“Pretty good all around”

Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
Ranked #136 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 6, 2013

It's a wonderful location, really close to beaches, downtown, the bay, and most attractions in San Diego. But there's almost nothing in walking distance, just 1 low end diner. The hotel is nice, a typical Residence, except that the hallways between rooms are inside buildings, so that's surprising, especially for an outdoor friendly city. The staff is mostly friendly and helpful, except the maintenance guys, who usually get the job done but are pretty short with people. As usual, there's a complimentary breakfast with many items including make your own waffles.

What sets this Residence above the rest though is that it has a bar, and it's an open bar. It's only open 6 to 7:30 Mon to Thurs, but in football season it is also open Sunday evenings, and opens early for Monday and Thursday night games. The bartender Albert is excellent at the social and beer and wine supplying aspects of the bar tending arts.

Room Tip: 4th floor has no noise of people walking above you.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us your review. I’m glad that your over all stay was good but we want you to have a great stay. I will take your comments to our next meeting and see what we can do to improve it. We hope you will come back and see if we have made your stay here a better experience. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

The hotel was great! It was a great location for MCRD graduation. The staff was wonderful the beds so comfortable, the entire area could not have been cleaner. The night time receptions and food was good and the pool area so relaxing. The proximity to everything was excellent. Even went to Disneyland which was just a short hour and 1/2 drive. I will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank texasmansfield

First we would like to congratulate you on your new Marine. We are so proud of all the military branches for what they do for us. As the general manager here at the Marriott Residence Inn Mission Valley, I’m very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. It’s important for us as a staff, that what we are trying to achieve here is working. Thank you for taking a moment and writing us such a great review and we hope to see you and your family back here again.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

My partner and I booked a last-minute trip to San Diego due to a death in the family, and because we were staying for a week, we wanted something more than just a regular hotel room. Since the rate was almost the same as other hotels in the area, we decided to give Residence Inn a try and take advantage of amenities like the kitchen in our room, the separate bedroom arrangement, and free breakfast, dinner, and happy hour. We were so happy we did! The hotel was well-maintained, our room was always well-stocked and cleaned in a timely manner, and it was so conveniently located. In a time full of stress and worry, it was good to come back to a place that provided calm and comfort.

There were a good number of families with small kids so the thin walls and floors didn't do much to mask loud voices and small feet running around above us, but fortunately these weren't constant. I'm sure it's a little more bothersome during the summertime when the hotel is more full, so keep that in mind.

The staff was excellent -- better than some "luxury" properties I've stayed at. Whether it's just answering a simple question, ringing me up for purchases at their store, or helping me with a future reservation, they were friendly and made me feel at home. Bryan, a front desk manager, was awesome: from the first contact when he helped me book my room on the phone to checking us in to various times throughout our stay, he went above and beyond. He made us feel valued and welcome, and you can't ask much more than that.

1  Thank cja2k1
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

My staff and I are very sorry for your lost. I would like to thank you very much for saying such nice things about my staff and hotel. It makes me grateful to know that my staffs dose whatever it takes to make a guest stay here enjoyable for what ever reason they are here for. I hope the next time you and your partner are here in San Diego; your here for more of an enjoyable time and stay with us again.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights with our 10 month old son this past weekend. I chose this hotel because of its close proximity to the zoo, since we would be spending the day there. I called ahead of time to let them we would be needing a pack n play for our son, and they said it wouldn't be a problem. We checked in with Bryan who was super friendly and helpful. When we got to our room, we checked to see if the pack n play was there and noticed it wasn't. We called guest services and housekeeping brought one up in within 5 minutes. Staying here worked out perfect for our situation because we were able to bring take out (Phil's BBQ) to the hotel to eat for dinner since we weren't sure if our baby was up for going out and when he went to bed, we kept him in the living room and we were able to watch tv and get ready for bed in the bedroom with the door shut . The breakfast is good for a complementary hotel breakfast, it gets really busy on Saturday mornings. We would hesitate staying there again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gracieblu80

First I would like to say thank you. I know how hard it is to just to find spare time with a new child. So, this is very comforting that you would take time to write us such a great review. I’m happy that my staff was able to make your stay here so enjoyable and that the room was perfect. I hope we get to see you and your family the next time you’re here in San Diego.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Pros:
- Staff was VERY friendly, helpful and accommodating.
- Nice clean rooms, with kitchenette,
- Everything was in working order
- Good breakfast selections in the morning
- Fresh exterior paint
- Great for a family. There were a lot of families at this hotel
- Proximity to everything that we interested in visiting (Zoo, Sea World).
Cons:
- $13 parking fee. This seems common for hotels in the San Diego. I was caught off guard when checking into the hotel, but after looking closer at the website, it is openly disclosed. My fault for not looking closer.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

What a nice review. I’m so glad that we hit all the major points that make guest keep coming back. Thank you and hope to see you next time you’re in town.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

This hotel was in a fantastic location, everything we wanted to do was located only a few miles away. The breakfast was great, plenty of options and the staff kept everything stocked. The light evening meals M-Th were also really good for being free. The front desk staff was fantastic. We got to the hotel around noon, were told there would be a slight wait while the rooms were being cleaned. As we were about to walk out to go kill some time, a room became available. We got to the room and it was clean and exactly as expected. We did notice that our air conditioner wasn't working, by the time we realized this it was pretty late. They ended up replacing the unit that night, but we got to bed later than we would have liked to. The engineering staff was very polite and made sure the unit was working before they left. Our room was unfortunately right at the front of the hotel on the first floor, so we smelled smoke a lot. We were also right under the stairs and it sounded like elephants were coming through our room every time people went up and down the stairs. With all that said, I would stay here again, but would make sure we got a different room.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room away from the front of the building so that you don't smell smoke at nig...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

I would like to start by thanking you for this review. I would like to apologize for your air condition problem when you checked in. I’m glad my engineer was able to fix the issue right away so your family could have a pleasant night sleep. Our location and personal staff has been a big part of our success and why we have guests keep coming back. We hope to see you and your family back the next time your in San Diego. Thanks again

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We were here for a week stay due to home renovation. Checked in by Bryan Montalto and Laurel Ingel Sales Director. also Helpful thoughtout my stay ran into Bryan always helpful and welcoming. Carlos Fernandez was also helpful and curteous. Houskeeper Claudia Alvarez was super great with my two cats whom were less than pleased with the temporary relocation. The whole staff was accomodating, the meals provided were great but don't make it your only option, Albert and the evening social (Which was Complementary) was amazing try the Mission Blonde Ale (a local brew). Thank you once again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

I am extremely happy to hear how well each one of my staff members made your stay here outstanding. I will personally tell my staff your kind words at our next meeting. I’m extremely proud of my staff and thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. It means a lot to us.