“Some of the most beautiful views”

Old Point Loma Lighthouse
$90.00*
Classic Sailboat Harbor Morning Cruise
Ranked #19 of 451 things to do in San Diego
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We spent about an hour visiting here and got some truly beautiful pictures. The parking lot is relatively close to the lower level look out and then I think you had to walk up to the lighthouse. We were traveling with someone who couldn't navigate the walk well so chose not to do that, but if I'd been on my own I would have problem made the walk up. It was a beautiful view regardless.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,263)

Reviewed January 12, 2013

great old and newer lighthouses. well restored living areas, huge views of san diego and the coast. we saw whales migrating while visiting the lighthouse. visitor center is also interesting.

1  Thank john b
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This was the last stop before we headed to the airport and we wished we had more time to spend there. There were so many historic facts that were presented, that it made you want to know more. Beautiful grounds and view.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is the "new" lighthouse built in 1891. It is just a short walk from the Cabrillo monument. There is hiking all around this scenic lighthouse. The view of San Diego is amazing.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I had spent some cold hours shivering in the pre-dawn darkness at this national park years ago awaiting the start of the America's City Finest Half Marathon. In those circumstances there is no appreciation of where you are. Just an overwelming desire to hear the gun go off so I can warm up.

It was a little surprising then to finally see what I was missing. After negotiating a winding road to its end, before you lies a wonderful vista not only of downtown San Diego but also a view of the setting sun over the Pacific Ocean.

In addition to the lighthouse there is a nice visitors center, a monument to the first Spanish explorers to discover the area and an area, down the hill, to explore tidal pools. You get to see boats coming into and out of San Diego harbor, helicopers taking off from the Naval Base at North Island, and if you look off into the distance you can see the famous Del Coronado Hotel perched on the beach.

I think it was $8.00 for parking. There was plenty of parking on the day we were there but I can see where with buses and motorhomes it could get tight. Be prepared to walk a little bit but other than than, well worth the drive.

1  Thank KenVicLee