“Sand, rooftop, drinks, music... :)”

Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection
Ranked #107 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 1, 2014

All in 1 spot, you get to dress casul, put your feet in the sand, drink and dance to the great music right in the middle of downtown. I haven't stayed in the hotel but I'm assuming it's great by just walking around the lobby, etc.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Michael O, General Manager at Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Hello!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. While we no longer have sand at our Rooftop Bar, it is still an excellent spot to kick back with a cocktail. We have live DJ sets every weekend as well as many fashion and art installations throughout the summer. I hope we can welcome you in for a stay soon.

Michael O.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,799)

Reviewed April 1, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at several W Hotels and have always been impressed by the excellent customer service we receive. The W San Diego was no different. When we checked in, the smiling Alyssa at the front desk took note that we were in town celebrating my wifes 40th birthday. When we came home from a night out at the Gaslight Quarter there was a bottle of champagne and a piece of cake for her compliments Alyssa and the W Hotel. This is the reason I will continue to choose the W as my hotel chain of choice as well as recommend it for my company meetings (J&J).

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael O, Manager at Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Hi Charles,

Happy Birthday to your wife and thank you for celebrating with us. I hope you enjoyed the champagne and cake! Alyssa is an amazing asset to our team and she will be so glad to hear she made your wife's birthday special.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed a week at this hotel. They open doors, have ice water with fruit and rice crispy squares at the front door.

The hotel is secure. You get a card that you need to use not only for your door, but to gain access to your room floor in the elevator. A plus.

The rooms are clean. They look ok, but need new carpets and a little freshening with some new paint furniture. The linens are clean and the bed is very comfortable.

Do you say that the room is quiet? Yes... it is.

Would I stay here again? Yes.

Room Tip: pick any room above the 10th floor. Don't pick the east side if you don't like looking at a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael O, General Manager at Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Hello!

We are so glad to hear about your memorable experience with us! Our talent takes great care to ensure each guest has every request fulfilled and that your stay is comfortable. We are having new carpet installed very soon and hope this will improve the overall appearance of our guestrooms. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Other reviewers mentioned service above and beyond - this was not my experience. This was my first hotel visit ever in 500+ stay nights that the front desk pitched a higher floor room as an upgrade.

Flip-side - texting the bell desk promptly had vehicle ready curbside in every instance. Parking added about 25% extra cost to my stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Michael O, Manager at Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Hi Doug,

I'm sorry to note you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We do everything we can do upgrade our guests when they are available. If we have none available, our higher floor rooms have better views and aren't interrupted by the noise from the street below. I hope you found our talent helpful and friendly throughout your stay. Our Welcome Ambassadors are top notch and are always happy to help with directions, your bags and any other request you might have. I hope we can welcome you back.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

If you want cool... any W hotel is the best choice.
The room we got was awesome. The location of the hotel is ok. San Diego is one of my favorite cities. Staff was wonderful.
Only thing I dont get... wi-fi and parking isn't free. When you're paying the amount of money that these hotels cost you should at least get free wi-fi and/or parking.
Anyway. You can never go wrong with a W hotel. The San Diego experience was nicer than expected and this fine, trendy, cool, modern hotel had a lot to do with it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I love W hotels and try to stay at one whenever I travel. They are high class, awesome hotels, and the San Diego W is no exception. What really stood out though was Sophie at the check in desk. She knew I was having a horrible night and went above and beyond to make sure I had the best possible stay. I can't thank her enough and the W is so lucky to have this angel working for their company.

• Stayed: March 2014

Hello!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! Sophie always goes above and beyond to deliver on our Whatever/Whenever service. We agree that we are lucky to have someone like her on our team. I'm glad she was able to turn your night around. We look forward to seeing you back soon!

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Possibly the worst hotel I have had the misfortune to stay at & that includes Taiwan & China! Parking? What parking? $35 for valet the only option. Our adult Son had an enjoyable stay at W San Fran the previous month so he thought this site would offer the same - NOT. They lost our prepaid booking so I was forced to pay again on check-in, we were charged for wifi when my sons status included wifi, everything in the room had a price tag attached - very 'in your face- we want your money'. Sliding door on bathroom provided no privacy. Instead of our planned 4-night stay we checked-out first thing the next morning and found a far better hotel up the road.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank OneMoreRobot
Michael O, General Manager at Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. You will find that our parking is in line with other hotels downtown. We only offer valet parking because we don't have a garage to self-park in. If you'd like, you are welcome to find parking near the hotel. Our Welcome Ambassadors would be more than happy to help you in that regard.

We love recognizing our SPG members and do everything we can to reward their status. We offer complimentary Wi-Fi in The Living Room and encourage guests to come and enjoy coffee or a cocktail while they work. We do charge for items from our munchies box and Smart Water, but are happy to provide you with anything you need. Please give us a call at Whatever/Whenever and it will be delivered promptly.

I am sorry to note that you checked out early. We would have loved the opportunity to make your stay a memorable one. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

All the best,