“AWESOME People/Staff, Weird Property Design & Odd Rooms”

Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
Ranked #135 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This is a challenging review, as the people working for this hotel are INCREDIBLE - very helpful, courteous, and really work to make things happen (like balloons and cake in the suite before we return). The design of this property is one of the oddest of any Residence Inn I've ever stayed at. It is four separate buildings around a central pool. You cannot get from one to the other without going outside - either out to the parking lot or through the pool area. Some doors and stairways lead to the 1st floor, others to the 2nd floor- and the same goes for the elevators in each building. Laundry room was a haul through the pool area OR a long walk around three buildings via the parking lot and then into one of the stairways and then if you get it wrong- over to another elevator to finally get to the first floor. The parking space are SO SMALL, that any mini-van or full size car cannot park easily in any of these spots. AND, its another $13 a day to park here (which is nowhere near downtown, so its an unnecessary fee on top of $250/night rooms). The carpet outside our 2-BR, 3 bed suite smelled like a tire fire. The rooms lack adequate and appropriate lighting in many spots. Either way too bright over there, or a real dark zone over here. The light switches are beyond odd in that they are not near where you'd expect a switch to be and sometimes it turns on a light that also has a switch on it way far away. The bathrooms are very small and the sink area outside the bathroom is also underwhelming for a Residence Inn. The kitchen lacks a fan, so any other room doing cooking will be in your room, as the vents are in the bathrooms and suck all the air from the hallways into the bathroom. The walls are thin. I lay in bed and heard snoring on three sides of me. We heard our downstairs neighbors conversations in the loving room as well as their TVs. For a non-smoking hotel there was a lot of pot smoke coming in (all that glaucoma going around these days). The food was mediocre-especially for a Residence Inn. It was only OK. The wine at the evening social was undrinkable, but it was fermented grape. YET, the people are wonderful and very nice to guests and each other and everyone is genuinely happy to be there and it shows. THAT says a lot. It's a mixed bag.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review after your stay here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley. My Staff and I take much pride in making your stay here as pleasant and enjoyable as possible. I must agree that my staff is doing a great job, and I’m looking forward to sharing your nice comments with them at our next meeting. I will be also following up with your issues with my maintenance crew and see what we can do to make our guest stay even better next time. I thank you again for your informative comments and I hope you give us another try in the future.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley

Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel has a few minor issues, but they are small. The hallways are extremely outdated to the point that they are depressing. Housekeeping does not service the rooms of the people staying another night until late in the afternoon which didn't work with our schedule. We ended up getting service once during our five night stay, despite spending most of our time away from the hotel. The breakfast is decent, but crowded. There was usually a line, and we stayed during off-peak. The pool area is neither nice or awful; however, it's not a place you would make your lady feel special.
The rooms and beds were comfortable. The bathroom was clean. We lost power during our stay for about an hour despite the lack of any inclement weather. The surround area is not the high end district by a long shot either.
The staff was friendly, and the service was fantastic. I was going to rate this place a 3, but altered it to a four when I reflected on the service. Nice place for a large family.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Hello and thank you for your insight on our hotel. We do have a great location for all the tourist spots. We are only 10 to 20 min away from most locations. I’m glad you enjoy your over all experience with us. I always like to see how we can make changes or to improve the overall experience of our guests. I will meet with my staff and talk about the things we as a team need to approve on and tell them the great things they have accomplished. Come stay with us again and we want you to see the improvements and quality service we work so hard for. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed 2 nights 9/6 & 9/7 recently. Nice staff. Room was small but good enough for one person. There was hair on the bathroom floor though!

Sufficient A/C but it was loud. TV channel selection was limited. Breakfast was good with a good variety of food. Will stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley. My sincerest apologies for the hair found on your floor! I will inform my housekeeping staff, and do my utmost to ensure that it does not happen again. I am happy that your experience withus was otherwise pleasant, and we do hope you join us again in the future.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

From the moment we arrived the staff here was wonderful! We arrived around 8 in the morning and they were able to get us checked in right away! The room we has initially booked was a little smaller then we had anticipated so they were able to get us in to a bigger room right away! The staff gave great recommendations on some nice places to eat/visit. Everyone from the girl at the front desk to girl in the accounting department were helpful. The breakfast was pretty good and they even has social hours with free drinks and dinner! The next time I go to San Diego I will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

I am so happy that your recent experience with us here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley earned you loyalty and enthusiasm! I must agree that my staff is wonderful, and I am eager to share your comments with them at our next meeting. The front desk staff work tirelessly trying to ensure that every guest is more than just ‘satisfied’ with their stay, and I am always happy to share with them when they hit the mark! I look forward to the opportunity to accommodate you again!

Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

The service at this hotel was excellent ! Every person we dealt with at the front desk was incredibly nice and helpful. The location was great and very convenient as a home base to see all the sights of SD. The rooms were spacious and perfect for our family of 5. The complimentary breakfast was a great plus with many hearty options to choose from. I would highly recommend this hotel for families!!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank BHTravelbug

I am so happy that you enjoyed your time here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley! I will share your comments with my staff and I do so appreciate you taking the time to review my hotel here on Trip Advisor. I thank you for your business and hope that we get the opportunity to accommodate you and your family again in the future. Well wishes until then.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed at other hotels in the Hotel Circle area but this has to be one of the most comfortable and friendly hotels there. The moment I checked in I was greeted by Carlos Fernandez who made the check in process very easy and stress free, he made the start of my stay very enjoyable. The room was very comfortable and well laid out. I stayed in a double queen room, the living area was very spacious. The evening reception was good, there was plenty of food and drinks. The breakfast was very good as well, I especially liked the different options available that caters to everyone's tastes. My room was located on the fourth floor near the elevator but I didn't hear much noise like at other hotels. The location of the hotel is excellent since it is right next to multiple freeways and restaurants so getting around is very easy. I will most definitely stay here again and highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying for an extended time in San Diego.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room toward the back which had more parking and less noise
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aries808

Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel, the Residence Inn Mission Valley on Trip Advisor. I am so glad that you were so pleased with your experience, and I we thank you for the pleasure of being able to serve you. Do visit us again the next time you are in San Diego. Well wishes for the upcoming fall season.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at this Residence Inn over the Labor Day weekend. The hotel was pretty booked but we had no hassles checking in, we even arrived pretty late/early morning, and our room was ready and very comfortable. We had booked the smaller 2 bedroom 1 bath suite and found it very roomy. The sofa bed was missing bed linens and we could not find any stored in the room, so we had to grab a sheet and blanket off the other beds in the room and that worked fine for us, I'm sure we could have called down but we were ok with making it work.

The breakfast buffet the hotel offers was great! Lots of different hot and cold selections to choose from, and it changed every morning. All the food was always HOT and refilled constantly. It was very busy but we had no problem getting the food we wanted and finding seating.

My only complaint, well not really a complaint but just a be advised, the hotel has plenty of parking however the spaces are extreme small and cramped. So I suggest if driving/renting a car the smaller the better, as people are inconsiderate and will park over the lines as to protect their own vehicles and take the space needed from someone else. Especially on a fully booked busy weekend.

Other than that, I would definetly stay here again!

1  Thank danzr79

The Residence Inn Mission Valley is the preferred choice for families staying in San Diego, and I appreciate hearing that from guests that have stayed with us just why that is. Every room is a suite, and breakfast is robust. We absolutely do our best to accommodate the needs and preferences of every guest, family or group, including the possibility of an early check in. Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel here on Trip Advisor, and I am so very glad you enjoyed your stay. Next time you visit, park towards the back (or center) of the lot. Parking spaces towards the back (or center) of the parking lot are slightly larger in size.