“Worst Hotel Experience”

Super 8 San Diego Hotel Circle
Ranked #202 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We just came out of our worst experience of Hotel Stay in US. It not only spoilt our much awaited vacation but has shaken our faith on Choice hotels.
Me and my fried made 2 reservations and both of us had to undergo same nuisance for 3 days.
As we have small kids , While booking the hotel we requested a Microwave in our room.We were committed for the microwave but while reaching the hotel we found that not only Microwave but even Coffee maker was missing from the room. Person at reception had no idea how to deal with it. He promised to arrange for one in next few hrs but could not do so for next 3 days. He kept saying that his maintenance staff is not cooperating with him.
During the first night itself ,Air Conditioner did not work for whole night and Worked intermittent for next 2 nights. Once again no one came to fix the issue but we were told that there might be some issue with wiring or power load issue as hotel was fully booked.
Air Conditioner was coming out of window fixture and highly unsafe to stay with children. One can easily look into the room from outside due to gaps in the AC and window.
Our Room's Door magnetic Card worked intermittently and every evening we had to go to reception to get it fixed. As usual , they don’t have any reason for it.
There was huge queues during Breakfast time and single lady in the Kitchen was unable to handle the rush. Queue in the counter were bigger than queues in Disney
Manager during checkout was rude and kept smiling when we mentioned about our exp. Staff seemed to be least bothered to listen to the customer (not even pretending). We mentioned that we will be lodging a complaint but there was hardly any response to that and person handed over our receipt to us and turned back to his work.

With the kind of experience we had, I don’t think we are going to choose or recommend any of the Choice Hotels to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Super 8 San Diego Hotel Circle

Reviewed September 3, 2012

This little hotel was not so bad for the price. The good points: the front desk service was very nice and accommodating. There was something wrong with the air-conditioning in our fist room so they happily moved us to another room promptly and easily. Also, the complimentary breakfast was great! A wonderful variety all fresh and delicious. The bad points: there was no security whatsoever so the hotel was practically a ghetto breeding ground. Every night we came back to the hotel there was about 2-3 prostitutes and drug dealers walking the grounds. One night the cops had to come out at 4am because 2 prostitutes were fighting over some car keys very loudly. The deadbolt on our room was kicked off and the parking lot was barely lit. I would not recommend you Bring your family here if you want them to be safe. Otherwise,this is really not a bad place. They just really need a couple people patrolling the grounds at night.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Roxy R
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed at this Hotel first time which is in the Hotel Circle of San Deigo. It is a very old hotel and owners have really not taken the trouble to make it look new and pleasant. I was in a Single Occupancy room and the bed filled the whole room. There is an old old TV too. Very less space around the Wash Basin to place your things. The Breakfast room is so small that you keep bumping into each other. The lady staff there was helpful and she made the milk warm for my oats. The Elevator is also so old. I told my friend in San Jose that this hotel seems 100 years old and he corrected me and said it was 40. Front Desk was helpful and there is coffee at the FrontDesk for anybody. The phone was specially bad and I could hardly hear when I made overseas calls home. I complained about it and they just said it is what it is , politely. Also, I had to pay 20 dollars cash at Front Desk to get the phone line functional. They would not accept a Credit card for the same.
Nearby there are good eating places esp Breakfast called Adams Steak and Eggs and Bunz too and further down you have a 24 hour kitchen and a store where you can buy your waters, ice cream, snacks etc.
See pictures showing the status of the property and the poor pillows and the third class phone set.
Trip Advisor, you got your friend a bit upset this time !

Room Tip: I wonder if there really is a good room
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 1, 2012

NEVER stay here, ever! Our experience was a joke and the "Quality" Inn is wrongly named.

We checked-in late and had quite the experience. It took about 15 minutes just to check-in because there was one person working the counter (and one person hiding in the back, no joke). After receiving the key for our room, we made the trek to the third floor to find the lights on in the room. With no response after knocking, we opened the door to find a complete and utter mess. The bed was unmade and pulled away from the wall, there were ads all over the floor, the bathroom was dirty, and the toilet was UNFLUSHED. We went back downstairs to find out what the deal was, and were told that they weren't sure if the room had been cleaned by the staff (clearly not), and that there were no other rooms available. Since it was late on a Saturday night, we didn't have much other option but to stay.

We later went downstairs (since the front desk wouldn't answer the phone) to find out if there were plugs for the bathtub drain (of course there weren't), and we witnessed multiple people complain about their rooms. One couple had dirty towels on the bathroom floor, multiple customers had people in their rooms, one woman was without electricity, and one woman's room was cancelled without notice.

I don't know what happened, but what we and many other customers experienced was completely unacceptable and inexcusable. I will NEVER stay at a "Quality" Inn again, and will NEVER recommend it to anyone. Definitely the worst hotel experience ever.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carley26
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My friends and I went to a "Chargers" football game and wanted something affordable but decent place to stay the night. The first red flag was while checking in the lobby was full of people complaining about the motel. This lady standing behind me said, "If your checking in your better off sleeping in the car!" I laughed and thought "well how bad can it possibly be." Man was I wrong!!!!

When we walked into our room it smelled so bad as if it had not been cleaned for days. I went to turn on the AC and it was broken. I called the front desk to see if they had anyone available to come check out our AC. The front desk employee said in the rudest tone "NOPE." I then asked if I can be changed to a different room and he said "NOPE we are sold out." I asked if I could talk to a manager and he again replied with "NOPE." I became so annoyed I asked him if their was anyone else I could speak to. He replied with "Look if your not satisfied with the service you are more than welcome to come check out," and he hung up on me. I was speechless! I couldn't believe it.

As we were leaving we couldn't take the elevator because someone had spilled soda all over the floor and no one had came to clean it up. As I got into my car there were a bunch of thugs hanging out on the stairway bringing tall cans of beer. I felt like I was leaving the projects of Los Angeles!!!! This was an absolute nightmare!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank LAcountyGirl
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife and I and 2 grandchildren recently spent 5 nights here. The stay was marginal at best. The first room we were given had a defective air conditioner, no security bolt on the door, and no telephone. We moved to a different room the next day after being told the problems had been corrected. The only problem corrected was the security bolt. They moved us without a complaint, and the second rom was better. The a/c worked well, the dead bolt was fine, and the room did have a telephone. However , the TV was an old CRT set with on-screen channel labels that had nothing to do with the channel being displayed.

The front desk had promised us a 20% discount on the first night's fee because of the problems with our first room. That did not happen, either. When we checked out, I discovered no discount, and no one there had any authority to change anything. It also turned out that we had been billed for all 5 nights when we checked in. That meant that the billed credit card could not be changed, either, without much effort. I was given a phone number to call for a manager who could handle the promised discount. When we got back home, I called, but no one answered that phone and no voice mail was provided for leaving a message. A week ago I emailed Choice Hotels about the discount, but they have not deigned to reply.

I won't stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My wife and I normally stay at the Comfort Inn around Hotel Circle area, which we had found to be good enough for our needs; unfortunately, they were booked up, so we decided to stay here, as we wanted to be in the Hotel Circle area
Let me state that the personnel were always very polite and tried their best to be helpful, but they did seem overwhelmed and swamped.
First, the parking area was a bit difficult because it was kinda narrow depending on where other cars were parked ("legally"). Elevators and stairs are really not placed that well and if you are on the second floor (all rooms are on the second floor), may not be able to "go around" to the other side. Good part: Parking is free.
On checking in, had to wait a while as the one clerk was busy. I later came back for hot water for some tea rather than wait for the room coffee maker; the hot water container was practically empty and not hot enough for the tea, so I wound back up in my room again.
The room was small, desk not overly placed properly and of course, made the room seem much smaller. Room was clean. Free-wifi which I used; need a little something more secured than the Logon id and password of Guest!
A/C was good.
Next morning, breakfast was ... let's say the room was jammed, and they seemed to be out of everything and needed constant refilling by the one person that was servicing the entire area. You could tell that she was just completely swamped with all the work, but she still kept a cheerful disposition and did her best under an extremely busy situation. Making waffles? Good luck! We were behind someone waiting for the one waffle maker, and decided to give up. When we left 20 minutes later, he was next in line for the waffle maker! They were out of eggs and sausages, with eggs coming in about 5 minutes and the greasy sausages 12 minutes later. Pastries and Danish were also in short supply and as soon as they were brought out, it was practically gone. Yogurt was good, didn't see any fruits. Coffee, OJ and fruit juices - fine when it wasn't running out. Let's just say that we kinda gave up on how long the wait was, as well as the food itself.
When I checked out, the line was long with only one clerk and had to wait again for about 10 minutes, primarily to get a receipt that we had already paid.
This caused us to be about an hour late at our next place that we were going to; not a big deal, but ...
All in all, I see this motel as an old motel that needs a lot of work to get up to an acceptable status. Not good place for $100 a night motel.
One good point - close to freeway, zoo, downtown.

Room Tip: Go to another motel close by Hotel Circle
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family