“Nice change from the regular”

Flavors of East Africa
Ranked #1,076 of 4,724 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: African
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Greenbrae, California
“Nice change from the regular”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I love Ethiopian so we gave East Africa a try. My kabob was a little tough and dry but everything else we got was very good. Friendly staff too.

Visited August 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Quite a taste”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a wonderful meal at Tastes of East Africa. Between six of us we shared 5 entrees and a double order of appetizers. The lentils were amazing, and the flounder for two was the table favourite. No liquor license when we went, but the server said he they hoped to have one soon. Instead try the ginger juice, it was very refreshing- I wish I had the recipe!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Erin V
Placentia, California
“an excellent suprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

We met the owner of the restaurant by mistake. He invited us to have dinner at his restaurant. He greeted us outside and gave us sambusa to try free of charge. I recommend those! The food was delicious and came in big portions.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Alli S
Oceanside, California
“Delicious!!!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Now this is some deliciously tasty food. I had never had Kenyan food so I didn't know what to expect. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. We started with some Spicy Beef Sambusas which were amazing. They actually were spicy but not too much where you couldn't taste anything. I want to have some of these every day for a snack! I ordered the Aliya which is dried beef and fantastic. The spices they use are amazing, the flavor was just perfect. My side items were the Nyoyo and Chapati and they were both also good but I didn't eat much of them just because the meat was so yummy I couldn't stop eating it. We also had great friendly service which is always a plus.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Aprilp2412
Cincinnati
“A must-try is in the area!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed across the street from this restaurant, so I was able to walk over and I am very glad I did.

I don't think I ever had East African food, but this was a great first!

The selection was great and the server was very good at explaining what everything was; he was also very honest when I choose one dish and he went back to the kitchen to see how long the meat had been marinating - he suggested I make another choice because he didn't feel I would've get the full flavor....how great is that!?!

What I did select...a ground spiced beef, eggplant side and flat African bread was delicious and really like nothing I ever tasted.

I want to use the word "spicy" but most people think hot or overpowering and this was not; the spices were very unique and mild, but made the dish. I used the very thin and plentiful flat-bread to scoop up the meat and eggplant....delicious!

The only negative, and it is probably more cultural, is the servers are not very quick (I had to get my own menu) and the food does take some time to prepare....nothing is fast there, even getting the check.

Most everything looks reasonable priced and the quantity you get is plentiful.

I would recommended this to anyone, even if you are not sure you would like this type of food - try it!

• Visited January 2013