“Fun hotel to stay at”

Ranked #111 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Ottawa
“Fun hotel to stay at”
Reviewed March 24, 2010

The room was well furnished with a cool design. It was located a little out of the center but everything could be easily reached with a short walk. The rooftop beach patio was a fun place to spend a lazy afternoon. Service was without reproach.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed March 22, 2010

From the moment we pulled up and checked in the service was excellent, the atmosphere in the Hotel was always buzzing and the staff always friendly and happy to help with a small matter, a special mention for Melissa Humble whom was a complete star helping me in a happy and professional manner always.

New York
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I always have a great stay at this hotel. The hotel quality and atmosphere is excellent. This last time was exceptional made so by the staff, especially Melissa Humble. i was amazed she remembered me from a stay a couple of months before. She again went above and beyond to make my experience special.

Denver
Reviewed March 18, 2010

W San Diego is a terrific all around hotel. The staff is as polite and attentive as the Four Seasons. This is the only hotel outside of that chain that I have found that really knows how to treat customers. I travel to San Diego frequently and am always remembered by the staff. The rooms are cheerful and cozy with all amenities. It is also very quiet - everywhere except the lobby where it is supposed to be vibrant and fun. A special thank you to M. Humble of the staff.

skydlimit
Reviewed March 17, 2010

I show up, ask for a humidifier, 'cause I was flying out to San Diego and my nose starts bleeding like I had gotten my [--] whooped by Manny Pacquiao in the ring. I don't mean a trickle, I mean I had gone to the ER a couple days before bleeding.

I go up to the room, and they didn't have one. So, Melissa Humble in the front desk tells me to give them a few minutes. Next thing I know, Lupe in housekeeping went out to buy me a humidifier, AND brings me back some Vicks Vaporub!!!! I LOVE that stuff!!!! It cures EVERYTHING.
I grew up on that, and even had it for dinner on some nights when we were that broke back in the 80's!

As I went to pick up some medication, Melissa offered to have someone on staff pick it up for me! The only reason I declined was 'cause I wanted to feel the warm breeze.
Anyway, the location in great, the room is very nice, plus there's free WIFI if you're platinum.
I have never had a hotel take care of me like this before!
THANKS W!!!!

Los Angeles
Reviewed March 14, 2010

I stay at the W every time I travel to San Diego- for me its perfectly located a little out of the mess of the gaslamp but walking distance to everything- little Italy, the convention stairs (for exercise) and restaurants and convenience stores.

The staff at the hotel (my favorite friendlies are Melissa at the front desk and Eric at the front door/valet) is exceedingly friendly and accomodating. They remember your name, and your preferences and continually make me feel welcome- they genuinely seem happy to see me. It seems there is a club of us that is addicted to their hospitality... so much that we overlook the fact that the rooms are due for a "refresh"...

That's really my only complaint- while the hotel is stylish, well appointed, and comfortable- it just feels like some of the rooms are "beat" and need new carpet- but i'm fussier than most on this aspect of traveling.

Cincinnati
Reviewed March 11, 2010

Wow! I travel about 25 nights per month and rarely, if ever, do I encounter the level of service and enthusiasm presented nightly by the staff at the W in San Diego. The fantastic service begins at the front door where the valet and bell staff are always smiling and willing to lend a hand or open the door. Melissa Humble is the consumate hostess, greeting my colleagues and me by name as we arrive in the lobby each night. Melissa is always ready with suggestions for restaurants, activities, and consistently finds ways to improve my stay each and every visit. The rooms are always clean, fresh, and fully stocked. I'm continually impressed with the housekeeping staff and their attention to detail in the rooms. It's the attitude of staff and their enthusiam for providing First Class Service for every guest, new or returning, that make the W San Diego feel like home.