“Rooms starting to show wear”

Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
Ranked #120 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Calgary, Canada
“Rooms starting to show wear”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Still in hotel as I write. This is the second time we have stayed in this hotel and I think it is time to move on.
Positives: good location by mall and restaurants, front desk service is good.
Negatives: room is not very clean and is definitely showing its wear. Breakfast buffet had options, but food / eggs were cold - reminds me of Circus Circus in Las Vegas 25 years ago. Had to call for more towels and no bar soap or dishwasher detergent left behind after cleaning. Asked for a quite location, but room is on interstate, lucky for us the air is blowing all night so it muffles sound.
Overall, very popular with families and very busy. We have arrived from a comparable hotel in Phoenix and this one did not nearly match up. Also, what's with the parking fee?

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the back end away from interstate 8
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hello and thank you for reviewing my hotel here on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry that you didn’t get all of the items you needed during your stay in a timely manner. I know that if you didn’t receive towels-twice- you may have just been lucky enough to stay with us during our washing machine installation. Your comments are valued, as is your business, and I do hope you visit us during the upcoming fall and winter seasons.

Todd Capizzo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Korean first
Orange County, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

I got a room on the first floor with a view of the wall, but that's because the hotel is fully booked. Friendly reception clerk gave me a coupon for a free item in the food store for being a card member. The room was OK with the bedroom having a separate door from living room, although it hit the bed when you try to close it. Also, the walkway is cramped by the dresser and TV in front of the bed. The A/C vent hit directly on my face when in bed, so I had to cover my head with the sheets. Food was the usual, except that I noticed that the bacon served looked like plastic. I think it is an imitation bacon and felt like rubber. The best part is they serve food for nightly socials, and the variety of beer makes you think it is a brewery. There were lots of kids, as it is vacation time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for writing a review about my hotel, the Residence Inn Mission Valley. Let me first say I am sorry to hear that you felt your room it was not spacious enough. All of our rooms on property are suites, and they are 50% larger than rooms and suites at other Marriott properties. I must also apologize that you experienced discomfort during your sleep, and should you stay again, please inquire with the front desk on how to operate your room’s individual thermostat. I am happy to hear you liked the variety of beer offered during our complementary receptions. Our morning breakfast offers so many choices, and I wanted the receptions to be comparable. Again, I thank you for taking the time to write. I will share your comments with my staff.

Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed three nights at Residence Inn. We liked the location for shopping and downtown San Diego. We had two bedroom suite and there was space enough for our two teenagers. Our room was clean, but we got only three towels for four people two times. People at hotel were friendly and we got good service (and towels when we asked for them). What we did not like was the location of bathroom. It was through the master bedroom and it got really growded in the morning when all four of us were there. I had bad luck with bathroom door. It got stuck in the middle of the night. My wife had fun when i had to run all the way down to lobby for bathroom. I believe there is a lot of updating at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley.

Fortunatelly we had planned our vacation in San Diego very active. So we did not spend much time at the hotel. I did not like the steel barrier around pool - it is not relaxing area for me. Social nights with free food seemed to very popular and a good idea to attract families. Too bad lines were long and food run out. Free breakfast is also very nice, but if you come late, selection is very limited. I would not like to wake up early in the morning to rush for breakfast that ends 9 am?

Room Tip: Wake up early for breakfast!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review of my hotel on Trip Advisor. I am glad that there were elements of Residence Inn Mission Valley that you enjoyed, and I am happy to hear that your room to be clean and spacious. That being said, I am so very sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied. Amenities should always be replenished at the time of service, and I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced as a result of not getting your fourth set of towels. I do hope that you give the Residence Inn Mission Valley another chance in the future..

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is our second time staying at this hotel. Our group was in town for the annual Comic Con convention. We had a group of 8 in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suite. Very spacious and clean which I greatly appreciated. There are a lot of families that stay here so there is some noise around the hotel, but that did not bother is whatsoever. They have good amenities (swimming pool, basketball court and game room). Their free breakfast, light dinners and cocktail hours are also very generous.

The reason I am giving this hotel 5 stars is because of their customer service. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Front desk staff answered all our questions and directed us for dinner several nights. The kitchen staff even went out of their way to prepare a vegetarian option for someone in our group. We called housekeeping several times for extra towels and toiletries...each time they delivered within minutes. We could not have asked for more.

Will be booking here again for next years trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your taking the time to review us after your recent stay! I couldn't be more pleased to hear that we have earned your repeated business, and I can't wait to read your comments to my staff. They thrive on customer satisfaction, and there is no greater complement to an establishment than to give it your repeat business.
On behalf of all of us here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley, thank you for your loyalty. We look forward to your next stay!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

From the moment we entered the staff were helpful and friendly, the rooms were clean and it was great to have a separate room with bunks for the kids. Master bed was so comfy. Well equipped kitchenette and each room had their own TV! Very convenient location for all San Diego sights assuming you are driving as we had a car and so it was easy to get around. Complimentary breakfast included. If I had to name one negative then it would be the fact you have to pay for parking at 13 USD a night. Only wish we had been able to stay longer but needed to move on. Overall very friendly and clean property. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Assume all rooms same as its designed as a long stay property. But if traveling with kids then just...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello, and thank you for writing a response about your recent stay here the Residence Inn Mission Valley. I am so pleased that you found our rooms to be spacious, clean and comfortable. Being an extended stay hotel, we do our best to deliver convenience, comfort, and warm hospitality.
Again, I thank you for taking the time to share your experience of my hotel on Trip Advisor, and I hope we have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future. Until then, happy travels.

Residence Inn Mission Valley
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel is located a short drive away from Mission Beach, SeaWorld, and Balboa Park. We were there over the July 4th weekend so there were a lot of people in the hotel. We returned around 10pm each night and there were usually only a couple of parking spaces left in the lot. The customer service at this hotel was excellent, which is what I typically have found at any Residence Inn I have stayed at. The free buffet breakfast was good, but don't wait until the last minute to eat...the line gets very long.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review my property here on Trip Advisor. I am glad that our central location was convenient during your vacation, and that you found my staff to be friendly and helpful. Summer tends to be busy here in San Diego, and I apologize if you felt it was too crowded. I truly hope you enjoyed San Diego, and that we have the pleasure of accommodating you and your family again in the future.

N.Franklin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel was excellent. It offered a free dinner along with free breakfast. It was a full breakfast with everything you can think of. The room was large and comfortable. It was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was very clean. The personnel were very friendly and extremely helpful. Although you had to pay for parking, the excellence of the hotel made it worth it. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know how great your stay was at the Residence Inn Marriott San Diego Mission Valley. We take great pride in making sure our guests have a fabulous experience. I will pass on the great words with our team and we certainly appreciate you staying with us.

Please let me know if there is anything else we can do for you in the future and hope you will choose our hotel on your next visit.

Thank you and hope you have a great day!

Take care,