Ocean Beach Cottages
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$421
$369
$479
$389
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$258
$249
$207
$190
  • Pool
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$233
$214
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites(La Jolla)
$255
  • Breakfast included
Blue Sea Beach Hotel(San Diego)
$351
$329
Official Site
  • Pool
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$316
$259
$314
$289
  • Pool
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$349
$289
  • Pool
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 2, 2008

We stayed at Ocean Beach Cottages during September 2008, the cottages are located in a quiet area of Ocean Beach and are about a 4 minute walk to the beach. The cottages themselves are a little bit dated but are clean and have everything you need. It felt like your home away from home.

We had a fantastic time, they have 2 bikes and a BBQ which we took full advantage of. Restaurants, bars are only an 8 minute walk away and the area felt really safe and we were happy to walk around at night.

There are a couple of other bad reviews, I just want to note that these date back to 2005, we didn't experience the same problems.

I would definitely recommend staying at this place and the price it can't be beaten! Go to their website for more info - http://www.theoceanbeachcottages.com/

Stayed: September 2008
4  Thank Itchy_Feet_London
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed July 5, 2005

My stay in this place was one of the most disgusting, horrible experiences of my life. My husband and I love Ocean Beach. We understand that it is a funky, hippie community. So we were super excited when we found the cottages right near the beach! We planned a long, much needed weekend getaway and were truly disappointed with our trip. Our first morning there, I went to take a shower only to discover a tub full of sewage about an inch thick. I was grossed out. We called for help, and they showed up about 2 hours later (we're still waiting to shower so we can start our day). They decide they can't do anything and tell us we'll need to go to another cottage- across the street. So we pack it up and move. Cutesy little cottage- I'm excited. Night time rolls around, it's gettin chilly (it's March). Go to turn on the heat. No heat. Doesn't work. Owner comes out with space heaters. They break. Can't feel my nose it's freezing. Owner says too bad. Owner then says he'll refund us some of our money. It's been 3 years- still waiting for our dough. I hope a lot has changed in 3 years.

• Stayed: March 2002
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NY
Reviewed May 1, 2005

When we checked in everything seemed fine. We went to our room and it was the usual motel style: old drapes and polyester comforter. Now lets talk about the bathroom: no hairdryer provided so bring your own, there isnt a real shower liner so all that there is was a shower curtain, the tub bottom looked like it was dirty (poor cleaning job), there was mold in the shower molding (beware if you have allergies). Once you get out of the shower the towels are so rough to use and thin. Have to use two to get totally dry.
Then if you thought of relaxing in your nice comfortable bed, think again !! Sheets stunk of bleach that they over dosed on, bed was horrible(my back hurt for two days and I;m in my 20's for god sake). Then it rained and the roof began to leak (in the motel room, not even the beach cottage). We told manager on day duty and they spackled it up and left the garbage we had collecting rain water exactly where we left it. No compensation, just a quick patch and they left.
Then came the fraternity. Running in the halls, yelling out the windows, talking so loud its like they were in the room.
Overall, I wouldnt stay there again. If your looking for peace this isnt the place to go. We went in april and it was slow but then these fraternity kids came and were up making noise at 2am and all the manager did was knock on their door. Thanks, really helped my 5 hours of sleep.
Even the cottages are overpriced when we glanced in them. You have no real privacy or family atmosphere when there are barbecue grills that anyone can use.
Its right on the boardwalk and within walking distance of Joes crab shack which was the only good thing about this place. Be aware of beach bum lady who yells randomly at people! Look elsewhere if your deciding on going.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 22, 2004

Me and my family stayed at the beach cottages and it was wonderful my kids loved it.... they felt right at home ... The atmosphere was very welcoming and cozy,. It is a block and a half away from the beach ... I suggest that if you are an uptight person or just not the relaxed then this is not the place to stay ... People here are very friendly and there is a mixture of everything...I reccommend this 100% ....

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Irvine, CA
Reviewed June 2, 2004

OK, let's get real for a minute. The bad reviews on this site have missed two crucial points. 1. You have selected this property to SAVE money. When you save cash on the rent, you pay in other areas. 2. This is a beach community. Most of these areas in California are full of twenty something surfers that are looking to live near the beach.... cheaply. This area just happens to have a deeper "hippy" culture than most. The pan handling isn't policed as heavily as say Newport or Laguna beach.

The good news: The property has several small, but charming cottages. Ours was just a one room bachelor, but it had way more room than a standard hotel box. Full kitchen is great for making food at home as opposed to eating out every night. Very short drive or nice walk to full grocery store and restaurants. The liquor store mentioned in another review is closer (a block away), but doesn't have a large slection. The walls are thick enough to hold out most noise. There was a loud party across the alley and we could barely hear it. It is close to all major fun activities, 5 minutes to Sea world and Mission Bay, 10 minutes to downtown and Balboa Park. It's maybe a block and a half to the sand. On a quiet night you can hear the surf with the windows open.

The bad news: The mattress rather sucked, but I find most hotel beds do. The shower was weird. the water blasted right at the curtain. Got used to it though. No TV remote (Dang when did I get that lazy?). Parking rather stinks, but if you have lived anywhere near the beach you know that this is life. There are three or four spaces dedicated to the cottages. They are first come first served, but we had no problem getting one when returning for the evening. The Planes! This place is right under the flight path for San Diego airport, so at 7 or 8am it will be time for rise and shine. They don't fly by every ten seconds however. We found it got us up and going for the days events. If you are a late sleeper (like me) you may grumble a bit. Washers and dryers are old, outside, and under the stairs, but what are you going to wash on vacation besides your bathing suit or that shirt you spilled wine on last night?

Finally, if you were hoping to spend $90 to $150 a night and get a luxury condo on the sand, you are dreaming. If you want super deluxe, pay for it. For the money, this is nicer than any hotel I have ever stayed in for the same price. Without the loud screaming kids through the paper thin walls. Ever wanted to live in a beach community? rent this place and you will get a full immersion into the life. Having lived in Newport and Laguna Beach when I was a twenty something surf type, it brought back some great memories.

I think you can fully enjoy this place as much as I did if you just remember that a day at the beach includes fun, sun, surf, good times, sunburn, and sand in your underwear. :)

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member