“Good value”

Ranked #111 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
New York City, New York
“Good value”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel always has specials and we found our room at a great price/value. Location isn't bad and the staff is friendly and helpful. We had some nice drinks on the rooftop bar but even on Friday night no one was really there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank hoolifromhouston
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us at W San Diego!
It always a pleasure to read reviews regarding our Talent and service, and I am so pleased to see you enjoyed your interactions with them! We really put an emphasis on training, and I appreciate your comments.

I know we all look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Brad W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Was here for four nights. Check in was easy. The room was what I had reserved. The size was fine but the room is starting to show wear and tear and the deeply discounted rate I was paying did reflect this so I'm not upset. A good steam cleaning of the carpet and some furniture TLC would go a long way. Some minor wear and tear repair in the bathroom would also help, including the very loud exhaust fan. Other than that the room was clean and everything worked. The only noise I heard was the usual doors closing and the plumbing when my neighbor took a shower. W hotels have the best bathrooms and amenities. They also aren't cheap with the Bliss products. The location is right on the edge of everything, I walked everywhere. There was coffee and newspapers in the morning and water all day in the lobby.
I always like the W staff, always crisp and ready to go, but the staff here were truly a step above. Being here for a few days I interacted with 6 different staff members and every one was super respectful and always knew the answers to my questions. They even offered me an Acura ride to the airport since the airport is so close to downtown in SD. I've stayed in 6 different W's and the staff here were the most memorable as they all had the same great attitude and level of training.
I definitely recommend overall as long as the price is fair.

Room Tip: Bay view rooms are partial bay views, you are in downtown San Diego with it's tall buildings in...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We`ve stayed at many W Hotels and this one lived up to the atmosphere that we enjoy. The location was close to the trolley for striking out to Old Town, while being a slightly long walking distance to the Gaslamp district restaurants.

The room was clean and comfortable, and the charges were quite good if you can get a Government Rate.

Special mention goes to the complimentary selection of herbal teas you can get in the lobby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eric107_11
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us in San Diego! It is always a pleasure to have W loyalists stay with us, we appreciate it! I am so glad you enjoyed our completely renovated Living Room, and the complimentary teas! I know we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Simply put, would not recommend. Location is good within walking distance to the Gaslamp area, but the hotel had several major issues.

First, the room was not kept very well. Our bathroom had some brown stain on the walls and ceiling. No idea what that was, and we didn't notice it until the last night of our stay because the walls are dark colored and we didn't think to check the ceiling. That was really disgusting.

The furniture in the room needed updating. Actually, the entire decor of the hotel needs updating. Rooms are a stark blue and white scheme that really did not look good - perhaps if things were new it would look better. The hotel lobby was basically a lounge, which is great if that's your thing - didn't mind it but knew what we were getting into as this is a W hotel. The restaurant (Kelvin) has the ugliest blue and orange motif I have ever seen. It was a serious eyesore and I hated even sitting there. The food was not half bad, but for some reason, the restaurant was also freezing.

Security - house keeping left our door open all day while we were out (i.e. the door latch was put in place to prevent the door from closing). Seriously, this is completely unacceptable.

The title of my review says it all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us in San Diego, unfortunately I wish it was more representative of a typical stay at W San Diego. We pride ourselves on offering perfect rooms upon Welcome, and I will be sure to share your feedback with our Style Team as well as our Security Team. We take the safety and security of our guests very seriously.

San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Great food, Service was excellent, not over the top just very attentive. Glasses never low, food timed well and served hot. Server knew I had to get back to work and made it feel comfortable but not rushed.
Came during San Diego resturant week. Ususally suspect hotel restuarants but had a great experince. Looking forward to the next time

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thank you for dining at Kelvin during San Diego Restaurant Week! I am so glad to see you will be returning! We are also participating in the second week of Restaurant Week, so you have another few days for the special menu.

Hope to see you again soon,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

So happy we picked this little gem and got it for the price we did - on par with 3star hotels in LA for price but near 5 star for service and aesthetics.. Room was clean with great little goodies (body lotion etc) that retail for a bit in the shops. Such a cool feel and vibe at both the down and upstairs bars too. Only problem was having to pay for wifi and parking would have been if we didn't stay over a weekend. Apart from that all positive. Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed December 2012
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review of W San Diego! I am glad you enjoyed our recently renovated spaces! We are getting a lot of great feedback, especially on the Rooftop Bar. For your next visit, we do offer complimentary high speed wireless internet in our Living Room for all of our guests.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Brad
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Ill start by saying that I am on a 2 month trip staying all over America and resorts in Mexico, now so far the w San Diego has been the best. It just has such a funky vibe, great rooftop bar, definitely worth the dollars we spent on this, it would be in my top 3 hotels that I have stayed in for value for money, I didn't think it was very expensive either. Friendly service, we had a little bit of trouble with the Internet, but that was ok because they honoured that and didn't charge us for it. They also gave us some free cocktail cards for the bar. The gym was good with wood way treadmills which I thought was really good. Would highly recommend this and also stay there again myself.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends