“Fun Start to our Sunday Brew Crawl”

Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits
Ranked #57 of 438 things to do in San Diego
Hawaii
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Fun Start to our Sunday Brew Crawl”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This brewery was first on our list for our Sunday fun day of beers. We got there just in time (a small tour bus pulled up as we stood in line). We did the brew tour and our group was nice and small. Our guide was very knowledgeable and fun. You can tell he loved his job! After the tour we had a few tastings on the patio. We tried a few adventurous beers like the Thai chili beer but that proved to be better as a "shot" than a full glass of beer. But it was interesting. We would have stayed longer but had to pace ourselves for the rest of the day. Definitely worth visiting again when we return to SD!

Visited October 2013

San Diego, California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great place for happy hour”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Needed to meet a couple of colleagues after work and suggested we go here since it is near where I live. Not too crowded on a Monday evening, so we were able to get a prime seat on the patio. Tried a couple of different beers, but the Sculpin was my favorite. Very relaxed atmosphere in a pleasant office park.

Visited September 2013
LA (Lower Alabama)
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Fun Place”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stopped by here with some family on a Saturday afternoon. The place was packed with several buses dropping people off. Had some really good beers (the wheat was my favorite). Took the tour; it was very informative. They do not sell food, but on the weekends there is a caterer selling food outside.

Visited August 2013
Superior, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“VERY pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We visited Ballast Point on a self-guided brewery tour in San Diego and left California with suitcases jam-packed with Ballast Point bombers!

Even beers we usually steer clear from, we LOVED. I wasn't disappointed in one single beer, and we tried every beer on the menu. The staff was really knowledgeable and the service was great. (Amber is a sweetheart!) Their outdoor patio is really nice, and the prices are very, very fair. $1-$2.50 for a (generous) 4oz. taster. Their take-home bomber prices are awesome too.

I highly suggest the curry stout!

Visited May 2013
ogden
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great Tour”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

One of several existing and planned locations in San Diego County. Primary production brewery and distillery now running 24/7 to keep up with demand. Nice tasting room and patio. Some kind of industry and staff quarterly meetings at the time of my visit so it was really busy. Lots of beers on the menu. I tried the ‘Build Your Own’ sampler which is 3-4 oz. glasses of your choice. They are poured into pint stemware so the actual size of your sample may vary slightly. I paid for Nitro Big Eye IPA, Nitro Dorado IPA and Tongue Buckler Imperial Red. Since I was trying the nitro offerings my server also provided samples of the regular draft Big Eye and Dorado for comparison. I also asked for and was provided samples of the Thai Chile Wahoo and the Chipotle Black Marlin. I was in time for the 2:00 tour which was nicely done. Even though I have been on lots of tours it is still nice to go occasionally and see and hear what is going on. Saw my first centrifuge filter. Tour guide was very knowledgeable about the entire process including the distillery. Beer sales only, no distilled products at this location. You have to go to a store to purchase distilled products. The distillery, even though in the same building, has a different address. The distillery is inside a fenced area in a corner on the floor of the main brewhouse but no beer is allowed inside the fence...ever. California state law. And people think Utah has weird laws. We might have our share but so does every other state.

Visited May 2013