“Not my Favorite”

Ranked #111 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Scituate, Massachusetts
“Not my Favorite”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was on business in San Diego and stayed in the W Hotel. Heard great things about this brand.
I was very disappointed in the quality of the room. Ikea furniture, no outlets to plug in cellphones or laptops. I had to move a bed stand to plug in my cell phone. A hotel that brands itself on being hip - missed it on the technology front.

The walls were paper thin and I could conversations and other activities in the room next door.

The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the bathroom and bath products were great!

I love Starwood hotels - now when travelling - I steer clear of the W brand.

Room Tip: Stay at the Westin down the street.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BOD M
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. I am sorry to see that your experience was lackluster.
It is always our intention to provide an amazing stay, and we usually receive great feedback on the whimsical designs of our rooms. I will be sure to share your feedback on the plugs, as we usually have dedicated plugs near the in room work spaces.

I thank you for your continued loyalty to Starwood, but I do invite you back to W Hotels on your travels. Please feel free to reach out to me in anticipation of your next visit, I know we can impress you.

Brad.wulff@whotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
USA
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I love the W Hotels. And most are fantastic. But the W San Diego obviously is catering to the drinks crowd as evidenced by their remodel of the lobby bar and rooftop bar while neglecting the rooms and allowing mold to be in the shower, the drain not draining properly, and the delivery of packages woefully delayed. The front desk staff are friendly, but as a whole, this W Hotel is a complete miss and I will not stay here again and recommend that you not stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. The renovation of our public spaces was recently completed, and we have received many favorable reviews on the new Rooftop Bar and Living Room. We also usually receive positive feedback on the design of our rooms, and I am sorry to see that your experience did not live up your expectations, nor the standards we hold ourselves to.

I will be sure to share your feedback, as any issues with a room can immediately be reported to our Engineering team for a quick repair, and I am sorry that you even had to experience it. A room should be completely ready and perfect for every arrival. Rest assured, your experience is not typical of a stay with W San Diego.

I will also share your feedback to our team on package delivery. I am glad you found our Welcome team friendly, but I wish overall you had more of a positive stay with us.

I know that W San Diego offers an amazing experience, and I do invite you back on your next visit to the area. Please feel free to reach out to me prior to your arrival; I know that we can impress you!

Brad.wulff@whotels.com
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Nice hotel, very interesting choice of decoration. I'm more of a Westin guy myself, but opted to try out this brand while in San Diego. Was upgraded to a corner room (view wasn't bad, room was huge!), and definitely enjoyed the large bathroom (spa tub, and separate shower). Had a few drinks at the rooftop lounge/bar, and wasn't disappointed at all -- decently priced, pretty good view of the city, and very unique/artsy. Only stayed for one night while in transit to another part of San Diego, but certainly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thank you for selecting W San Diego as your first W experience! I am so glad you had the chance to experience the Rooftop Bar. We recently completed a renovation of our public spaces, and the Rooftop is a guest favorite.

The Cool Corner rooms are one of my favorite room types, they have an awesome layout and our guests always love them.

I hope that we can continue to impress you, and I know we would love to welcome you back next time you are in San Diego.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stayed one night at the end of Thanksgiving weekend. Hotel seemed half empty. I'm a SPG gold member so I was expecting at least above average room. Room had view of dumpster and parking lot. Hotel is quiet but lobby And especially restaurant feel out of place. Food was nothing special for the price and restaurant was totally empty. Front desk Staff welcoming. Room reasonably clean with typical W "ikea" furniture - nothing special. Certainly other hotels in area would be better value for money and experience. Doesnt feel like a mega-hotel but lacks feel of smaller intimate property. Overall I'd say B- and consider it but look for other more centrally located hotels in this price point. Feels like its trying to be everything but doesn't do anything exceptionally well.

• Stayed November 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us in San Diego.
We love having SPG guests stay with us, and always do our best to provide upgrades when available.
I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy our new Living Room or our restaurant Kelvin. We have been receiving positive feedback on Chef Kevin Harry’s global Latin cuisine.

I hope you consider W San Diego on your next visit to the area. I know we offer an amazing experience that is completely unique in the area.

maine
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed at the W on a girls' weekend. The hotel staff was extraordinarily helpful and pleasant. The hotel had an arrangement with Acura to drive guests anywhere for no charge (but not return), which was a great perk. I agree with a previous review that the rooms look like they are furnished with IKEA furniture, but the beds were very comfortable and the bathroom updated and very nice. We heard no noise while in the room, and also had a glimpse of the harbor. The lobby, which was strangely decorated, but was a great place to have a cocktail. In addition, there was a comfortable rooftop bar with an unusual fire pit.

We thought that the real downside to the hotel is the location. Although it is centrally located, since there was really nothing in between the hotel and the convention area, harbor, gaslamp district, or shopping areas, it did not feel safe to walk home in the evening. Next time I would attempt to stay in those areas.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank julieame
Pasadena, California, United States
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Traveling for business often gets tiring. I look for a place that provides a nice break and a chance to unwind. I am very impressed with this Hotel W. Besides the hotel, on this trip, I had dinner at the hotel. Janee, the host, and Kimberly, the server made the entire dining experience a true pleasure. From strong recommendations for amazing food, to great friendly service and conversation warranted this review. I will be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us! I am so happy you found W San Diego to be a great property. We are very proud of our new restaurant, Kelvin, and I am glad you had a chance to experience the food and service. I will be sure to pass along the comments to the rest of our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

South Pole
Reviewed November 26, 2012

From start to finish the service at this hotel is 5 STARS! By far the best W Hotel service I have ever experienced in the 7 or so I have stayed. It seemed kinda quiet, which is of course a good thing. They upgraded me to the top floor with a nice view of the cruise ship terminal. I ate in the restuarant and again the service was VERY ATTENTIVE. The room was nice. It was smallish, but very cool. I would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here in the future if back in San Diego.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay with us! I laughed when I read the title of your review, it is always fun to read the varied amount of feedback we receive. I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us, and service based compliments are always welcome!

We truly appreciate the recommendation, and I do hope to see you back again soon.