“Top notch service”

Ranked #115 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Pasadena, California, United States
“Top notch service”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Traveling for business often gets tiring. I look for a place that provides a nice break and a chance to unwind. I am very impressed with this Hotel W. Besides the hotel, on this trip, I had dinner at the hotel. Janee, the host, and Kimberly, the server made the entire dining experience a true pleasure. From strong recommendations for amazing food, to great friendly service and conversation warranted this review. I will be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us! I am so happy you found W San Diego to be a great property. We are very proud of our new restaurant, Kelvin, and I am glad you had a chance to experience the food and service. I will be sure to pass along the comments to the rest of our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Brad W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
South Pole
Reviewed November 26, 2012

From start to finish the service at this hotel is 5 STARS! By far the best W Hotel service I have ever experienced in the 7 or so I have stayed. It seemed kinda quiet, which is of course a good thing. They upgraded me to the top floor with a nice view of the cruise ship terminal. I ate in the restuarant and again the service was VERY ATTENTIVE. The room was nice. It was smallish, but very cool. I would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here in the future if back in San Diego.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay with us! I laughed when I read the title of your review, it is always fun to read the varied amount of feedback we receive. I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us, and service based compliments are always welcome!

We truly appreciate the recommendation, and I do hope to see you back again soon.

San Jose
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife and our three year old checked in on Wed 11/21/12 with the plans to spend three nights. Thanksgiving day we visited the San Diego Zoo and returned back to The W. Our son was exhausted and fell asleep in our hotel room. He was awoken by loud music next door. Security came to investigate and the loud music stopped but continued after their visit. Finally the manager ALFONSO suggested to move us to another room on a higher floor. We packed all our belongings with a very cranky toddler and was told it would be the exact same room. I was quite upset that this was the best ALFONSO was able to offer us. After a verbal exchange we were kicked off the property on Thanksgiving. Look elsewhere if you do not want to be treated like second class citizen's!!!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank David C
Hermosillo, Mexico
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Had a nice stay in the W San diego. The staff was very helpful, they gave us a lot of recomendations. The lobby its small, but have a great eclectic decoration with a bar, and on saturday night,there was a dj. The front desk had complimentary little green apples in the deck.
We stayed in the room 616,overlooking the back parking and some office buildings. The room was a little more spacious than the average american room, with cool stuffs like the kaleidoscope, the ipod deck with great sound and the window seat. Loved the bliss bathroom products.
The location was nice too. It was in the middle of the gaslamp quarter and little italy.There is a seven store 2 blocks away, although I do not recommend walking at night, unless you are heading directly to Broadway street.
It was a shame that the rooftop was closed when we went,but we received a note from the manager offering free transportation and entry to the pool of The Westin hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hello, and I am so happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us. Our new Living Room has gone over really well, and the suspended DJ Booth is definitely a guest favorite!

I am sorry to see that Rooftop was occupied during your visit, I hope you return to visit us again and you are able to experience it!

Newport Beach, California
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We came for a special weekend mini vacation, explore Little Italy and enjoy a romantic weekend. Although we original planned tried to make reservations at the US GRANT, the lack of soaking tub had the corporate reservationist recommending the W to us. Note: call the W directly. We specified a room with a harbor view and soaking tub, but he apparently was not familiar with the Hotel, putting us in a corner suite with a city view. From the time we arrived the employees of the W were impressive and are the number one asset of the W. I don’t know when the W was last renovated, it was showing a little of it’s wear and tear but the room was large, with comfortable furniture, bed and very quiet. Friday night we were invited to a great party on their rooftop. We were told there were over 600 people. It was great and the music was LOUD. We never heard the party from our room. We walked everywhere from the W, as it's central to much of what we wanted

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us at W San Diego. I am so happy you ended up with us, and it seems like it worked in your favor as well.

We take service very seriously, and always strive to provide our signature Whatever/Whenever level of service to each guest. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to our Talent, I know they will appreciate it.

Our Rooftop Bar was recently remodeled, and is turning out to be a great venue. I am glad you were able to experience it, and still retire to a comfortable room.

I hope to welcome you back soon for your next mini-vacation!

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed here for five days recently and I was impressed most of all with the staff. The front desk folks went out of their way to help with everything and Jackie especially made it feel like I was home. She was super friendly, professional and helpful and had a lot of nice recommendations for places to eat and things to do. Alex also went out of her way and is a wonderful employee. The room service and cleaning staff are also top notch. By the way, the room was very nice and the window seat made for a great reading place. The hotel restaurant is limited, but again the staff there were also great. It does not matter because there are tons of great restaurants in the area. Little Italy is a few blocks away and an easy walk. I love this place and will stay here again.
I travel quite a bit and the W and most especially the staff made this trip a lot more relaxing and less stressful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 13, 2012

So friendly and helpful.
Jackie at the front desk had great suggestions for lunch and shopping.
Dan the bartender, super attentive. Alex couldn't have made our stay outside in the chilly weather any better. Heat lamps and pulled curtains to make a little room of fire and warmth.
Jackie great with remembering names, such a upbeat welcoming person. Great person to have as the one who makes the first impression.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us!

I am so happy to see that our Talent impressed you during your time at W San Diego. I will be sure to pass along the compliments! I agree, first impressions are extremely important, and I hope to welcome you back to W San Diego soon!

Thanks,