“Nice Place!”

Comfort Inn San Diego At The Harbor
Ranked #178 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 1, 2009

My Mom and I stayed here both the night before and the night after a Carnival cruise. We booked the Snooze and Cruise rate, which included the room, breakfast, transportation to and from the cruise terminal, as well as parking on the days we were on the ship. Parking is at a premium in San Diego, so this was a really nice perk. We were cruising with a group, which included a travel agent, and she booked everyone else at a different hotel because she had heard bad things about the Comfort Inn. We were not at all disappointed in our stay, though!

Both nights we requested two beds and got them. The first night we were in a first floor corner room - odd shape but rather large. We had the two beds, plus a couch, a desk, safe, ironing board. The bathroom was kind of small, but that was okay with us. My only complaint about this room was that it was hot. To be fair, it had been 95 degrees in San Diego that day, which never happens, so it stands to reason that the room was warm. It didn't seem that the air blew well, and the room was warm even after the A/C had been on for several hours. I ended up opening a window, and was able to fall asleep after awhile.

Breakfast is great, complete with a belgian waffle maker. This was a nice surprise, and more than sufficient.

Ground transport to the cruise terminal was awesome. It was not Super Shuttle, but a local service very similar to Super Shuttle. We were picked up early, and dropped off right on the cruise terminal pier. When we got back, we called the company to be picked up, and were asked for a reservation number. I didn't realize we had been given one and it had been written on the envelope that contained our vouchers, although it is very possible that we were told this when the vouchers were given to us and I just didn't realize it. Even with this, we were on a van and on the way to the hotel within 10 minutes of making our call. My car was right where we had left it, with no signs of any kind of foul play.

We were given a different, smaller room post-cruise, but it was more than adequate. The room was again warm, but cooled down quite quickly once the A/C was turned on. Much better than the day we arrived, probably due to cooler weather and a smaller room. Very comfortable.

The hotel advertises WiFi, but I was never able to get my laptop to connect. I am running Vista, and I am sure there is a setting somewhere in the operating system that was causing the problem. Their tech support was not able to resolve the issue, so I had to do without Internet.

The hotel staff were very nice, helpful and courteous. Rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. The hotel is an older porperty, and the architecture of the building reflects that. Don't let that scare you away - the property has been renovated and is more updated behind closed doors than the outward look of the building may lead you to believe.

The location is awesome, right on the corner of Scott Street and Harbor Drive. Rosecrans Street borders the other side of the property. There is a really nice shopping area not too far away, but I cannot remember the name of it. We never went there, though I wanted to check it out. Winchell's is right across the street, with other fast food type places up and down Rosecrans. The hotel is right across Harbor Drive from the sport fishing pier and lots of seafood restaurants. Straight down Harbor Drive is the cruise terminal; the maritime museum, which includes the Midway and the Star of India; just a little further down Harbor Drive is Seaport Village. The airport is close-by, but I never once heard a plane taking off. We may have heard one or two Navy planes taking off/landing on North Island, but nothing that bothered us in any way.

I would not think twice about staying at this hotel again!

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank ksm1968
athmanager, Manager at Comfort Inn San Diego At The Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2009

The staff and I are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us before and after your well deserved vacation cruise.
Our cruise and snooze package has been very successful since starting it two years ago and we are hoping for another great New Year.
The first room you stayed in does get alot of the day time sun where the temperature inside can get high depending on the time of year. We have replaced the A/C in that room and it has been doing a great job of keeping it cool even when the temperature outside is not.
Thank you for staying with us and on your next cruise out of San Diego, please give us a call. We look forward to seeing you again.

A J

Reviewed November 11, 2008

The hotel room itself was small and dark. Service was okay. The one thing that set me off the most was the fact that the ALARM went off at 2am in the morning!!! It was only in my room!! My boyfriend and I went to the complain and all the guy had to say was he apologized. No compensation whatsoever. I'm not staying here ever again.

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed October 13, 2008

I'm very dissapointed to stay in here.
I take a lot of times looking a right place to stay.
I read in the tripadvisor and look at the hotel website it seems good, but in reality super suck.
First of all, the bathroom is small.
Comfort Inn adverstised they have "heated pool" , I call them in the beginning of October to make sure the pool still heated and they said yes. When I went to the pool with my spouse I'm very angry, it's not working. One of the reason we want to stay here because of the heated pool.
In the room, the hair dryer also did not work.
Finally, when I check out I complain to the front desk, but he just said "we will tell the maintainance to check it out" errrrrrr, I'm super angry for all this situation.
What the hotel put in their website about all their amenities is a LIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
I will never stay there anymore.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
athmanager, Manager at Comfort Inn San Diego At The Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2008

Thank you for your comment. The hotel's pool temperature is maintained year round at approximately 78-80 degrees.

Manager

Reviewed June 29, 2008

We try to stay at a Comfort Inn when we are traveling on our own (for the points) and this one concerned me...until we showed up.

The property is right across the street from the harbor and in a very nice neighborhood. I thought it was going to be 'run down' but it appears the motel has been renovated recently and everything is in great shape.

We asked for a king size bed and got a room that had a small room off the side with a fold out bed. We could have put 2 other people in here easily.

The staff is very friendly and called to make sure we were happy with the accomodations.

Although we are just up from the airport, you don't hear the planes taking off. This is a much quieter motel than I was expecting.

Downtown San Diego is only about 4 miles down Harbor Drive, it's nice to be 'away' from the hustle and bustle. The property is actually in Point Loma, but San Diego is just a stone's throw down the road.

All in all, we are very happy with the room and the price was reasonable ($112 + tax / night). If you are looking for reasonably priced accomodations, this might be the one for you.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaAz-JT
Reviewed April 28, 2008

This is an older building that is limited by when it was build. The management is pouring money into this place and it shows. The breakfast was OK. Coffee and refrigerator in the room Room was very clean and odor free. I stayed there two months ago and came back. No elevator for second floor access, is about the only complaint I would have, but they put me in a first floor room so I don't have that complaint. It is a Comfort Inn in an older building. Everyone was helpful and pleasant and went out above and beyond to be cordial. I liked the location. Right on Harbor Blvd. and just a short hop from the airport and easy to get to all the attractions and Shelter Island. On the corner of Rosecrans and Harbor. You can get to the Interstates down Rosecrans and downtown on Harbor. Went to Cabrillo National Park nearby for a breathtaking view of North Island and San Diego. Don't miss a second floor restaurant on Shelter Island Drive (??Something??) on the Green. Sorry can't remember the name but the food was great and there are not that many restaurants on nearby Shelter Island Drive that are on the second floor. Ask and they will tell you. Get there before 6 PM for the value early deals. Great food and service. Try the home made potato chips!!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AZWhiteEagle
Reviewed March 4, 2008

Availabe photos on this site are outdated. It appears that the hotel was recently remodeled. This was a nice surprise. We had a non-smoking room with a king size bed. We found the bed to be comfortable. The room was tight, but fine for us. The stall shower was kind of small as another reviewer mentioned. We didn't have any problem with it. If you are tall it may be a bit of trouble with the low placement of the shower head. It was clean and cozy. Though they may have a bit of a mold problem developing on the ceiling. This was really the only negative. Also another reviewer mentioned that the walls were thin. I did hear some neighboring noise, but it was negligible especially with the heater /air conditioner on. The staff was very friendly, helpful and courteous. When we needed our toilet plunged they came right away and when we needed more toothpaste and toilet paper they promply gave it to us. We enjoyed the Mexican food from Santana's across the street and the donuts from Winchell's to note in case you need a snack or quick bite.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2008

stayed there pre & post cruise, clean, tidy rooms, shopping & restaurants within walking distance, complimentary breakfast was really good, close to airport & cruise terminal, we found it relitivley quiet even though there were some renovations underway, should be a real nice place when they finish, only hope they don't increase the price too much, only problem they only have one handicapp room, which was booked on our return, it would be a good idea to have more than one, the room they gave us instead was satisfactory although access to the shower was not good, they did however offer to try to get us a handicapp room at another hotel which we decided against as we found the service & breakfast made up for the inconvenience, we found the staff friendly & helpfull

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family