“Extended Stay Mission Valley review st”

Extended Stay America - San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium
Ranked #217 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
San Francisco, California
“Extended Stay Mission Valley review st”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The check-in check-out process was quick and easy thanks to Monse. She was equally helpful with getting us connected to the internet. The room was ok in that the kitchen counter and the fridge was a good size.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Mission Valley - Stadium, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that Monse was able to make your check in and out so easy. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Arizona
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here for Memorial Day weekend based on last minute booking and value. A majority of comments were good enough, I inspected the area using Google maps (LOVE Google Maps!) and I didn’t want to stay downtown like we had before. The hotel is nice and out of the way of anything noisy. There is plenty of eating places either way you go, I recommend Sizzler’s restaurant if you want something close and want to eat your heart out at the buffet. We also had the Chinese food next door to Sizzlers which was very tasty and served on a bento plate. Togo’s was across the street and makes excellent sandwiches as well. Walmart, grocery stores, fast food places, gas stations and all the above and within walking distance! The highways are close by and easy to get to if you plan on exploring San Diego. The building itself is in great condition, the grounds were well maintained, however there was a door that did not work at night with the key, so we had to go around to the next door. The lobby was nice and well put together, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I was even offered printed out directions for a place I was inquiring about!

So on to the full report…

On our way into California we had a call asking when we would be expecting to check in; the check in time was 3pm so we planned our route to be there for 3pm or a little after. This kind of worried me since I’ve never had that asked before, so my only assumption was that they had overbooked. Either way, we arrived 330pm. We were told that no rooms were available yet. There were rooms being cleaned at the moment if we wanted to wait. No big deal, we walked around outside and stretched our legs. 10 minutes later we were told our room was ready. Great! Got our keys and on our way up to the 3rd floor with all our stuff in toe. Exiting the elevator I smelled a heavy whiff of cigarette smoke. We walked down the hallway and noticed that the rooms do not have Non-Smoking signs, so when we entered the room I called down to the front desk and wanted to confirm that this was a smoking room, I was asked what my name was, was put on hold, then she apologized because they had no record of anyone staying in this room…then at that point she confirmed it was a smoking room. I told her that we had specifically booked a non-smoking room and that we cannot stay in here; they did their best to hide the nicotine smell but the odor eliminating chemicals they used were a little too heavy for me to deal with. We went back to the lobby and we were told that the non-smoking rooms were being cleaned if we wanted to wait again. At this point, with everything out of the car and in the lobby, we really didn’t have a choice. It wasn’t long, about another 10 minutes or so before we were told it was ready. The manager, I assume she was the manager, came out and apologized for the inconvenience and handed me a 1 night stay free voucher at any of the Extended Stay locations. I thought that was pretty generous of her to do that! So up to the 2nd floor, all rooms on this floor are non-smoking…good start! We had a room right off the stairwell and next to a “Trash Room”, briefly will mention this later. The housekeeping was still in the room cleaning so we waited outside in the hall until they were done, really nice ladies but I think they must have felt rushed because we were standing right there. Which when rushed, things get missed…

First off, the room is VERY pleasing to the eye. The one thing I notice about other people comments is about the décor. I never understood why this matters, but it’s obvious it does. The room is up to date with contemporary art and furniture, and yes, a flat screen TV with HDMI. The bed was pretty stiff, a nice touch with firm and soft pillows to choose from. The paint looked new; the carpet was fairly clean looking. The bathroom was sufficient with one minor drawback of a very slow draining sink, and the kitchen was to be expected. We never used any of the kitchen amenities, only the toaster. The comment before about things being missed, the countertop was encrusted with food and smeared stains, along with food stuck in the kitchen drain. Again, maybe this would have been cleaned better if the housekeeper wasn’t worried about us being there? I mentioned the next door “Trash Room” next door. I’m not sure what it was exactly used for, but randomly at night we heard some kind of machine noise coming from that side of the wall…maybe a trash compactor? It wasn’t a constant noise that it was worth moving rooms over. The 2nd night we were there, we heard people above us and in the room next to us talking, using the TV and plugging things into their electrical sockets.

The breakfast was a choice of 2 flavors of Otis Spunkmeyer muffins, Quaker’s Oatmeal To Go bars, granny smith apples and oranges. There was Arabic and Columbian regular coffee and 3 flavors of Coffee Mate creamers to choose from, hot chocolate, and hot water. They had oatmeal packets, which means bring your bowl with you or take a cup of hot water with you back to your room.

They also have some items at the front desk in case you forgot to pack them such as toothpaste; toothbrushes etc. and they even have bags of popcorn for you to pop in your room. I thought that was a nice touch. The laundry room was on the 1st floor, didn’t have to use it so not going to comment. There were vending machines next to the laundry room; we never found any place to refill our water bottles on the premises so we ended up buying some in the vending machine. A side note, in the rooms they provide a filtered water attachment to the sink head, but I didn’t want to chance it since I really don’t know how often they change the filters etc.

Keep in mind, since this is an extended stay hotel you will not get housekeeping service if you stay less than 8 nights. So if you need fresh linens etc. then you will need to go to the front desk and ask for them. Also, there isn’t anyone that works the front desk after 11pm from what we were told.

I would definitely stay here again if I was to visit San Diego, even with the minor flaws and hiccups we encountered. They more than made up for it with kindness and generosity which is why I will recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CampAdvisor
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Enjoy the accessibilty, kitchenette, LG Flat Screen. Laundry facilities are great. Close to shopping and soooo many food choices. PAPA JOHNS' and BASKIN-ROBBINS within a block! GIVE A GUY A BREAK!!! Wal-Mart, Fry's, Vons' within a couple of minutes. Very helpful staff. No nonsense. A minute or two from major Interstate, but, you don't hear the Interstate. Always a plus. A minute or two from another Interstate. Very easy to get to and from. This may seem odd, but, the parking spaces seem to be spaced much better than any other facility. Great Bathroom with excellent shower. Comfortable workspace for my personal Time-out from the job for more rewarding work. Internet service is very fine. All +++s.

Room Tip: All rooms are quieter since they face north and south and the Interstate is east. I don't get on...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SMF56
MRLewis1970
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed at Extended Stay on Murphy Canyon Rd in San Diego from 05/03/2013 through 05/07/2013. The room was very nice. Loved having a kitchenette available - even though I never got a chance to cook there. The staff was very helpful and polite. Gave us help on places to go and eat. We really enjoy our stay here. Room was very clean. Only problem I had was the bed mattresses were very hard. But staff advised they were working on that. So if we ever make it back to California - I'm sure we'll be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. Please accept our apologies that you did not find our mattresses to be comfortable. Please know, we are currently working to replace all of our bedding in the near future. Still, we are happy to know that you loved your room, which is something we take pride in.

San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here long time. Everything was great. So nice work and good price. Free wifi and breakfast. I enjoy stay here. Especially the front desk is really really nice. Here is maybe not the best hotel I have been, but here is the best Service. But just some time the alert of fire will be so loud, and I don't know why.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Smelly pillow and I wonder when was the last time they changed a new set of pillow? Stinky corridor! Furthermore no daily housekeeping provided! We have booked two nights stay but I can't wait to move out after one night! It's an awful experience and I will not go back again!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank su80
Yuba City
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel with my husband & parents. We were in the area for a family gathering. The hotel was in good condition and the staff was great. Everyone we talked to was friendly and accomodating for the most part. I will point out that this hotel is definitely based on it's name...Extended Stay. In the future, I would not stay here for a short trip. It's definitely meant to be for folks staying longer periods of time. I loved that there was a full fridge, small stove, desk, free wifi, etc...everything you would need in a home away from home. But, the downside is that they don't really have daily maid service and you have to get new towels yourself from the front desk, which is fine. I just wasn't expecting that. They also do not have hair dryers in the room. That was problem since we didn't pack one. Also be mindful that not every Extended Stay America has the ammenities that they list on the website. This location does not have a gym, pool or really any of the extras that they list on the website (they DO have a laundry room). I didn't really have time to use any of those, but it would have been nice to know that they weren't available since my mom wanted to work out and swim. The website also said that they had remodeled the rooms. I think they must have just replaced the beds becuase mine was like sleeping on a piece of wood with a cotton ball over it. It was so hard and I prefer a softer mattress. If you like a firm bed, this is definitely a place for you. My only actual valid complaint is that the room was not cleaned or maintained very well. When I went to use the bathroom, the top of the toilet was covered with dust that was caked on with hairspray. I had to wet one of our towels to clean it off. In addition someone previously had spilled their coffee (I'm assuming it was coffee) and it splattered all over the door to the bathroom...I know this becuase I ended up cleaning it off the door. And the floor was not cleaned well. I would walk around for a short bit and then have really dirty feet. My parents bathroom sink was missing the drain plug which resulted in my mom's watch going down the drain when it fell off. We called the front desk for help and we were told that maintenance was not available every day and there was nothing they could do. Luckily we had some florists wire and we were able to use some to fish it out. My parents also had to have their room keys replaced 3 times becuase they stopped working. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad hotel by any means and if I had to be in San Diego for an extended period of time, I would definitely consider staying here again. We just ran into minor issues but we were able to fix them easily.

Room Tip: King rooms are only a little more each night and they are a lot bigger... Opt for a king room if you...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Fauneil
The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. Thank you for your kind words about our friendly, accommodating staff and all of the amenities our hotel has to offer. Still, I am sincerely sorry that the level of cleanliness in your room was not in line with our company's standards. In response, I have discussed your comments with the team, and we are focusing on improving our cleaning procedures and inspection policies to ensure a situation like yours does not happen again.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at skm@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.