“Wonderfully reliable and chic.”

Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection
Ranked #105 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I've now stayed at the W twice in 2 months. The first time there were a couple of issues with the room (it hadn't been cleaned on the first day when I was out, and when I moved to the new room, cleaning supplies had been left in the room), but nothing awful. I am currently staying at a hotel in nearby La Jolla that is pretty disappointing, and made me miss the W! First, I can count on the Starwood Preferred Guest upgrade when available. Second, this hotel in particular is home to the best french toast in the world! The Coconut-Cornflake French Toast is just amazing. It's worth coming to just for that! Ultimately, the rooms are modern and chic, but the service is reliable and phenomenal. W seems to understand that when business travelers (like myself) are away from home, it's important to have service that creates the comforts of home, when needed. The rooms, the food, the vibe, the service...all are outstanding!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,799)

Reviewed August 22, 2011

The hotel staff was amazing and the hotel was very clean. We felt very taken care of during our stay. The only reason I did not give it an "excellent" score is due to the overall feeling of charging for everything. Wifi is $15? There are dive hotels which give out wifi for free, buses that have free wifi on them. To charge for Wifi just seems silly. That coupled with the drink prices, were what turned us off a bit. Otherwise a great place to stay.

Reviewed August 20, 2011

Even though the hotel is closer to the business district than to the Convention Center that I was attending, in did enjoy my visit. The first thing I noticed was the changing of the floor mats in the elevator, from good morning to good evening. The rooms were wonderful, with a very comfy bed and a window bench seat. And all the signs had a twist of words with W.

Reviewed August 17, 2011

My family and I went on a family vacation which we only get once a year. Being a single mom I wanted a wonderful trip as anyone else but was on a strict budget so i went on priceline and got a a great deal for the "W"hotel in san Diego. Everyone was raving about this hotel. When we showed up we were looked at up and down and from the very beginning ignored and pushed aside. They never told me that the parking was $35 a day or parking on the street was bad in downtown, I had to give them $200 CASH to hold incase of hotel charges. I have never had to do that before, giving a credit card yes but not cash....like I said im on a buget. Then room service for blankets and towles never showed and was ignored as well as the room was nice but reaked of marijuana so they said "we will have our stylest ionize the room for you"...WHATEVER! They tried to give us a crdit for food $50 but when we used some of it for coffee and milk for the kids they charged us $48 for 2 days....WOW milk an coffee. But, when i went down to ask for a blanket the 2nd day I talked to ashley the front desk agent. I told her everything the enire ordeal and she was shocked. She fixed everything in an instant......she was so apologetic and sent us up blankets and coffee pot for our convience. Then she sent up milk and cookies for my kids (which were yum), and ,such a suprise when we got back up to our room. When we checked out the last day i thanked her so much and said that she was wonderful. She was the only one that was so kind and didnt treat us like we dont deservee to be there because we dont drive an 80,000.00 dollar car. So would I recommend the W? HHHMMMM only if your into trendy hotels and if Ashley will be helping you.

1  Thank Kathleen W
Reviewed August 17, 2011

we were on the very top floor, last room. Door kept opening and making scary noises.. kept hearing people on the stairs but we were on the very last floor. elevators opening before we even pressed the button. our children were scared and couldn't sleep. no screens on the windows. and bad location alot of bums. no parking garage. had to move our car every 2 hours. worst trip ever.

Room Tip: just dont stay here!
6  Thank nicole m
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The W San Diego is one of my favorite business hotels. They offer full service but have a classy, fresh boutique feel. The rooms are nicely appointed, the bathrooms are always clean, and the beds are amazingly comfortable. I have stayed there many times and have never been disappointed. The service is also top notch. The employees are courteous and professional. Ashley, in particular, is great. She always has a smile and she consistently makes a great effort to assure that my stay is comfortable.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

I booked a night at the W San Diego when I was passing through with my fiance for a one night stay. It was our choice hotel and we booked it over a month in advance. I'm a Starwood Preferred Guest and although I don't have platinum status or anything, I figured that since it was our engagement trip that maybe the front desk employee would have atleast said congrats, but no....let me start from the beginning.

We pulled up in our rental car and the parking options were either valet (w/in and out privileges), nearby garages or street parking, so we did the valet option--no complaints there. When I booked w/Starwood, the reservations agent put a note in that it was our engagement trip. I didn't expect a room upgrade or anything, though a congratulations would have been nice. Upon check-in, the front desk woman gave me our room card and I asked if she saw my note. She said she saw it (no congrats on our day old engagement), but they were completely booked. And that was it. Hey Starwood, maybe throw a complimentary glass of champagne to your SPG guests if they just got engaged. It happens only once! Anyway, moving on....

The room was nicely decorated complete with a chill window seat. The bathroom had Bliss products and the whole setup was appealing. Everything in the room was overpriced from the $5 bottle of water to the whole room service menu, but that was expected. Whenever we had a question, the employees in the lobby, er i mean "Living Room" (part of their lingo, valet is "wheels," the gym is "sweat"...yea I'm serious. In the W info guide in the room, there was a whole key to decode the W jargon) were nowhere to be found. If we did happen to find an employee who seemed willing to help us, he/she was totally pretentious. Whatever happened to customer service?

All in all, the hotel gets an average rating from me, which is surprising because every other Starwood property I've stayed at has been well above average. It's pretty and all, but the staff needs a refresher course on how to be customer friendly. Take your business elsewhere. I expected more from the W but will never stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want a nice room, either be a SPG platinum member or pay up for the room you want when you bo...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple