“Yummy sushi & Great Value”
Review of Ikiru

Ikiru
Ranked #1,232 of 5,141 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed June 2, 2012

My husband and I found this restaurant by chance, as our hotel is close by and we were looking for a place where to have a quick bite. We both are very fond of sushi, and eat it very often, so we though why not? It's quite small but cosy, staff is friendly. It's a open kitchen so you can see while the fish and when they prepare your food.
They have an excellent choice of sushi, sashimi, salads...so you can either have the usual (spicy tuna, salmon roll etc) or try something different. The food is also nicely presented.
The drinks are also cheap, my husband had a large beer and some hot sake for $6!
I would definitely recommend it and we are considering going back again tomorrow night.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Had dinner on a Tuesday night so it wasn't crowded. Extremely fresh sushi. Tuna salad excellent. Flight of sake for $9 a bargain. Service professional. Located in a mall off of Rosecrans Blvd.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

Can't beat price and quality of fresh sushi here! I highly recommend you make reservations as this place is very small and without reservations, you'll probably have a long wait.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

Came here for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it is instantly becane one of our favorite sushi joints. We're not a "regular" at many places, but this could be one of them. Everything was so fresh and tasty. We wanted to try a bit of everything, so got the C combo w/ 4 each of 6 rolls -- eel, deluxe eel, dragon, crunchy shrimp, Hawaiian and orange crush.

They were all amazing, from the simplest of the rolls to the most complex. They were really flavorful, fish was super fresh, and the rice was very tender. My favorite was probably the orange crush w/ spicy scallops, salmon, cucumber and avocado, but the crunchy shrimp and Hawaiian were good - they were all good.

Of course the grass always looks greener, and the table next to us ordered 3 rolls that looked so incredible I had to ask what they were -- rainbow roll (always one of my favorites), Five Friends and the Point Loma. Will have to try at least a couple of them next time.

By the way, this Combo is MORE than enough for 2 people. We had initially ordered the hamachi sashimi too, but when we saw how much sushi was going to be coming in this combo (all for just $28), we cancelled the sashimi. They confirmed it was cancelled, but then later brought it out by mistake. They gratiously said it was on the house (which we appreciated and tipped them well); so of course we tried it, and it was fantastic, too. We'll be back!

Reviewed February 27, 2012

We've been here a few times and the food is good. But the service is consistently lacking. They never serve is pickled ginger and wasabi with our sushi and sashimi, we always have to ask and it's always very slow coming, we're usually half way done with the food before it arrives. I always order miso soup and they never serve it, I don't know why. Maybe they're always out on the nights I come? If so, just let me know, it's OK.