“Trendy hotel with understated rooms”

Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel
Ranked #101 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
London, Canada
“Trendy hotel with understated rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

One of the things I like about the W is that their customer service is really consistent throughout the world. Whether I'm just popping in for a drink (or asking a staff member where I can go elsewhere to get a drink) at one of their bars or staying in a suite, I'm always treated nicely even though I look and dress like somebody who couldn't afford to patronize their establishment.

Pros:
- Attentive staff - at times a little too attentive. There was always somebody to wish me a good day, welcome me back, offer me help, or just greet me with a friendly hello. I'm very uncomfortable with people treating me like I'm deserving of attention and prefer to be left alone but I included this under 'Pros' because I think that's what some people want and expect out of a nice hotel
- Rooms - I like how the rooms weren't design-centric and dark as W is wont to do with their accomodations. I would describe the rooms as nice and comfortable but pretty banal (in the best way possible)
- Location - although we didn't take advantage of it because we were in San Diego to see friends and not to be tourists, it is walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter and lots of restaurants and bars nearby
- Bliss bath products
- Facilities - the "rooftop" bar was nice and so was the game room (they have a foosball table that we abused on our last night there)
- Valet service - pretty much perfect except for one factor which is addressed below in the 'Cons'

Cons:
- Rooms - Some elements of the suite were either cheap or getting a bit old. There was wear on the lacquer of the furniture, too much resistance on the sliding doors of the desk/credenza (this tends to happen with cheap furniture), and an oddly placed and superfluous light fixture by the bay window. The bathroom had an uneven floor and also, there was a giant chalkboard in the room but no chalk. None of these are major issues but I consider the W to be one of those places that pays attention to detail.
- Bathroom - The shower was idiotic - the water pressure was too strong for the size and design of the stall. All that separated it from the bathroom was a narrow glass partition (with a giant hole in it - we used the trash bin as a block) and water got everywhere.
- Valet service - we received excellent valet service during our stay but when we checked out, our car had been parked slightly further away from the hotel entrance because there were a lot of cars in the drop-off area. Rather than help us (or even offer to help) with our bags, the attendant just stood at his podium and watched us (note: this was a different attendant than the ones we'd previously dealt with). It felt as if because we were leaving, he didn't felt a need to extend the hospitality to us anymore

Overall, it was a pleasant stay, especially since we'd just spent 4 sleepless, showerless nights camping in the desert at Coachella. I would recommend this place is somebody asked but I probably wouldn't be emphatic about it.

Room Tip: If you have a hole in your shower stall like we did, use the waste basket as a plug.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael O, General Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hello and thank you for your detailed review. It’s great that you enjoyed your experience at W San Diego. I do apologize that the water escapes the shower; we are in the process of remedying that right now. It sounds like you had a fun visit overall. I hope you come back soon.

Michael O.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

What a great stay ! Right from the street curb , our impression was amazing ! The building was beautifully designed and the doorman were quick to greet Us ! The front desk staff was very efficient and professional , providing us with great hotel information about the Hotel !
Our room was very clean and loved the bright colors. As i was here to celebrate mu birthday , even the housekeeping staff left me a note saying Happy Birthday as they saw it written on the chalk board ! love the lil touch ! Love the hotel and will definitely be coming back to this location . Really enjoyed the front desk / concierge staff / front door men , very professional each and everyone of them '

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank PHXman55
Happy belated birthday! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your special day at W San Diego. I hope we can make your next stay just as memorable.

Appleton, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Rooms are great, service was great. Concierge helped us find our way around. Rooms were clean, not the biggest, but had a nice ambiance to them.
Bar is overpriced but right in the lobby and convenient.
Trendy hotel!
Location was perfect, right in the heart of downtown.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jessica P
Michael O, General Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am thrilled to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience at W San Diego. Please come see us again during your next visit to San Diego.

Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here at the end of March for a week. I really enjoyed the location; it was close to bus stops and the trolley system so we could easily get to where we wanted to go using public transit. The hotel was also close to the waterfront, the Gaslamp, and Petco Park and provided us with lots of opportunity to walk to different areas of the city.
We stayed in the Wonderful Room, and really enjoyed it. Clean, funky with its window seat, chalkboard, and awesome shower, and super comfy. When we checked in we were told that the hotel was going to be completely full over the weekend, and were asked to sign an agreement saying that we would keep quiet in the halls and our room. This was appreciated, knowing that we wouldn't have to worry about noise in the halls when we were trying to sleep and that the staff would noise complaints seriously.
Wifi was only available in the room if you paid for it, but there was free Wifi in the lobby. Because the lobby has comfy seats and has a hip sort of feel, I was completely fine with going down there to relax in the evenings when I wanted to use the Internet. Also in the lobby in the mornings was a selection of coffee and tea, always a nice option. No breakfast options, which is always disappointing in a hotel that is a little higher-priced than your typical family chain hotel.
Also in the hotel was a pool with a gym and foosball room attached, and a funky bar, again with comfy seating. Definitely some features that would appeal to young adults travelling as a couple or a group of friends.
We had a great experience here and I would definitely look into this hotel in other cities next time I travel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank prairie_winter
Thank you for your outstanding review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your experience at W San Diego. Our talent here are some of the best in San Diego and I love to pass along kudos from our guests! Our restaurant, KELVIN, is open for breakfast – I hope you check it out next time you visit. Thank you for your continued your loyalty to W San Diego, we’ll see you next time.

Nashville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Just returned from 2 nights stay at the W hotel San Diego. After reading trip advisor reviews I have to admit I was a bit worried. However, from the moment I entered the lobby the staff were all smiles and my worry slipped away. I was greeted warmly by the bellman and then the check in was a young woman who was all smiles. I had originally e mailed the manager asking for a room with 2 beds but they were unable to accomodate this. However, they more than made up for this by giving me a small hotel credit. The room was clean and my only minor comlpaint was the shower design. Spent time on the rooftop bar and had breakfast at the hotel restaurant..both excellent. We left on a cruise this past Monday and the hotel had a car service that took us down to the port. Very impressed with room, service and staff here. Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Michael O, General Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write your review and recommendation of W San Diego. We truly strive to exceed the expectations of all our guests and I am thrilled to hear we delivered that promise to you! I will be sure to pass along your kind words to our talent.
Any time you want to come back, please let me know.

Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

I've stayed at a half-dozen W Hotels by now, and this was the least impressive one of the bunch. It just didn't pop in any specific way. The location wasn't great. The bars weren't anything spectacular. The rooms were competent, but not anything extraordinary in terms of design, style, or size. Minibar was missing some items and had doubles of other items. The hotel has a big footprint, but much of that footprint seems dedicated to the attached restaurant. Service was inconsistent; there were three people available when I checked in at 2:00, and they were lovely, but when I went down to the front desk at 5:30, there was a seven-person line and one person behind the counter. Valet didn't know where the trolley picked up.

In short, I wouldn't tell somebody not to stay here, but it's not anything extraordinary or up to the caliber of other W properties in the US.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review regarding the W San Diego. It is disappointing to learn you were not pleased in your experience with us. It is our goal to exceed each guest’s expectations and seems we have fallen short here, for that I am very sorry. I have taken your comments back to me team to improve our services. I hope you will continue to consider us for future trips to San Diego.

Sao Paulo, Brazil
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

First time in San Diego. Did not know where to stay. We decided on W Hotel.
First, location! It/s right beside the San Diego Court House. That should raise a flag!
Not the best neighbourhood!
Second, make sure that you watch your bill. They are charging me for an 8-ounce bottle of water for 6 dollars and 34 cents!!! and I never enjoyed the bottled water.
Beautiful lobby but the rooms need a desperate upgrade.
Any hotel should provide a complementary Wi-Fi service.
I would not recommend!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank F1K
Michael O, General Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Hello, and thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear you were not pleased with your experience. I am very sorry if there was a discrepancy on your bill. Please email me if you would like to discuss further, GM.MichaelODonohue@whotels.com. I hope you will reconsider and give W San Diego another try.