“Trendy Hotel, good location”

Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection
Ranked #102 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed here recently with my boyfriend for a few days. Typical trendy decor that you will find at most W Hotels and the staff I interacted with were very friendly and helpful, with the exception of the concierge - surprising. Great location, within walking distance to the Gaslamp, Little Italy, and the Bay. It was a little cold, but the rooftop deck has a piece of art that doubles as a fire pit and comfy chairs. Rooms were cool, not crazy about the sliding door on the bathroom - NO privacy whatsoeva! Fitness center is sufficient, but small. There is a lot of attention to detail in this hotel, which makes the experience fun. Loved the chalk board in the room!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have stayed at this W many times over the last 6 months and so my review is an aggregate of experiences vs. just a single stay. In general i find the staff to be indifferent especially at the front desk. You have to ask about elite benefits almost every time.

While I was Gold SPG any sort of upgrade was quite rare. On one particular stay upon checking in found the bed to have been completely turned upside down with feathers on the floor. I was moved to a different room but the front desk manager made a point of telling me twice "we'll put you in an upgraded room..no charge" Really?

I've stayed here once since i turned Platinum and they did upgrade me to a nice corner room. This time not a single available outlet to plug in a laptop in the work area. It took about an hour to get that sorted out with a power strip. What really irked me about this last stay is the front desk person telling me that I don't qualify for Platinum amenity points because i booked a prepaid rate on SPG.com. Are you kidding?? Then getting just 3 starpoints total for a bill of about $200 and despite asking and confirming that bill will be emailed..that never happened either

Will I stay here again? Probably because its conveniently located but not because of attentive and warm service

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This hotel is true W style. Swank, trendy, cool and great attention to detail. The staff were very helpful and always positive.

The room was nice - comfortable bed, nice view of the city - but it was loud. The doors to the rooms are heavy and unless people are closing them softly, the sound of banging doors resonates - and it certainly did throughout the night. We could also hear the occupants in the room next to us.

Hotel gym was average. Had plenty of cardio equipment and nice touches (towels, water, mats, etc).

The rooftop bar is pretty cool - nice open air bar to have a drink and chill. The hotel restaurant is nice, but if you want a great meal and great service, wander around the other side of the bar to the Karl Strauss Brew Restaurant (www.karlstrauss.com). This place is AWESOME. Excellent pints, excellent service and great fish tacos.

Hotel was a short walk to the Gaslamp District which is filled with pubs, restaurants and shops. You can spend a great afternoon wandering around and taking in the sights.

Overall, great place - just fix the doors!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This hotel is super posh and the best price we could find with the location we wanted. Just minutes walking from Gaslamp, Little Italy, and Hillcrest, the W puts you right where you want to be for great food and fun nightlife! The hotel itself offers a really hip and fun atmosphere and an incredibly helpful and friendly staff! Every time we asked for a recommendation on a restaurant or a place to check-out, they gave us great advice that was awesome every time! The rooms were very contemporary, but comfortable with plenty of space (and a really cool window chase lounge!) They also offer a car service that will take you places around the city at no charge! I have nothing but excellent things to say about this place! A must-stay for sure!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JBthatsme
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay in San Diego! I am so glad you loved the location, we are conveniently located downtown between Gaslamp and Little Italy.
I do hope we can welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Its a very cool hotel with nice rooms and attention to details. The staff is friendly and professional. The bars and restaurants of this hotel is awesome and the after work lounge is great way to finish up work in a nice way.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MartinGranstrom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Spent one night here on business. Decent enough location that seemed walkable to many of the attractions/restaurants of downtown San Diego. Check in was smooth and since my room wasn't ready, the front desk offered to call my cell to advise when it was ready for check-in. I thought this was a nice touch and allowed me to walk down to the Gaslamp Dist for lunch. Bar staff and bell staff were friendly and welcoming.

Had a "Wonderful Room" which was starting to show its age. The carpet was dirty bordering on filthy in many places and the other furnishings in the room seemed dated and worn. The bathroom featured the usual W amenities, but the shower had a half screen, which meant that the bathroom floor was wet by the time I was done showering.

All in all, not the usual high-quality W experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Hello, and thank you staying at W San Diego on your recent trip! We do see a lot of business travelers due to our downtown location.

I am sorry to see your room was not up to standards, I will be sure to let our Style department know. It is always our intention to provide immaculate rooms for each of our guests.
I hope you enjoyed lunch at Gaslamp, next time you will have to try our new restaurant Kelvin!
Looking forward to welcoming you back again,

Reviewed February 9, 2013

The staff is very helpful. The decor appealing. The bed super comfy. But it's nearly midnight and I can't sleep because of the loud music coming from the hotel's club. I wanted a hotel for sleeping not a rave.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank christiepooh

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed the room and our Talent, but I am sorry to see your stay was less than relaxing.

While W San Diego does have a great Rooftop Bar, we usually do not hear too many issues with guests reporting noise. As a hub of the nightlife, we often have music playing, especially on weekends.

I do hope next time you are looking for a fun night out, you think of us.