“OK room with a ridiculous shower”

Super 8 San Diego Hotel Circle
Ranked #195 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Costa Mesa, California
“OK room with a ridiculous shower”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My real rating would be 2.5 out of 5. The rooms are very small but clean, I was a single traveller so the small size didnt matter to me but for families the rooms would be painfully small. Bathroom floor had some cracks but it was still clean, what really frustrated me was the shower, the temperatures kept fluctuating from very cold to burning hot on its own, I was in a hurry in the morning and the shower going haywire didn't help at all, when I complained about it I was told that too many people were in the bathroom at the same time, wow that's a great excuse! The towels were Super 8 standard - thin, small and grey. Wi-fi speed was laughable, the only positives were a good breakfast, good location and free parking.
This hotel can be much better than what it is currently only if the management pays attention.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Sunny_308

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Onalaska, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The hotel is convenient off I-8 Hotel Circle - minutes to the airport and cruise port, shopping and close to restaurants and attractions. It is not up to par as a Quality Inn. When I booked my reservation last year, the web site showed no pictures and listed it as 'new' and pictures to come. Not quite truth in advertising. This is an old property. It is in the process of being upgraded, new furniture is arriving daily and room by room there is progress. We had 3 rooms and all had new carpets and beds. The bathrooms had new tubs, toilets and sinks, but fans were noisy, doors needed new paint, empty brackets on the wall where a hairdryer was supposed to be.
Each of our rooms had a fridge. You have to guess what they are set at - no knob, so our water froze once. One room had a coffeemaker, we requested them for the other 2 rooms. One got delivered and had to go to the front desk to get the third. Towels are paper thin, but the rooms are clean. The maintenance guy is great! When we checked in, he personally went to each room to make sure we had working fridges (needed for meds) or he would have found one and brought it to us. The front desk held our luggage as we got there early and they didn't have all 3 rooms ready. No complaints there. We skipped the free breakfast and went next door - walk right out of the parking lot - don't miss this gem at the hotel right next door - great food at the cafe. All in all, no major complaints. It was not up to Quality Inn standards and the rate was good for San Diego, but I wouldn't book here again.

1 Thank KJCruiser
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 20, 2012

The hotel is in a great location on Hotel Circle. I8 is right out the front door and it is walking distance (5 minutes) from the Mission Valley restaurant and a little store with everything you could need in it. It is also walking distance (10-12 minutes) from Fashion Valley Mall and the trolley depot (so easy access to downtown, Las Americas, etc). The bedding is clean and the carpet looks fairly new and is in good shape. Flat screen tv (but I understand that it is not in every room yet). There is a fitness center with a couple of treadmills, a bike and a universal machine. Free wi-fi in the room and internet with printer in lobby. Breakfast is free each morning and consists of sausage, waffles, eggs, cereal, yogurt, bananas - it is the same every day. The best part: the maintenance guy! Great source of information, very helpful and prompt.

The cons: I had to switch rooms because the door would not lock (key card entry). It stuck in the unlocked position once then locked after a few minutes but a day later it stuck in the unlocked position and did not return. I had trouble with the toilet not filling back up without jiggling the piece in the tank and the air condition did not run properly. They are in the process of remodeling/upgrading but doing it in stages. The walls are paper thin so you can hear even normal conversation next door. There is only a fridge in the rooms with 2 beds. The ground in front is tile/marble-like and slippery when wet ( I fell after it had rained). Even with all of the little inconveniences that I experienced (the toilet, the air, the door), management did not offer any concession for my trouble which was disappointing. There is no free shuttle to the airport but they do have a shuttle service you can pay for. There is no pool, no jacuzzi and not restaurant on the property.

Overall, if you need a clean, conveniently located place to stay, this is perfect. The rooms look good and smell clean. But do not be surprised if there is a little hiccup with something because the place is older and in need of upgrading.....but they are working on it.

Room Tip: Talk to the maintenance guy!
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Although there was no mention of it at the time I made my reservation, I wasn’t surprised to see that some of the rooms were being refreshed/remodeled to some degree as we were travelling the week after Spring Break. My first impression as I pulled into the parking lot and walked up to the office was that it was going to be a good value since it looked rather clean and the lobby was well appointed. My very first clue should have been when the clerk apologized as he handed me the key card saying they were out of sleeves for the keys. He had wrapped a ‘post it’ note around the key cards. He told me the room was on the second floor, breakfast was served from 6:30 to 9:30, and mentioned elevators at each end of the building; nothing more. No information on which side of the building my room was located or placement of the ice machines.
Upon finding our room, the first thing I noticed was that the door ‘stop’ molding was broken near the bottom. As we entered, my wife caught a faint whiff of cigarette smoke. When I found an ashtray in the bathroom, I immediately called the front desk, asking for another room. They upgraded me to a room with a refrigerator without charging the normal five dollar daily fee for it. While quite a bit better, our new room was rather small and still not one of the remodeled ones. The refrigerator was located under the clothes hanging rack. Inside, the plastic coating was flaking off the wire shelves, allowing them to rust. The carpet was showing signs of wear, particularly in doorways. The mattresses were nothing to brag about, although we did get a pretty good night’s sleep. The Polaroid flat screen television had NO HDMI connection for use with our computer to stream Netflix or Hulu. As we went to dinner, I noticed that there was a lot of small trash strewn about the parking lot and several trash cans were in need of being emptied.
After the first night, we left early the next morning for sightseeing and other activities. Upon our return around 4:30 for a brief rest prior to going out to dinner, our room smelled as if someone had been smoking pot. I called the front desk to complain. The clerk offered to let us change rooms, but we had already spread out and had only one night left, so we refused. They sent two maintenance men who were armed with a can of Lysol. Their explanation was that perhaps someone in an adjacent room had been smoking it and it permeated the wall. The other explanation offered was that someone was smoking it out on the walkway in front of our room and it came into the room between the door facing and the unsealed door, denying any possibility that a maid or other staff would do it.
As a place to rest my head at the end of a busy day of sightseeing, whale watching and other excursions, it was more than sufficient, but due to the smoking issue and a slew of minor things wrong with our room, I won’t return to this property.

Room Tip: Look at the room prior to checking in. Look at the parking lot. If it is littered, drive on.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Arrived without advance reservations and selected this location because it was AAA approved and RoomSaver.com ad stated "Newly Renovated Rooms". Check in was smooth (and we were given a decent rate - $155 for 2 nights, 3rd floor) but from that point it was downhill. The room was large enough, clean, the beds comfortable and sheets clean - but the pillows "smelled"; the cover over the air conditioner/heater kept falling off; refrigerator was moldy; bathroom towels too small/thin; and light sensors kept turning off. The bathroom fan was combined with the light so you could not have bathroom door open and the light sensor would shut off leaving you in a very dark tub; the tub was slick bottom and no handrails to help you in/out of tub; the water varied from hot to cold without touching the temp gage (but shower curtain was very clean). TV reception was not particularly clear. Walls so thin you could hear conversations, televisions and other bathrooms. Elevator poor service (4 levels). Laundry area dirty. Morning breakfast was okay. I went to the General Manager (very nice lady) and inquired when the facility had become a Quality Inn and she advised it was 3 months prior (originally a Motel 6 or 8 - I don't remember which she said) and that fact explained why the property was NOT Quality Inn standards. You have done a disservice by not shutting this property down and revonating same fully before opening it to travelers as a Quality Inn. Also, the persons in the office when General Manager was not present were NOT customer oriented nor professional. I really am not interested in hearing employees discuss personal matters and evening activities and not doing their jobs properly (I was at the computer and they had forgotten I was present). I was not the only guest with complaints that day and it was interesting to hear what other experiences were and how same were not taken care of by employees.

Room Tip: Lower floor and be certain it is a renovated room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 7, 2012

While the location is great-the service (although the General Manager was extremely kind and willing to stand by their mission statement), the rooms (very old-needs upgrading) and cleanliness is not a top priority. Surprised as well as disapointed that this was on AAA's list. Try the Best Western next door-looked extremely new and clean! :)

Room Tip: Just pray you get what is told to you! :)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 7, 2012

It is the smallest hotel room we have ever seen (12x12) and stuffing it with table and chairs so you cant walk around specifically to the bathroom in middle of night, doesn't make it feel any bigger! Faulty wiring (electrical outlet plug and spliced/taped cord to loud mini fridge; hope it doesn't catch on fire while sleeping! Mildewed smelly drapes, no place to put your luggage and a cheap outdated Magnabox T.V. from the 90s.
Complementary breakfast including imitation eggs, make your own waffles, which was interrupted by power overload. The police were a few doors down on a fighting/disturbance call...which is not the hotels fault but not such a good thing...It was overpriced for the value; $39 is what it should be.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple