“Sleeping well in San Diego”

Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
Ranked #121 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
California
“Sleeping well in San Diego”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed here over the 4th of July weekend, so figured it would be a hopping place. And it was, sort of, but in a good way. There were indeed tons of families, and our room overlooked the kiddie pool. But I was delighted to see that the hours for the pool were strictly (but politely) enforced so that I was able to open our windows and then sleep right through the night. The room itself was perfect for our two adult sons and ourselves with two doubles in one room, and a king in the other, with a shared kitchen/living room area. Nice to have the wifi and TVs in every room. There was a fee for parking ($13 per day). Breakfast was adequate and plentiful. We were short drives for all the sights we wanted to see, like the zoo, Old Town, and the USS Midway.

Room Tip: Upper floors are best, away from the lights that ring the pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
We wanted to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your past stay at the Residence Inn Marriott San Diego Mission Valley. We take great pride in making sure all of our guest have a wonderful experience. We are so glad that you and your family had a great night sleep and enjoyed our amenities at our hotel.

We hope that if you are coming back to the San Diego market that you would chose our hotel as your first choice. Please let me know if you need anything else in the future.

Task Force General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
South Jordan, Utah
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family stayed here from July 1 to July 5 and we loved it. The location was great, only 10 minutes from Sea World and the Zoo. The breakfast in the morning was good with plenty of choices, and it was a full breakfast not a continental breakfast. The dinners on Monday to Thursday nights were good as well. We loved our room and it was nice for our family of 6. We had a problem with the TV in the master bedroom on our first night, but maintenance promptly took care of the problem. We had a really good experience at this hotel and look forward to staying here again on our next San Diego vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We want to thank you for taking the time to mention to us on how great your stay was. We understand the importance of a vacation and want to make sure all of our guests have a great stay with their families.

We take great pride in the amenities we have to offer and we are glad you had a chance to enjoy them. I'm also glad you and your family enjoyed the Sea World experience.

We look forward to your next visit to the San Diego area and if you need anything please don't hesitate to contact us.

Philadephia, PA
Reviewed July 8, 2013

First let me say the service was excellent! We had a few bumps to start, but they did everything they could to address it right away and exceeded our expecations. The side door that you needed a key to get in wasn't working. I called down and they fixed immediately. I found some dirt and hair in the drawers. When they called to ask how the room was and I told them, they were upstairs in 10 min to clean it out and someone else stopped by to apologize and gave us complimentary snacks, water and parking to make up for it. My daughter slipped in the tub and I asked for a bathmat. They came very quickly to provide it. The rest of the room was very clean. They offer a nice complimentary breakfast buffet with lots of choices. They have dinner and a happy hour each night as well as a pool. The rates were very good. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We want to thank you for taking the time to let you us know how your stay was with us. We value all the comments of our guests and we make every stride for our guests to enjoy their stay at the Residence Inn Marriott San Diego-Mission Valley.

As we are glad we fixed any issues you may have had we are sorry for the inconvenience and so glad you had an excellent stay at our hotel. We look forward to your next visit and please let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Our staff certainly appreciates the kind words and I will pass them on to our team.

Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed two nights in June with my wife and our 5 and 9 year old. Minutes away from downtown and Seaworld. Off of freeway 8. Nice room with separate eat in kitchen with fridge, microwave, top stove, coffee maker, sofa, TV, desk and free internet. Good breakfast (not just junk) , WSJ and USA today included! Good size outside pool with Jacuzzi. Gym with weights and treadmill. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you very much for your review of the Residence Inn Mission Valley. I am so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay, and enjoyed the amenities we offer. Thank you for also noticing the quality of food we serve during breakfast. Being a father and husband myself, as well as a frequent traveler, I know how few robust and healthy meals a family really gets during their travels. I will pass your complements along to my kitchen staff as well. We hope to see you all again in the future & I hope you all have a safe and happy 4th of July.

Phoenix
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is a nice hotel that was reasonably priced considering it’s summertime in San Diego when prices soar. Our room was typical for a Residence Inn; nice living area with full kitchen and sleeper sofa, and a separate bedroom with bathroom. The room was quiet and spacious enough for 4 adults and 2 children. The property is set back from I-8 so it was quiet and is on a nice hill with a grassy area in front and residential homes behind. We took advantage of the wine/beer reception and dinner the first night which was a nice relaxing way to unwind. The dinner was simple; chicken sandwiches and salad and your selection of soft drinks or other beverages. The breakfast was very good each morning with some subtle differences in menu. The kids enjoyed swimming in the large pool. Even though the hotel was sold out, it didn’t seem overly crowded. The location was convenient to everything we wanted to take in around San Diego, Sea World, Sea Port Village, and Mission Beach. Also, it was not a far drive to La Jolla. The staff was friendly and the property was well-maintained. The only suggestion I would make would be for the breakfast to be offered at the same earlier time on the weekends as it is on the weekdays. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of my hotel here on Trip Advisor. I glad you found my staff, the property itself, and all we offer at our complementary breakfast buffet worthy of praise. I do apologize that you found our public areas to be crowded during breakfast hours. San Diego is a destination location for many travelers and vacationers, particularly during the summer months, and all hotels, restaurants, beaches, and tourist attractions become increasingly busy.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stayed here on business for two nights. This hotel is definitely better for families than it is for business travelers. The hotel was full of families, which is fine, but added a lot of noise for the stay. The walls are thin (older hotel), and I could hear conversations in the hall and in the rooms on either side. They must also allow pets, as I heard a dog barking multiple times across the hall. The room was OK, but definitely showed it's age and wear. The breakfast was typical for a Residence Inn, but not spectacular.
My rating is only because I didn't have the best stay - but I was here to work, and found the atmosphere hard to allow that. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a response of my hotel here on Trip Advisor, and thank you for your input. It is true that we have much available for families on vacation, and statistics show that families vacation/travel most during June and July when children are out of school. I am so sorry that you felt the atmosphere was not conducive to work productivity. We do have many resources that cater to business travelers, such as complementary wireless internet access, onsite parking, an onsite computer as well as print/copy/fax capabilities, a 24 hour market, a complementary manager’s reception that serves complementary beer and wine, and much more. I have faith that if you joined us during less popular tourism months, you may feel differently about the Residence Inn Mission Valley.

Gautier, Mississippi
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The hospitality at the Residence Inn in Mission Valley is unmatched at any hotel I've ever stayed. Continually stay after stay this hotel still amazes me at their ability to take care of the needs of the frequent stayers. This is my 5th trip here to San Diego this year with 4 more scheduled for the remainder of the year. Always look forward to arriving here to the friendly reception of the staff. Keep up the good work.

A couple of team members who stand out: Albert, Beverley, Danielle, Courtney, the morning kitchen staff, the housekeeping dept especially the one who cleans my room daily. As always my room is cleaned and ready when I return for the day.

To all, keep up the good work. I'll keep coming back

Room Tip: If I did my room might not be available when I return
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank joelstiles
Thank you so very much for taking the time to review the Residence Inn Mission Valley, and thank you so very much for your loyalty and business. I cannot wait to share your comments with my staff, as they thrive off customer service. Because we are an extended stay hotel, and accommodate guests repeatedly and for long periods of time, our guests really do become like family. I am so glad that you enjoy staying with us so much. We realize travelers are away from home and their families, and our goal is for you to know that while with us, you can feel at home, and feel like family. From your family here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley, safe travels, and we will see you again soon.