“A good deal in a great location”

Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
Ranked #129 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Utah
“A good deal in a great location”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hotel is trying but it's older and needs an update.

Lobby:
Accomodating and able to fill it's purpose. Hard to get to from the bulk of the hotel.

Parking:
$13/day fee but the charge seems to be on whether or not your room card is used to access the parking lot (gated entry). Spaces are INCREDIBLY tight, watch for door dings or find a spot next to a curb (or park on a space line). Parking was not good but we at least were always able to be near a hotel door.

Room:
Good size living room, the room was open in the middle with no wall separating the kitchen from sitting area, which gave our family more room to spread out.

We had a two queen room, very narrow room with the beds nearly touching the footboard wall. Mattresses were very poor and sagging, we slept horribly on them. The sofa bed mattress was poor as well.

AC worked well in the room and kept a nice temp.

TV programming was good and HD

Bathroom:
Was really worn but mostly clean. Only problems were the corners of the tub, floor.

Breakfast buffet:
Crowded. Good selection of food, service definitely fell off Sunday morning. Less crowded but still busy at 7:30am, a complete madhouse at 8:45. The hours should be extended, breakfast ends at 9am.

Location:
Amazing. Close to all freeways, Seaworld is just minutes away, the Harbor, Little Italy, Old Town, all are very close and easily accessed.

I'd probably stay here again as the service was good, the price was fair, and the location was great but it really could use updating. It just seemed like an old motel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel, the Residence Inn Mission Valley, here on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear that you found the mattresses and sofa bed uncomfortable, but am glad that your overall experience was favorable enough to return. I absolutely appreciate your insight into how we can make your next stay even better.

Todd Capizzo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
Redlands, California
Reviewed August 15, 2013

After careful consideration, reading many reviews and price shopping I finally chose The Residence Inn, mission Valley for our family to stay at during our SD vacation.

WE have 3 kids traveling with us 4,6 and 14..so we needed the 2 bedroom and the 2 bathroom was a bonus!!
The morning breakfast and m-thurs dinner and happy hour that was included with the price of the room made the high dollar price worth it!
What I did like:
again the 2 bedroom and 2 bath unit..life saver if you have a large family.
The included meals and happy hour. Think that saved at least 100 bucks a day in what we would have spent in food, drinks for the family for 2 meals/drinks.
the location being local to so many different areas.
The pool for the kids, the fact they really have everything here to make your stay comfortable.laundry, gym, free coffee in the lobby etc.

what was not so hot:
parking is 13.00 a day plus the spots are so small.
the room, while great in there are 2 bed rooms and baths and full kitchen..its worn.. things were dirty, furniture was falling apart and rooms and space cramped. The beds are NOT Marriott quality.. hard not cushy or luxurious.
Look this place is PACKED.. things get a lot of use.. I think they do a fairly good job keeping up on the rooms.. could be cleaner but all in all ok

The GM was a visiting GM . He was wonderful, The whole staff there is above and beyond in kindness. The general areas are clean and kept up.
The lines for food are crazy..its a zoo..food is ok.. again such a great deal for a family.

ok, bottom line would I ever stay here without the kids...?? HELL NO!~ It is not a resort.. it is not luxurious but a total win for family vacations.
we will come back if we have the kids!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience during your stay with us here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley. I appreciate your thorough evaluation, and am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay! I am also going to share your insight and complements with my staff. It sounds like you were able to partake in the festivities and take full advantage of the amenities we offer on property. Naturally San Diego welcomes more travelers during summer than any other season, which unfortunately makes standing in line a good possibility anywhere in the city. I thank you again for your time, and your business. We hope to accommodate you and your family again in the future.

Los Angeles
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was a quick trip to connect with family in San Diego. The property is clean and well maintained. The rooms are spacious enough for a family and include a full kitchen. Although the complementary breakfast line was incredibly long and slow, we had plenty of choices in which to choose from. Something for everyone. The evening social was amazing! From the quesadillas to the homemade tasting salsa to the wide selection of beer and wine. We were headed out to dinner, but ended up sitting in the lobby with a glass of wine, beer and appetizers. The manager on duty made his way around to check in with guests during breakfast and the evening social hour. Great stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley. The salsa you enjoyed was in fact made from scratch, and I cannot tell you how eager I am to share your complements with my staff. My kitchen staff loves when a favorite of theirs is enjoyed by our guests! We look forward to the opportunity to accommodate you again.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Still in hotel as I write. This is the second time we have stayed in this hotel and I think it is time to move on.
Positives: good location by mall and restaurants, front desk service is good.
Negatives: room is not very clean and is definitely showing its wear. Breakfast buffet had options, but food / eggs were cold - reminds me of Circus Circus in Las Vegas 25 years ago. Had to call for more towels and no bar soap or dishwasher detergent left behind after cleaning. Asked for a quite location, but room is on interstate, lucky for us the air is blowing all night so it muffles sound.
Overall, very popular with families and very busy. We have arrived from a comparable hotel in Phoenix and this one did not nearly match up. Also, what's with the parking fee?

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the back end away from interstate 8
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for reviewing my hotel here on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry that you didn’t get all of the items you needed during your stay in a timely manner. I know that if you didn’t receive towels-twice- you may have just been lucky enough to stay with us during our washing machine installation. Your comments are valued, as is your business, and I do hope you visit us during the upcoming fall and winter seasons.

Orange County, California
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I got a room on the first floor with a view of the wall, but that's because the hotel is fully booked. Friendly reception clerk gave me a coupon for a free item in the food store for being a card member. The room was OK with the bedroom having a separate door from living room, although it hit the bed when you try to close it. Also, the walkway is cramped by the dresser and TV in front of the bed. The A/C vent hit directly on my face when in bed, so I had to cover my head with the sheets. Food was the usual, except that I noticed that the bacon served looked like plastic. I think it is an imitation bacon and felt like rubber. The best part is they serve food for nightly socials, and the variety of beer makes you think it is a brewery. There were lots of kids, as it is vacation time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for writing a review about my hotel, the Residence Inn Mission Valley. Let me first say I am sorry to hear that you felt your room it was not spacious enough. All of our rooms on property are suites, and they are 50% larger than rooms and suites at other Marriott properties. I must also apologize that you experienced discomfort during your sleep, and should you stay again, please inquire with the front desk on how to operate your room’s individual thermostat. I am happy to hear you liked the variety of beer offered during our complementary receptions. Our morning breakfast offers so many choices, and I wanted the receptions to be comparable. Again, I thank you for taking the time to write. I will share your comments with my staff.

Finland
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed three nights at Residence Inn. We liked the location for shopping and downtown San Diego. We had two bedroom suite and there was space enough for our two teenagers. Our room was clean, but we got only three towels for four people two times. People at hotel were friendly and we got good service (and towels when we asked for them). What we did not like was the location of bathroom. It was through the master bedroom and it got really growded in the morning when all four of us were there. I had bad luck with bathroom door. It got stuck in the middle of the night. My wife had fun when i had to run all the way down to lobby for bathroom. I believe there is a lot of updating at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley.

Fortunatelly we had planned our vacation in San Diego very active. So we did not spend much time at the hotel. I did not like the steel barrier around pool - it is not relaxing area for me. Social nights with free food seemed to very popular and a good idea to attract families. Too bad lines were long and food run out. Free breakfast is also very nice, but if you come late, selection is very limited. I would not like to wake up early in the morning to rush for breakfast that ends 9 am?

Room Tip: Wake up early for breakfast!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review of my hotel on Trip Advisor. I am glad that there were elements of Residence Inn Mission Valley that you enjoyed, and I am happy to hear that your room to be clean and spacious. That being said, I am so very sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied. Amenities should always be replenished at the time of service, and I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced as a result of not getting your fourth set of towels. I do hope that you give the Residence Inn Mission Valley another chance in the future..

San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is our second time staying at this hotel. Our group was in town for the annual Comic Con convention. We had a group of 8 in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suite. Very spacious and clean which I greatly appreciated. There are a lot of families that stay here so there is some noise around the hotel, but that did not bother is whatsoever. They have good amenities (swimming pool, basketball court and game room). Their free breakfast, light dinners and cocktail hours are also very generous.

The reason I am giving this hotel 5 stars is because of their customer service. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Front desk staff answered all our questions and directed us for dinner several nights. The kitchen staff even went out of their way to prepare a vegetarian option for someone in our group. We called housekeeping several times for extra towels and toiletries...each time they delivered within minutes. We could not have asked for more.

Will be booking here again for next years trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your taking the time to review us after your recent stay! I couldn't be more pleased to hear that we have earned your repeated business, and I can't wait to read your comments to my staff. They thrive on customer satisfaction, and there is no greater complement to an establishment than to give it your repeat business.
On behalf of all of us here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley, thank you for your loyalty. We look forward to your next stay!