“Hotel and staff are excellent!”

Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel
Ranked #112 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My experience while staying at the W San Diego is unmatched. The hotel is beautiful and the staff treat you as family. I have to also say that the bartenders at the rooftop bar are great. Chris S. was especially great. He was incredibly friendly and was able to give us many great suggestions about things to do around town. I highly recommend the W San Diego.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us! I am so glad to see you enjoyed your time here, and thank you for the kind words about our Talent.

We are lucky to have a great team at both the Living Room and Rooftop Bars. Thank you for the recommendation, we truly appreciate. I know we are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I recently had to make a last minute trip to San Diego and most of the town was booked for several large events. I travel quite a bit and my friends refer to me as a hotel snob. From the time I made the reservation until I left the experience was one of the best I have ever had. At the time of my reservation they did not have the suite available that I was looking to stay in. That all changed upon check-in with one awesome front desk person by the name of "Jackie." Jackie went out of her way to find me the right room at a great great. During my stay I had many requests both for the room and my travels around the city and she handled them all with the same outstanding customer service. When I had problems with the taxi service she introduced me to a woman named "Maria" who runs a complementary town car service from in front of the hotel. This service was invaluable as she uses an air conditioner in her town car and the taxies never do.

The room was as clean and updated as I have seen in some time. Each time I needed something unique for the room or anywhere else Jackie was all over it. The restaurants and bars were excellent as well with great atmosphere and competent staff.

I highly recommend this property and well all of the staff was exceptionally competent I would look for Jackie to make your stay special.

Room Tip: If you get an opportunity the corner suites are an excellent value for the quality of the room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed at the W Hotel for 5 nights as part of a business event and while the service was great and room was new, nice and well kept, it was uncomfortable. All furniture in the room was fairly uncomfortable. The W Hotel chain is very contemporary and therefore the chairs and sofa in room have strange angles to them and are not very comfortable. Granted you may not be spending much time in the hotel room but if you need to take a business call or do some work, you are kind of stuck just sitting or laying on the bed.

Also, the room I was in, which is standard for about half there rooms in San Diego, had a living area near the hall entrance then you walked through an area that had a wash basin and a door to the right with the shower and a door to the left with the toilet. And then you continued to walk through that area to the bedroom...no walls separating the bathroom area from the living area...again rather funky especially if you were to have two people or a family staying there.

The location can't be beat as you are in the middle of the Gaslamp area and only a few steps from Petco Park and the Convention Center.

Food and drink at the W bars and restaurants is expensive so go explore the Gaslamp district for some great restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms facing the hotel pool area as that turns into a bar at night and has lots of tw...
Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Hello, and thank you for staying at W San Diego during your event. We appreciate the compliments, and I am glad to see that our Talent impressed you.

I am sorry to see that you found the furniture uncomfortable; we usually receive great feedback on the style and design of our rooms. You are correct that the layout of our rooms is a design feature. While we do cater to a wide variety of guests, it is usually adults.

I hope you had a chance to experience our newly remodeled Rooftop Bar, the firepit is one of my favorite features.

I hope to welcome you back to W San Diego on your next visit, I know we can really impress you

Reviewed September 27, 2012

W hotel is a nice hotel in a not really great area in San Diego. The staff service is awful, the minimum wait was 30 mins for a basic service. We waited around 45 mins just to have our room and around 30 mins to moove room! It was incredible for this category hotel!
They also wrong the right ammount!
Really terrible quality!

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am sorry to see that your experience with our Talent was anything less that fantastic. We usually receive great reviews of our service, and I apologize you had to wait at all to be checked or relocated.

I am sorry to see that your experience does not reflect a stay at W San Diego, and I invite you back on your next visit. I know we can provide you with a true W San Diego experience.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I'll start with a positive. The valet parking staff were very nice, helpful and knowledgable about the city. I felt my car was safe in their hands and they didn't miss a beat in opening a door or with luggage.
There was one guest ahead of me at check-in. It was later (about 10pm), but it took quite a while to get through the process. Maybe there was a problem with the one person ahead of us. There were two people at check-in, however. Once we finally got to the room, it was average, but nothing great. I've been to other "W" hotels, so I was expecting something a little different, I suppose. The hotel didn't feel very clean, either. I requested a blanket for the 12 year old and it never came, so he couldn't go to sleep for a while. I had to request it again and it finally arrived, but it took two calls and a lot of time. We went to the pool and there is a DJ just next to it with an open wall to the pool area. The pool is outside, which I thought was nice. But on a lower floor. And when people started coming in for the DJ, it was a little strange. Also, we found cigarettes in the pool. It was just not taken care of and I've never before been to a hotel with cigarettes in the pool. Nasty. Check-out was pretty non-eventful, but overall the visit wasn't worth it. We should have gone to a different hotel. I usually don't have the 12 year-old with me, but this hotel wasn't appropriate for a kid or adults who prefer a nice, clean place with a pool. The W sent their own survey and after I had gotten it back to them, they apologized and credited my "starwood" account 2,000 points. This didn't make me feel better. It seemed like a very minor fix.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Hello, and thank you for the feedback on your recent stay.
I am glad that our Wheels team impressed you, it is always important to have a great first impression, however it sounds like the rest of your experience was not up to par.

I am sorry your Welcome did not go quicker, it is always our intent to quickly welcome our new guests. Cleanliness is always a top concern, and I am sorry your room did not meet your expectations or ours. That extends to our WET deck as well, that is not how we keep our public spaces, and I apologize for the situation. I will be sure to pass your feedback along.

I hope we can welcome you back next time, and provide you with an amazing experience.

Brad.wulff@whotels.com

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We recently stayed at the W in San Diego for one night and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel just went through a renovation, so everything is still shiny. We arrived early and even though the hotel was full the night before, they checked us into our room early. The room was brightly decorated and spacious. While the hotel is not in the center of activity, it is in a convenient location to everything in downtown. We enjoyed walking down by the water, walking to the Gaslamp and Little Italy, and running through Balboa Park.
We didn't spend any time at the pool but were caught offguard by its size--it is tiny. I'm not sure it really qualifies as a pool. There is also a roof deck and bar.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I arrived last night around 9pm. 5-10 minute wait to check-in due to a handful of guests waiting ahead of me. The lobby area is very small however that also makes it nice compared to the overwhelmingly large marriott and westin properties. The room was the typical W style hotel with comfortable linens and modern decor. As always I love the Bliss toiletries they always have. My only complaint was that there a few small bugs crawling around in the bedroom in different areas. One on the telephone, one on the stationary and one on the desk. Glad I noticed them today as I was departing. The valet guy was helpful in flagging down a taxi immediately after I left. Overall short visit. This was not my first stay and although the small bugs were a disappointment I'd likely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on W San Diego.
I am so sorry about your experience, that is not typical of a stay with us, and I will be sure to share that with our Style team.

I know on your next visit we can really impress you, and show you a great W San Diego stay. Please let me know next time before you arrive, and we will be sure to please!

Brad.wulff@whotels.com