“Really Nice People”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Really Nice People”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

The person in charge at the Breakfast room was incredible, nice, kind and very patient, even though some guests had not idea about good manners.
In the front desk, persons in charge were delightful and social. They'd had a lot of interest in their guests. I'd reserved to stay a night. However, I’d changed my mind and asked him to stay about two nights instead of one. The manager was so kind and he had not doubts in try his best to find another night under same rate I found, when I made my reservation three weeks ago. I had really appreciated this.
I've really feel so grateful. Then after a long trip from Central California,I felt glad and finally, I could rested.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
New Mexico
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The location is perfect and the desk clerk could not have been more friendly or more helpful. The motel is old, not well-maintained, and not clean. It looks shabby and run-down. Water in the pool was stagnant and not clear.The room was not only very musty but smelled foul. We are brand-loyal and this Comfort Inn fails to meet the standards we expect from the chain. The blanket was shabby and did not inspire confidence that it was washed in the recent past. The carpet was stained. Staying there was an unpleasant experience. The room rate was low but, even so, we would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Riverside, California
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stay at A LOT of Comfort Inns, but this one was a pure example of why many people shy away from them, and why I would seriously consider not staying at one again. I don't know if it was just the room we got, but it was the most horrible room I have ever had at any hotel in my life. First, it smelled like mildew. I don't know if they have an incredible mold problem or if they use really smelly cleaning materials, but this room STUNK, to the point where I really thought I'd need antibiotics for my lungs after my stay. I would have switched rooms in a second, except I got in really late and had four hours I had to spend in this room from check in to check out, and I figured I could handle it. I never slept - it was terrible. I was spraying body spray all over, trying to mask the smell, but nothing worked. The bed... It was supposed to be a King, but it was a Full or small Queen - couldn't really tell. And it was an old spring mattress, and by old I mean the kind I throw out of my house after 10+ years of sleeping on it. My husband and I kept rolling into each other in the center. And the springs were lumpy all over the place. The pillows, someone else mentioned, are very small. They're square-sized and small, but they're like 6 inches or more thick. I don't know how anyone could be comfortable with that. The room I got was TINY. I mean, enough room for a bed and desk, and that's it. The pictures on the Comfort Inn website are NOTHING like what I experience for a room. The walls had been painted over so many seams and patchings, it looked like it could crumble. The electric sockets were not flush to the wall - they were poking out and looked like sockets from the early 1900s that were never upgraded. Even the power switches were crumbling and old. The bathroom door had its hinges painted over and it was SO loud and creeky, nobody could sleep through someone else in that room going into the restroom. And you had to force it to stay shut. The shower is an old tile shower - Tile on all 6 sides, like the kind of shower you see at campsites. It was kind of gross - I wish I had a pair of flip flops to wear in it, like I wear when I'm camping. The AC unit was pumping very humid, sort of cool air, and never cooled off the tiny room enough. There was a creepy window in the bathroom that led out to the street. I didn't want to leave it open, but the air flow was better with it open. I have pictures to prove ALL of this, so don't believe some of these SUPER positive reviews that you see here. I have been a fan of Choice Hotels for years, for their quality w/ value, but this experience was the most disgusting and disappointing I've ever had.
In regard to service:
In all fairness, the guy who checked me in at night was VERY nice. I'd give him a positive review.
BUT, the next morning when I had to check out and get back on the road quickly, NO ONE was at the front desk. I waited for a while, I called out to them, etc. No one came out to help me, even though the whole front desk area was all opened up and appeared to have someone there. I ended up having to leave my key across the counter on their computer keyboard and hope they'd get the hint that I officially checked out. That's another "first" for me!
I'D NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN! You couldn't pay me to stay there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I got into the San Diego airport late at night for a family trip, so rather than making a friend or family member wait up for us on a weeknight, we crashed here. Very close to the airport and easy to get to, the free breakfast was perfectly fine (nothing to write home about, but I always love me a waffle maker), and the bed was pretty comfy. The pillows are oddly small, but we decided they were actually pretty comfortable. And Winchell's Donuts (right across the street) is open 24 hours in case you get in late!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I stumbled upon this little gem by sheer luck! I booked a secret deal on expedia and it just so happened to be this hotel. I was SO happy that I chose this property! Not only was the location PERFECT but the room was clean and there was a mini fridge in the room that was not stocked with overpriced junk food and booze. That alone made it worthwhile because I was able to bring my own snacks and beverages and place them right in there. Totally hassle free.

The front desk agent working when I arrived was very pleasant, provided me with keys to my room, showed me exactly where it was AND even followed up our interaction with a courtesy call 15 minutes after I got to my room to ensure everything was up to my standards. I work at a 5 - diamond hotel in Scottsdale, AZ and was EXTREMELY impressed with their wonderful customer service at The Comfort Inn at the Harbor.

They also offered a complimentary continental breakfast each morning of your stay as well as free wifi. Like I said... I work at a hotel in the valley and we don't even provide those amenities so I was very, very pleased when I discovered them here.

The room itself was quite small, not much walking space but that was perfect for me. I was there to go to the beach, not to stay in my hotel room all day. The bathroom was also small but that didn't bother me. There was a safe in the room, ice machine right outside the door, plenty of hangers and lots of extra pillows. Simply perfect!

The location cannot be beat. You are literally 5 minutes (driving) from Ocean Beach, Mission Beach & Pacific Beach. It is also close to lots of small boutiques. Once again... perfect!

Overall, I cannot wait to get back to San Diego and this will without a doubt always be my first choice hotel! If you're looking for a nice place to come back to after a long day at the beach and just sleep / relax in your room. This is the place!

Room Tip: Rooms further from lobby are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Oaxaca, Mexico
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Our trip was better because the hotel staff was friendly and helpfull, Well location, if you want to walk you have the marina in front of, so for the price you get much more what you expect.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This older but well maintained hotel is in a fabulous location, at the entrance to Point Loma off North Harbor Drive 5 minutes from the San Diego airport, directly across from a marina and seawall, and just off the very tip of Shelter Island. For walkers, it's perfect. But it is also a good jumping off point, close to the Convention Center, Coronado, the Downtown area, Sea World, and the San Diego Zoo. There is bus service steps away or easy access to major routes for cars. My room was clean and adequately furnished. The bathroom is small and would be impossible to share at the same time for two but all fixtures were in good working order. A breakfast with suitable variety is supplied accompanied by a complimentary paper. For dinner, there are several quality restaurants within walking distance and many more a short drive away. There is a lovely patio overlooking the harbour with ample chairs and loungers to use. There is an unheated pool that was a bit too cool to try on this stay but one I plan to use when I return. I can unreservedly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling on a budget who does not want to sacrifice location when visiting San Diego.

Room Tip: No elevator so ground floor preferable for those who have difficulty with stairs. Ground floor also...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo