel is lacking. We found a spider crawling on my nine-month-old son at breakfast. I believe it came from the jacket we had just put on him to walk him down from the room. The jacket had been on a couch in the room. I also saw spider webs in the hallway on my way to the guest laundry facilities. Basically, due to this problem, the last two days of our three-day vacation was completely stressful. We spent one afternoon looking for a pediatrician to take my daughter to and finally going to urgent care. Then, we spent the early evening moving to a different room. We didn't eat dinner until 9 P.M. We cut our vacation short as well because we knew we had to come home to wash everything. My greatest worry had been about bringing the fleas home with me. Overall, this was the most distressing vacation I've ever taken. The only reason I'm willing to give it a 2 instead of 1 is because the staff really did try to help us. I think they did try their best to do right by us, but I really would have preferred to have avoided the entire stay. Very scared to stay here again.

2 Thank D C
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you had to experience this during your stay. I have met with the TEAM and shared your comments with them. We have added a few new procedures that will ensure this type of incident will not occur again.

Afton, Wyoming
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We had a room with 2 rooms. In one was a king & in the other was a bunk beds for the kids (with their own t.v). The sitting area w/kitchen was awesome too and also offered a pull out bed! We enjoyed the pool, the great breakfast, the amazing food/beverage offered in the evening (wow - I was so impressed with all they offered). The staff (Robert) upon check in was so kind and was very informative regarding all the amenities offered at the hotel. It was a great location and we liked the parking "gate" - felt more secure. My only complaint (but it is with every hotel that does this) was the daily parking charge. I just don't get that at all. Overall - great stay and great hotel. Thanks - it was the perfect start to our vacation!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
We hope to see you and your family the next time you visit San Diego.

Maryland
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Upon arrival, I was given a first floor room. As a Marriott Rewards Member, my profile is specific in that I want a high floor room (mostly for quiet), but NEVER a first floor room for safety reasons. The girl at the desk could not help me, so I asked for the manager. Jeri, the manager on duty was extremely helpful and was able to give me a room as I requested. Thank you Jeri for accommodating me and being very friendly.

Regarding the hotel itself ... it is a busy place! Being on the 4th floor, corner room, I did not see many people in the halls. However, there was always a crowd at breakfast and in the evenings during the free food/beverage. Parking was hard to come by as well. The room was clean even though one day I did not get my room serviced.

The breakfast was good and offered healthier options including cut fruit, turkey sausage, and egg beaters. The ice tea was horrible and when I mentioned it to the staff, it was never changed. The coffee was good (some sort of Hawaiian blend).

The lobby coffee station offered tea bags but no hot water so I had to ask every time I wanted to make a hot tea. I was told it was because kids run around in the lobby and it is dangerous to have hot water. What? I guess "hot coffee" will not hurt kids while they are running in the lobby. LOL? Weird explanation in my opinion. And why do you have a problem with kids running in the lobby.

Hotel is in a great central location. If you know your way around San Diego you can get anywhere from this hotel without getting on the freeways. Close to shopping and tons of restaurants in Mission Valley and Fashion Valley. Close to Old Town. Close to Balboa Park.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
I’m glad Jeri could help you with your accommodations. Jeri wanted to say thank you for the nice complement. We always appreciate the good complements and we evaluate your request for improvements. Thank you for taking your time to write us this review.

San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed November 6, 2013

It's a wonderful location, really close to beaches, downtown, the bay, and most attractions in San Diego. But there's almost nothing in walking distance, just 1 low end diner. The hotel is nice, a typical Residence, except that the hallways between rooms are inside buildings, so that's surprising, especially for an outdoor friendly city. The staff is mostly friendly and helpful, except the maintenance guys, who usually get the job done but are pretty short with people. As usual, there's a complimentary breakfast with many items including make your own waffles.

What sets this Residence above the rest though is that it has a bar, and it's an open bar. It's only open 6 to 7:30 Mon to Thurs, but in football season it is also open Sunday evenings, and opens early for Monday and Thursday night games. The bartender Albert is excellent at the social and beer and wine supplying aspects of the bar tending arts.

Room Tip: 4th floor has no noise of people walking above you.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us your review. I’m glad that your over all stay was good but we want you to have a great stay. I will take your comments to our next meeting and see what we can do to improve it. We hope you will come back and see if we have made your stay here a better experience. Hope to see you soon.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The hotel was great! It was a great location for MCRD graduation. The staff was wonderful the beds so comfortable, the entire area could not have been cleaner. The night time receptions and food was good and the pool area so relaxing. The proximity to everything was excellent. Even went to Disneyland which was just a short hour and 1/2 drive. I will stay here again for sure.

1 Thank texasmansfield
First we would like to congratulate you on your new Marine. We are so proud of all the military branches for what they do for us. As the general manager here at the Marriott Residence Inn Mission Valley, I’m very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. It’s important for us as a staff, that what we are trying to achieve here is working. Thank you for taking a moment and writing us such a great review and we hope to see you and your family back here again.