“Central location, great service, a tad noisy” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
Ranked #115 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Grapevine, Texas
“Central location, great service, a tad noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

My family of 4 (2 parents, 2 college-age kids) stayed at this hotel for a week. We were very pleased with the service - complimentary beverages nightly and light dinner most nights, full breakfast daily (including heart healthy/light options!!!!), coffee and fresh ice water available all day in the lobby, laundry, business center, small sundry shop, pool and jacuzzi, above-average gym, basketball court, even a small game room. The service we received from housekeeping was exceptional. Our room had a full kitchen, and we used dishes and the coffee maker daily. Every day, the dishes were done, and the coffee pot was cleaned. Our coffee supplies were generously replenished every day. Linens were fresh, everything was neater than neat, and we never ran out of toiletries.

I felt very welcome here. The staff was friendly and accommodating.

This hotel is centrally located near where I-8 meets 163. We were literally close to everything - the airport, the harbor, the beach, the mall, Old Town, Sea World, and tons of restaurants. However, the location is set back from the road (eliminating freeway noise, by the way), so watch carefully for the sign, and beware of iPhone Maps directions. The app sent us up into a residential area, trying to get us to the back of the property (we presume). If your GPS doesn't tell you to exit the 8 or the 163 onto Hotel Circle, you may want to call for directions, or just search for "Hotel Circle South" and watch for the sign.

The only negative comment I have is the noise in our room, and this may have been isolated to our room only, due to it's location. We were in room 145, which is below ground level, and has a walkway and ramp directly above it. All night (it seems), people would walk over the walkway, often dragging suitcases, making one of the bedrooms noisy. The walls seemed thin, as we could hear muted conversations and other creaky noises around us. None of these issues were annoying enough to cause us to ask for another room, and all noises were easily eliminated with earplugs (my answer to noise in any hotel).

Bottom line, I would definitely recommend this clean, convenient, friendly hotel if you need two rooms but want to be together. (PS - they allow well-mannered pets as well!)

Room Tip: Some first floor rooms are below ground level, so if you want sun, make sure to mention it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank belyndaw
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for reviewing my hotel on Trip Advisor. I have made sure to pass on your kind words to my housekeeping department. It is always nice to hear praises that my teams have met, if not exceeded, our guest’s expectations. The housekeeping team works hard every day to make sure that the rooms are nothing but the best for our guests. It sounds like you and your family were able to enjoy yourselves while here in San Diego. There are so many amazing things to do and see in this city and our hotel is perfect for those who are here to get out and explore. I hope you and your family had a great new year and that you will allow us to accommodate you once again.

Todd Capizzo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Korean first
Nanton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel on five different family vacations and we really do love it. It has everything we need to truly make us feel at home - large suites with kitchens, swimming pool and hot tub, sport court, good laundry facilities, a workout room, great food and friendly staff. When I say food, I mean a full hot breakfast seven days a week and a terrific managers reception each weekday evening. We call the reception dinner - because it is! Salad bar and a different "theme" each night (Mexican, Italian, barbecue, etc) plus a dessert. Not only that, but how about complimentary beer and wine at the managers reception as well! There are six people in our family, so not having to go out for breakfast any morning and having weeknight dinners at the hotel certainly helps our dollars go farther. The hotel staff have always gone above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. We find the location central to many activities. We wouldn't think of staying anywhere else when we're visiting San Diego.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Karen L
Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel on Trip Advisor. It is nice to hear that you and your family are able to enjoy and indulge in all the great complimentary amenities we offer our guest on a daily basis. From breakfast to cocktails to our gym and internet, we here at the hotel like to know that our guests are left feeling completely satisfied with the all the comforts they get from home. I want to thank you and your family for being such loyal customers to our hotel in the past and we look forward to continuing our relationship in the future. From your friends at the Residence Inn Mission Valley, we wish you a wonderful New Year.

Laguna Niguel, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife, 5 year old, one month old and two dogs all stayed at the RI Mission Valley over the New Years Holiday and the hotel was very nice. We had the large room with the bedroom and living room divided by a door which was very nice. As always the kitchen was well equipped! The buffet was great in the morning and the location is ideal for San Diego as you are only minutes from both downtown and Sea World. The staff at the front desk was very nice as well. We'll be back for sure!!

1 Thank Mattylenzen
Thank you for sharing a review on Trip Advisor from your recent stay. It sounds like you and your family had a nice vacation here in San Diego. We are located minutes away from many of San Diego’s best attractions and I am glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of that on your trip. We look forward to the next time we are able to accommodate you and the whole family here at the Residence Inn. Hope you have a great New Year!

Castle Rock, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

The service was superior. Anytime we needed anything, it was taken care of instantly with a good attitude, a smile and a follow up. The only negative encounter we had was with one housekeeper. When we reported it, they took care of us by giving us 20,000 reward points and lowering our nightly rate for being spoken to in a rude fashion! We weren't asking for anything but thought they should know since up to that point (and thereafter), everyone had been so friendly. We booked the family suite so we didn't have to be on top of one another for a week. Unfortunately the king bed was a little worn (you felt like you were sliding in to the middle of the bed a bit), the bunk beds were too hard and the pull out bed was even worse :( The pillows were also less than to be desired. So, with a family of 4, myself and my daughter (with a bad back) shared the king and my 7 year old and husband shared the pull out but none of us really slept well. The walls are really thin so you tend to hear everything going on in the hotel, ear plugs are a must. The pull out was initially broken too when we pulled it out but again, the staff responded immediately and fixed it that day so we could use it that night and then completely reinstalled a new frame the next day when we were gone. The closet doors kept coming off the rail too but they fixed that right away as well. It was awesome having such a nice variety of hot breakfast buffett every morning and M-TH dinners served with free happy hour. They really do what they can to make you feel you are at home. I didn't love that the lobby was separate from the rooms. You had to go outside in the cold or rainy puddles but it wasn't too bad. The location was perfect. We were central to all of our activities including SeaWorld, LegoLand, Zoo, etc...we also did a tailgate with the bad boys of BBQ while we were there and were fed yet again for free, awesome, good quality food with friendly company :) Overall, we had a great experience but didn't get a ton of rest....you sleep best in your own bed anyway, right?!

Room Tip: Do not recommend the family suite with bunk beds. The bunk beds were too hard and they are right by...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank abevill
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay and know that we have spoken with the employee who was unable to make your stay the best it could be to ensure this never happens again. Feedback like your helps our hotel to be the best it can truly be and without knowing the problems, we are unable to fix them, so for that I thank you. I do hope that in the future we are able to accommodate you and your family once again

Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

The staff in this hotel was extremely courteous and friendly. I wasn't aware that the hotel provided a happy hour and a dinner buffet. This was a nice addition to our stay. The hotel very closed to all the San Diego attractions which was very convenient. We did have a few issues with our rooms but those were taken care of as well. We had 2 rooms. In one room, we had issues with some pillows smelling used, which was take care of immediately. In another room, we found a used tissue and someone's deordorant. That was not removed when our room was cleaned that day. It wasn't removed until the next day. There was also a clear bag in the closet for extra pillow and blanket. There was a bug and hair in the bag. I didn't have a need to use those and reported it during check out.

The issues we ran into were all taken care of. We enjoyed our stay and would stay here again.

Room Tip: This is a great hotel for families. Very economical from a food perspective.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at my hotel on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that you had to deal with the mentioned issues and I do hope that my staff was able to make up for it during your stay. We thrive off comments from our guests to help make our hotel the best it can be so I truly appreciate your feedback and hope that we will be able to accommodate you again in the future.

plymouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Great place for families, our room was great, room service was fabulous, staff at reception and dining were also all very friendly and welcoming. I would highly recommend this hotel to others and would definitely stay again. Thank you for making our holiday worry free and relaxing.

Room Tip: We had a room that faced the pool, no problems or complaints with noise.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing a review on Trip Advisor of my hotel. I am happy to know that we were able to help make your holiday the best it could be and that you and your family were able to relax and enjoy yourselves while you were here. We hope that you had a great New Year and look forward to your return to San Diego.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We've traveled to 8 different countries in the last years; we average 50 nights a year in hotels and the experience we are having in this place might be the best we've ever had. We love Marriott and never have been disappointed and this particular location just raised the bar again. Where to start? Staff and management: Customer oriented and friendly; probably just meeting with the hotel manager is the explanation; I work in retail and I know a store looks exactly like the manager is; this guy introduced himself like a new neighbor will do when you just moved; simple and genuine guy. You see the respect this guy has for his staff and how they take care of their customers; it's that simple. For the rest: breakfast: more than complete and even if this is a very busy location everything flows at breakfast time. Pool and Hot tub: perfect. Rooms: very clean and well appointed. Light dinner included Monday to Thursday. Happy hour at the bar: I think this is also from Monday to Thursday but I felt we were having free drinks every evening! oh! Did I tell you about the awesome tailgate on Saturday night and the champagne bottles the bartender gave us on New Years Eve to take with us in our room? We like to travel to different cities every year but we may come back here soon and this hotel is a major part of the reason.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay on Trip Advisor. It is so wonderful to hear that my staff and I were able to accommodate you and your family during your stay. We like to roll out the red carpet for our guests and find that many of them become lifelong friends. We have many great complimentary amenities to offer for our guests as well as a great location being so central to all the wonderful things San Diego has to offer, beach, amusement parks, restaurants. On behalf of your new friends here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley, we hope to see you soon.