“Excellent place to stay while on business or vacation”

Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
Ranked #133 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here for our daughter's graduation from USD. It was Memorial weekend, so San Diego was super crowded. The hotel is clean, comfortable, the rooms are spacious and I love the wonderful selection at breakfast each morning. We brought pizza and popcorn to our room one night for dinner and it was nice to have the microwave and dishes to use. Our only complaint was the first day the maid service did not clean our room until around 5, when we needed to get ready for a graduation party. We had to wait a bit while the room was cleaned so we could get ready. My other small complaint is the air conditioner, when it turns on, just blasts you with cold air! It is very loud. It would be nice to be able to have the room stay consistent without a blast of air coming on every once in a while. Also, I think it is time to get new mattresses. I felt like I was rolling into the center of the bed. We have stayed here about 4 times in the course of the 4 years our daughter was a USD. It is our favorite hotel in SD-convenient in proximity to any place you'd want to go, and the staff is pleasant and very helpful. The pool area is a great place to gather with friends and family as well.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back are quiet, but it is far from the pool and breakfast area. We had a high floo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for your review on trip Advisor, and Coagulations to your daughter, the graduate! We are so glad that your over all experience, was favorable, and that even during a busy holiday weekend, you found our property to be clean, and comfortable and found our team of staff to be helpful and friendly. I am glad that you were happy with how spacious your accommodations were. Here on property every room is a suite, and equipped with everything one needs to be at home, away from home.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We decided to stay here for the rooms, the kids get their own room with bunk beds,and we would have a full kitchen to save some money on meals. I would stay here again because of this and so much more. The evening meals during the week were perfect after a long day out at the many attractions and not wanting to venture out for dinner, the pool was not huge but a perfect place to play before bed or in the morning. Staff was very friendly and the location was great, very close to Sea World and shopping centers and restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

The convenient location our property is great for anyone trying to see what San Diego has to offer,

are able to enjoy and indulge in all the great complimentary amenities we offer our guest on a daily basis. From breakfast to cocktails to our gym and internet, we here at the hotel like to know that our guests are left feeling completely satisfied with the all the comforts they get from homeFrom breakfast to cocktails to our gym and internet, we here at the hotel like to know that our guests are left feeling completely satisfied with the all the comforts they get from home.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I moved to this hotel after checking in after quickly checking out of the very outdated Town & Country down the street. I was very pleased with the friendly staff and cleanliness of the hotel. Traveling on business, I very much enjoyed the breakfast (every morning), light dinner and beer and wine (Mon-Thurs). While the food wasn't top notch, you can't complain since it's free and they offer alcohol to dilute your taste buds. In the dining area there were many noisy children, not the hotel's fault but since it's in such a great location, it's top choice for family vacation. Just not pleasant when they're in the dining area screaming/ throwing food and their parents are doing nothing. The gym was well equipped for it's size and had everything I needed. There was a bar type room located off the lobby where they served drinks, had tv's and a pool table. The pool and hot tub were nice areas as well, also infested with small children most of them time. One night the fire alarm did go off 3 times, after leavingmy room the first time only for it to be turned off, the second and third time I tried calling down to the front desk, no one answered.
My room was large and had everything I needed for the week, and the kitchenette was a big reason why I chose there over others. Given the chance, I would stay at this hotel again. It's clean, offers a lot of amenities, great staff and in a great location, literally just minutes from everything you could want to see and do in San Diego.

Room Tip: I've read a few complaints about noise in this hotel and I did hear our neighbor, but since I wa...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel here on Trip Advisor. We thrive on feedback and truly value each opinion we get on any aspect of our hotel, as it enables us to see opportunities improvement and growth. I am sorry that you found our breakfast area too crowded for your liking. The expansive variety of breakfast foods and beverages offered, all at no extra charge, is very popular. I am glad that you otherwise enjoyed your stay, and took advantage of the complementary happy hour as well. I would love the opportunity to accommodate both you and your husband in the future.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We recently stayed here on a family trip to San Diego. A big reason why we picked this hotel was that it had the Family suite with the bunk beds for kids & it looked like a really family friendly hotel. Another reason was the fact that breakfast was included as well as light dinner on Monday to Thursday.

When we arrived, the staff were helpful and checked us in. Our room was neat & tidy and the little room with the bunk beds for the kids was great. First impressions were great. Unfortunately it didnt stay that way.

The food in the eating area was relatively average but when it's free you cant really complain. The most difficult part was that if you wanted to get something more substantial for a meal, there was nowhere within the hotel that you could go. There is no actual restaurant within the hotel and despite being on the "Hotel Circle" there were no restaurants close by or even fast food outlets. Also on Wednesday night they had free Karaoke which sounded like fun but it was actually in the restaurant during the dinner service so it was very loud and not very pleasant (especially when the few "musically challenged" people got up to sing).

They had a really cute kids area which is seen in the hotel photos. We thought this would be great for the kids but when we arrived the only thing that was really there were some tables and chairs. I was expecting that they would have it stocked with colouring in or games. Almost all the drawers there were empty. There were a few bits of games, but nothing that you could actually get out & play.

The other disappointment was that the hotel is very very loud. It's an old hotel so the soundproofing isnt great and we could hear every noise from the room above us and to the side. The other problem was an extremely loud airconditioning unit on the outside of the building was extremely loud.

The location also isnt great. We were tourists who'd never been to San Diego and thought "Hotel Circle" sounded like a good touristy area. We expected it to have a range of restaurants & good transport but it was very limiting. If we went back to San Diego we'd stay in another area.

We were meant to stay at the Residence Inn for 6 nights but moved down the road to the Doubletree Suites a couple of doors down after 3 nights.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gracie5star

Thank you for your review of my hotel, the Residence Inn by Marriot. I am sorry to hear that we missed the mark when it came to your satisfaction. It is especially heartbreaking to hear your children were not enjoying themselves due to a miscommunication! We have games, art supplies, various sporting equipment as well as DVDs available for guest use, all safely kept behind the front desk. I am so sorry we didn’t communicate that more clearly to your family. If given the opportunity to accommodate you and your family again, I know we would not disappoint. I thank you again for taking the time to write a review here on Trip Advisor, as comments from our fuel change here at Residence Inn Mission Valley.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I have stayed many places of moderate and above moderate prices but I would rate this hotel a TOP rated hotel. All of the staff is so friendly. There is complimentary dinner Mon.- Thurs. with complementary beer and wine. There is even a guest laundry. The rooms are spacious with a fridge, microwave and everything you need for cooking a small meal (no stove, but eyes for stovetop coooking). The location is in close proximity to Fashion Valley Mall, Old Town, San Diego Zoo, and generally everything you would like to be near to visit. It is just a few miles from Gaslamp District and Seaport Village. I HIGHLY recommend this location! If we ever come back to visit San Diego, we will stay here if it's available.

Room Tip: Any room at this hotel is great.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank KELLY R

Thank you so very much for the wonderful review you gave my hotel, the Residence Inn Marriott Mission Valley. Hearing that our convenient central location, our friendly team of staff, and all our amenities here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley earned us a spot on your “TOP” rated hotel scale couldn’t make me more pleased. This hotel strives to exceed accepted standards in both customer service and property amenities, so I am glad you were able to experience and enjoy both.. From your new friends here at the Residence Inn we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We have now stayed at this location 3 or 4 times over the last 8 years. Very family friendly and staff was very friendly. We have stayed in both the two bedroom suite (highly recommend) and the one bedroom suite (small but ok). Very clean and complimentary full breakfast bar is great for a family. Complimentary beer at happy hour is pretty cool also. Surprisingly enough we are very happy with the upkeep of this hotel, it looks the same as it did when we stayed there 8 years ago. Easy access on and off the freeway. Will definitely stay there again and again.

Room Tip: If you have two or more children, I would highly recommend the two bedroom suite.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cristi F
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your extensive experience with us here at Residence Inn Mission Valley. We are always so happy to hear from repeat guests! We are so grateful for your loyalty, and thank you for trusting us time and again with your business. I do hope that you are a Marriott Rewards Member as well, and that you are enjoying all the benefits that come along with free membership, including earning points for each night of stay. We often have raffles, and contests (more recently a pool tournament on Friday nights), giving members the opportunity to win even more Marriott Rewards Points. We look forward to seeing and accommodating you again soon!
All my best until then.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed in a one bedroom unit looking out over back parking lot. Front desk staff was friendly and efficient. Room was small, but quiet, very clean and perfect for 2 people. Since this was Master's Golf weekend, my husband appreciated the flat screen tv and I enjoyed the hassle free wireless internet.Complimentary beer and wine in the evenings was a nice touch. Hotel layout is a little strange; even though you access rooms from an indoor corridor, you have to go outside to reach the common areas - only an issue on days of inclement weather. Fire alarm went off one morning and everyone headed to parking lot. No all clear sign was given by the staff. It seemed left up to the guests to determine when it was safe. Stay away from the "free" breakfast. It was too crowded, too disorganized, they ran out of clean silverware and there was not a napkin to be found. Take advantage of your kitchen and stock up on breakfast food. I would like to suggest that the hotel serve a limited breakfast in the bar area which would cater to adults without children and business travelers. Additional parking fee seemed a rip off and was no more secure than parking on the driveway leading to the hotel. I guess this his how hotels can keep their room rates low.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet rooms on top floor facing back parking lot.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Loves2Travel999

Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel here on Trip Advisor. We thrive on feedback and truly value each opinion we get on any aspect of our hotel, as it enables us to see opportunities improvement and growth. I am sorry that you found our breakfast area too crowded for your liking. The expansive variety of breakfast foods and beverages offered, all at no extra charge, is very popular. I am glad that you otherwise enjoyed your stay, and took advantage of the complementary happy hour as well. I would love the opportunity to accommodate your family again in the future.