“Average Hotel Stay”

Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
Ranked #137 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed at the Residence Inn Mission Valley for four days around the Memorial Day holiday.

Pros:
-- Centrally located. The hotel was about 10 minutes from Balboa Park/San Diego Zoo, La Jolla, Mission Bay, and Downtown SD. And, even closer to Old Town. (Although, nothing within walking distance.)
-- The price can not be beat, especially among the Marriott chain. We wanted to stay in a suite at a Marriott and this Residence Inn was the best price overall, even with the parking fee.
-- Excellent continental breakfast each morning, included in the price. The breakfast was quite large, as was the seating area. . . . and usually crowded.
-- We never took advantage of the complimentary evening dinner, but it looked delicious, even if very crowded.
-- Nice heated pool and spa, including a small one foot kid pool.
-- With two small children, having the extra room (with a door) was much-appreciated.
-- Complimentary internet worked well, even if you have to "reregister" every 24 hours.

Cons:
-- Cleanliness. Upon arrival at the suite, I found no less than eight hairs not belonging to myself or my family. We found left behind shampoo stuck on the shower. I found peanuts under the living room table; thank goodness my kids don't have allergies and did not find them first. The room was dusty in not-oft-used locations -- the light on the nightstand, the bathroom fixtures, etc. Obviously, this hotel is a bit older -- built in 2003 and hasn't been updated, things get run down after a while or just forgotten. But, the hairs and the peanuts? We asked the front desk to have the room dusted and vacuumed after our first night there, but it didn't seem to make any difference.
Of course, after a few days at the beach, we were grateful for housekeeping to tidy up our sand and the dust/hairs seemed minimal.
-- Upon our arrival, we were told that we were "upgraded" to a room with two queen beds, instead of the king that we had requested. Our kids slept in the other room, so having two queen beds was definitely not an "upgrade" from one king bed. Also, our requested "limited view" was actually the view from the second story of the garbage cans outside of the kitchen. The design of the hotel was definitely lacking in that regard -- why would you put rooms directly in front of the garbage cans?
-- The parking lot is tight, with lots of bigger cars. We parked further from the entrance and arrived before 8 pm each night, so we never had too much of a problem. But, I could see how parking could be a definite negative.
-- NOISE. This was by-far our biggest complaint. There was noise from the garbage cans, obviously. But, the loudest noise was from the neighbors on either side. We could hear people talking, if not the exact words they were saying; although, sometimes, we heard exact words as well. I could even hear the neighbor unrolling his toilet paper. The walls at this hotel were incredibly thin, especially for a top-rated Marriott. Each night, I went to sleep (after 11 pm) to the sound of the neighbors talking -- turning on the white noise app on my phone to drown them out. And, the neighbors weren't partying or causing a raucous; they were simply talking!
-- Pets. This hotel allows large dogs. Depending on who you are, this could be good or bad.

The price and convenience of this Residence Inn make it an incredible deal. There is a definite possibility that we would stay here again, for those reasons, but the noise, cleanliness, and animals definitely make me reconsider.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jen B
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel on Trip Advisor. I’d like to extend a sincere apology that your room was not up to service standards. Your feedback enables me to better prevent anything like that from happening again. I am happy to hear that our central location made all of your San Diego sightseeing plans so convenient! I also thank you for mentioning the incredible value we at the Residence Inn by Marriott Mission Valley strive to offer to our guests. It sounds like you enjoyed the pool, and that your family found our suite spacious and comfortable. I do apologize for any noise during your stay. We have a strict “no party” policy in an effort to minimize noise from neighboring suites. Also, we do restrict pets to designated area of the hotel, and you are always more than welcome request placement away from any pets that may be staying on property. I do hope you stay with us next time you visit San Diego. We would be delighted to accommodate you again.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed here in April for 5 nights. Check in was great very helpful staff, made us feel at home. Had a room on top level, view of the pool. Paid $180 per night. The rooms was very large no problems there, although the rooms are aged somewhat. The beds and furniture were in good condition and the room was very clean. Kitchen has everything you need although could really do with a reno, is a bit old.
Now for the bad part, the walls are wafer thin, so if you have any neighbors at all this will be an issue. And when I say wafer thin, i mean wafer thin. You can hear a cough or sneeze like they are in the room with you. We were lucky that we only had people next door for one night, otherwise it would have been ta deal breaker.
The buffet, well for free, maybe its passable, but not much more. if you get down there late, it's a mad house. Pool looked nice but the weather was too cold for swimming.
Internet, breakfast all included in the price, so cannot fault that. But if you have a young family next door to you then it could really spoil your trip.
Locations was fantastic, close to sea world and the zoo, close to whole foods, lots of eateries and shopping.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor so no-one stomps on you all night. Also ask if any babies staying next door as...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank hades68
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay. I am happy to hear that our team made you feel comfortable and right at home. I will inform them of your experience with them, as they strive to offer a swift, accurate and warm check in for all we have the pleasure of accommodating. This hotel strives on customer service as our number one priority and I am pleased to know that my staff was able to make your stay delightful but I understand where your challenges were during your stay here. I regret that you experienced noise disturbances from neighboring rooms. I do hope that you visit us again, and wish you well until then.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here for our daughter's graduation from USD. It was Memorial weekend, so San Diego was super crowded. The hotel is clean, comfortable, the rooms are spacious and I love the wonderful selection at breakfast each morning. We brought pizza and popcorn to our room one night for dinner and it was nice to have the microwave and dishes to use. Our only complaint was the first day the maid service did not clean our room until around 5, when we needed to get ready for a graduation party. We had to wait a bit while the room was cleaned so we could get ready. My other small complaint is the air conditioner, when it turns on, just blasts you with cold air! It is very loud. It would be nice to be able to have the room stay consistent without a blast of air coming on every once in a while. Also, I think it is time to get new mattresses. I felt like I was rolling into the center of the bed. We have stayed here about 4 times in the course of the 4 years our daughter was a USD. It is our favorite hotel in SD-convenient in proximity to any place you'd want to go, and the staff is pleasant and very helpful. The pool area is a great place to gather with friends and family as well.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back are quiet, but it is far from the pool and breakfast area. We had a high floo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review on trip Advisor, and Coagulations to your daughter, the graduate! We are so glad that your over all experience, was favorable, and that even during a busy holiday weekend, you found our property to be clean, and comfortable and found our team of staff to be helpful and friendly. I am glad that you were happy with how spacious your accommodations were. Here on property every room is a suite, and equipped with everything one needs to be at home, away from home.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We decided to stay here for the rooms, the kids get their own room with bunk beds,and we would have a full kitchen to save some money on meals. I would stay here again because of this and so much more. The evening meals during the week were perfect after a long day out at the many attractions and not wanting to venture out for dinner, the pool was not huge but a perfect place to play before bed or in the morning. Staff was very friendly and the location was great, very close to Sea World and shopping centers and restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

The convenient location our property is great for anyone trying to see what San Diego has to offer,

are able to enjoy and indulge in all the great complimentary amenities we offer our guest on a daily basis. From breakfast to cocktails to our gym and internet, we here at the hotel like to know that our guests are left feeling completely satisfied with the all the comforts they get from homeFrom breakfast to cocktails to our gym and internet, we here at the hotel like to know that our guests are left feeling completely satisfied with the all the comforts they get from home.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I moved to this hotel after checking in after quickly checking out of the very outdated Town & Country down the street. I was very pleased with the friendly staff and cleanliness of the hotel. Traveling on business, I very much enjoyed the breakfast (every morning), light dinner and beer and wine (Mon-Thurs). While the food wasn't top notch, you can't complain since it's free and they offer alcohol to dilute your taste buds. In the dining area there were many noisy children, not the hotel's fault but since it's in such a great location, it's top choice for family vacation. Just not pleasant when they're in the dining area screaming/ throwing food and their parents are doing nothing. The gym was well equipped for it's size and had everything I needed. There was a bar type room located off the lobby where they served drinks, had tv's and a pool table. The pool and hot tub were nice areas as well, also infested with small children most of them time. One night the fire alarm did go off 3 times, after leavingmy room the first time only for it to be turned off, the second and third time I tried calling down to the front desk, no one answered.
My room was large and had everything I needed for the week, and the kitchenette was a big reason why I chose there over others. Given the chance, I would stay at this hotel again. It's clean, offers a lot of amenities, great staff and in a great location, literally just minutes from everything you could want to see and do in San Diego.

Room Tip: I've read a few complaints about noise in this hotel and I did hear our neighbor, but since I wa...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel here on Trip Advisor. We thrive on feedback and truly value each opinion we get on any aspect of our hotel, as it enables us to see opportunities improvement and growth. I am sorry that you found our breakfast area too crowded for your liking. The expansive variety of breakfast foods and beverages offered, all at no extra charge, is very popular. I am glad that you otherwise enjoyed your stay, and took advantage of the complementary happy hour as well. I would love the opportunity to accommodate both you and your husband in the future.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We recently stayed here on a family trip to San Diego. A big reason why we picked this hotel was that it had the Family suite with the bunk beds for kids & it looked like a really family friendly hotel. Another reason was the fact that breakfast was included as well as light dinner on Monday to Thursday.

When we arrived, the staff were helpful and checked us in. Our room was neat & tidy and the little room with the bunk beds for the kids was great. First impressions were great. Unfortunately it didnt stay that way.

The food in the eating area was relatively average but when it's free you cant really complain. The most difficult part was that if you wanted to get something more substantial for a meal, there was nowhere within the hotel that you could go. There is no actual restaurant within the hotel and despite being on the "Hotel Circle" there were no restaurants close by or even fast food outlets. Also on Wednesday night they had free Karaoke which sounded like fun but it was actually in the restaurant during the dinner service so it was very loud and not very pleasant (especially when the few "musically challenged" people got up to sing).

They had a really cute kids area which is seen in the hotel photos. We thought this would be great for the kids but when we arrived the only thing that was really there were some tables and chairs. I was expecting that they would have it stocked with colouring in or games. Almost all the drawers there were empty. There were a few bits of games, but nothing that you could actually get out & play.

The other disappointment was that the hotel is very very loud. It's an old hotel so the soundproofing isnt great and we could hear every noise from the room above us and to the side. The other problem was an extremely loud airconditioning unit on the outside of the building was extremely loud.

The location also isnt great. We were tourists who'd never been to San Diego and thought "Hotel Circle" sounded like a good touristy area. We expected it to have a range of restaurants & good transport but it was very limiting. If we went back to San Diego we'd stay in another area.

We were meant to stay at the Residence Inn for 6 nights but moved down the road to the Doubletree Suites a couple of doors down after 3 nights.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gracie5star

Thank you for your review of my hotel, the Residence Inn by Marriot. I am sorry to hear that we missed the mark when it came to your satisfaction. It is especially heartbreaking to hear your children were not enjoying themselves due to a miscommunication! We have games, art supplies, various sporting equipment as well as DVDs available for guest use, all safely kept behind the front desk. I am so sorry we didn’t communicate that more clearly to your family. If given the opportunity to accommodate you and your family again, I know we would not disappoint. I thank you again for taking the time to write a review here on Trip Advisor, as comments from our fuel change here at Residence Inn Mission Valley.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I have stayed many places of moderate and above moderate prices but I would rate this hotel a TOP rated hotel. All of the staff is so friendly. There is complimentary dinner Mon.- Thurs. with complementary beer and wine. There is even a guest laundry. The rooms are spacious with a fridge, microwave and everything you need for cooking a small meal (no stove, but eyes for stovetop coooking). The location is in close proximity to Fashion Valley Mall, Old Town, San Diego Zoo, and generally everything you would like to be near to visit. It is just a few miles from Gaslamp District and Seaport Village. I HIGHLY recommend this location! If we ever come back to visit San Diego, we will stay here if it's available.

Room Tip: Any room at this hotel is great.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank KELLY R

Thank you so very much for the wonderful review you gave my hotel, the Residence Inn Marriott Mission Valley. Hearing that our convenient central location, our friendly team of staff, and all our amenities here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley earned us a spot on your “TOP” rated hotel scale couldn’t make me more pleased. This hotel strives to exceed accepted standards in both customer service and property amenities, so I am glad you were able to experience and enjoy both.. From your new friends here at the Residence Inn we look forward to seeing you in the future.